Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sway bars vs understeer

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 11:53 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm Swanberg
I agree that a car needs to be safe on the track as well as the highway. I purchased a KLA front sway bar support kit along with the Delrin bushing set for the inside. That should allow the inner sway bar mounting points to take some additional stress.
My comment regarding additional stresses being placed on the front sway bar mounting point had to do with the frame rail itself, rather than the sway bar mounting hardware. There have been instances where the frame rail itself has deformed and/or cracked where the front sway bar mounts are bolted to the rail. The reason I mentioned this earlier, is because in your particular case with severe suspension movement, adding a larger front sway would increase the likelihood of having this problem occur. Not saying it would, but could, so it's something to consider. I have seen a cracked frame rail at that mounting point on a local owner's car.

I also seem to recall someone posting a thread about this with pictures, but doing a quick search turned up nothing.

Adding the KLA front sway bar support kit and delrin inner bushings, with all else remaining the same, would place even more stress on the frame rail mounting holes because there would be less absorption of energy through movement. However, it now sounds like you are considering upgrading the front springs which IMO is a good thing.

You asked about the stock front spring rate. I 'think' it's 180-something pounds, hopefully someone will chime in with the correct figure.

It sounds like you are on the right track though Norm.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

You are probably right that I will decide new springs are also needed. If I had added stiffer front springs and front sway bars while doing nothing to the back, I would have had lots of understeer. Buying used springs does not sound too interesting. I have used springs. If I get new springs I will know what I am getting. I would not want the stiffest springs available and stock height seems best. I have no idea what the rating of the stock springs was when they were new. Weltmeister makes 220 Lb stock height springs. How do these compare with mine when new? Is this a reasonable choice? Any suggestions?
Stock spring rates on a 951 are 125 lb, which is also the effective rate of the stock 23.5 mm rear torsion bars. Very soft. The M030/Turbo S spring rate was only 160 lb. 220 lb springs are therefore 75% stiffer than stock, and by themselves will lead to considerable understeer.

The Weltmeister 22 mm rear sway bar will likely be able to balance out this understeer. Based on my eperience with balanced spring rates, the Welt 22 mm rear bar was too stiff even on full soft for a 30 mm 968 M030 front sway bar, let alone a stock 968 26.8 mm bar. It should have no problem balancing out your mismatched spring rates. I agree that it is a compromise that is not as good as going with balanced spring rates, but it should work. Changing out rear torsion bars to match the front spring rates would be better, but changing torsion bars is not for the faint-hearted.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Norm Swanberg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not going to risk cracked frame rails. I need new front springs. Thanks for not letting me learn this the hard (cracked) way. You have already given me some good input on what to get. Any additional input would be greatly appreciated. My parts manual says there were three different springs, up to 1988. Mine have two yellow dots, which they say means 3118-3202 N when compressed to 251 MM. Does this translate into 125 Lbs?
Thanks,
Norm

Last edited by Norm Swanberg; 09-07-2007 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

My parts manual says there were three different springs, up to 1988. Mine have two yellow dots, which they say means 3118-3202 N when compressed to 251 MM. Does this translate into 125 Lbs?
Yes. The FSM gives the spring rate as 21.8 N/mm. 21.8 N/mm / 9.81 m/s^2 = 2.22 kg/mm x 2.212 lb/kg = 4.91 lb/mm x 25.4 mm/in = 125 lb/in.
Uncompressed spring length is given by FSM as 396 mm. Compressed length = 251 mm so the spring is compressed 396 mm - 251 mm = 145 mm. Tolerance group spring force is listed as 3118 N to 3202 N for two yellow dots. 3118 N / 145 mm = 21.5 N/mm. 3202 N / 145 mm = 22.1 N/mm. Therefore the spring rate for tolerance group 2 (2 yellow dots) is approximately 21.8 N/mm +/- 0.3 N/mm = 125 lb/in +/- 4.3 lb/in = 121 lb/in to 129 lb/in.

HTH. Don
Old 09-08-2007, 08:39 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Waterguy
Yes. The FSM gives the spring rate as 21.8 N/mm. 21.8 N/mm / 9.81 m/s^2 = 2.22 kg/mm x 2.212 lb/kg = 4.91 lb/mm x 25.4 mm/in = 125 lb/in.
Uncompressed spring length is given by FSM as 396 mm. Compressed length = 251 mm so the spring is compressed 396 mm - 251 mm = 145 mm. Tolerance group spring force is listed as 3118 N to 3202 N for two yellow dots. 3118 N / 145 mm = 21.5 N/mm. 3202 N / 145 mm = 22.1 N/mm. Therefore the spring rate for tolerance group 2 (2 yellow dots) is approximately 21.8 N/mm +/- 0.3 N/mm = 125 lb/in +/- 4.3 lb/in = 121 lb/in to 129 lb/in.

HTH. Don
You owe me two aspirin.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Norm Swanberg
Advanced

I took it to the track yesterday. It now has the 26.8 front and Weltmeister rear sway bars and 220lb front springs. It does not rub and I was able to adjust it to neutral.
Thanks for your input.
Norm
Old 09-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Originally Posted by shiners780
The problem as I see it with Norm just adding a larger sway is that he is asking the sway bar to do what the spring is intended to do. Sway bars are for fine tuning, not for holding up the car. If the tires are rubbing the top of the fender liners then the springs need upgrading.

A couple problems that I could foresee are 1) balljoints binding from too much suspension travel, and 2) additional forces on the sway bar inner mounting points could cause them to crack.

If you wanna play, you gotta play. Cheaping out when tracking your car is just asking for trouble.

I came away from a track day yesterday at Watkins Glen with a real bad taste in my mouth from people doing stupid things, two incidents of which came real close to wrecking me...too damn close.

I apologize in advance if I sound harsh or patronizing, but please make sure your car is track worthy before putting yourself and others at risk. Not saying you are, but just to think long and hard about what you are doing.

I have done 1 DE at the Fest last year and I totally agree with Shiners!!! That cars the fest last year were good but I REALLY got me thinking about other peoples car's out there. I know how I take care of my car and what not but I don't have personal experience with others car like suspension or BRAKES! That was one that kind of made me worry when you really think about it, you are at the end of the back straight at a high speed when "BOOM" you are spinning around and off the track because someone's brakes went out and went right into you.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:28 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keithr726
Sorry to hijack but should my AC compressor be contacting my sway bar?
no. it shouldn't touch. One of those components is improperly installed. Check to make sure that the rear bolt is in the a/c compressor.

Back to the original topic.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:39 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shiners780
You owe me two aspirin.
Originally Posted by Waterguy

HTH. Don
Waterguy, I've been out of school for 15+ years and like to do things the easy way which usually doesn't involve the constant of gravitational acceleration.

21.8 N/mm * .224809lb/N * 25.4mm/in = 125 lb/in

Better Shiners780?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithr726
Sorry to hijack but should my AC compressor be contacting my sway bar?

no. it shouldn't touch. One of those components is improperly installed. Check to make sure that the rear bolt is in the a/c compressor.

Actually the compressor is probably installed correctly. This is common on 944's. The AC compressor is not designed to fit exclusively on a 944. It is more of a universal AC compressor that can fit other cars. Because of this it has mounting tabs that are not used when mounted on a 944. The lower tab that is unused can and will rub on the 944 sway bar. This is not good, as it will rub off the paint, rust can set in and I have heard of sway bars breaking at this junction. What I do is take a sawzall and cut off the unused lower compressor bracket.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:11 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hmmm. I only had the problem when the rear bolt was missing. Ofcourse it also could have to do with specific belt tension. As it (the belt) gets older the compressor will have to rotate farther.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Norm Swanberg
Advanced

In response to the comments about track safety, I think it is good to encourage others to take this seriously. I have heard many times #1 be safe, #2 have fun and #3 go faster. I think this is good advice. I have not spun in 23 track days. I feel safer on the track than I do on the highway. Combined speeds of cars going in opposite directions often exceeds track speeds. What percentage of cars on the highway have checked tire pressure or anything in the last month? I feel the drivers I have shared the track with have been sane, sober and actually paying attention to driving. This is more than you can say about alot of highway drivers. I have mostly run with Northern California Racing Club and Trackmasters. I have heard favorable comments about several other groups. I have heard some negative comments about another group. If you feel other drivers are on the wild side, perhaps another group would be better. I know nothing of groups in your area. Keep the shiny side up,
Norm
Old 09-23-2007, 10:19 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

In response to the comments about track safety, I think it is good to encourage others to take this seriously. I have heard many times #1 be safe, #2 have fun and #3 go faster. I think this is good advice. I have not spun in 23 track days. I feel safer on the track than I do on the highway. Combined speeds of cars going in opposite directions often exceeds track speeds. What percentage of cars on the highway have checked tire pressure or anything in the last month? I feel the drivers I have shared the track with have been sane, sober and actually paying attention to driving. This is more than you can say about alot of highway drivers. I have mostly run with Northern California Racing Club and Trackmasters. I have heard favorable comments about several other groups. I have heard some negative comments about another group. If you feel other drivers are on the wild side, perhaps another group would be better. I know nothing of groups in your area. Keep the shiny side up,
Norm
Norm, I agree completely ^ ^ ^ and after reading more of your posts on the topic my initial statement was probably unnecessary.

Regarding choosing another group to run with...I and several others I spoke to have many track days with this group. We have never experienced this level of incompetence before. I don't know if the open track screening process needs to be tightened up or what, but we were all surprised.

Unfortunately, this was the first event I have done all season without my video camera in the car. It certainly would have made for some good commentary.
Originally Posted by kevincnc
21.8 N/mm * .224809lb/N * 25.4mm/in = 125 lb/in
Better Shiners780?
Um, yeah, sure...
Old 09-24-2007, 02:26 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ehall

Originally Posted by Bill
Actually the compressor is probably installed correctly. This is common on 944's. The AC compressor is not designed to fit exclusively on a 944. It is more of a universal AC compressor that can fit other cars. Because of this it has mounting tabs that are not used when mounted on a 944. The lower tab that is unused can and will rub on the 944 sway bar. This is not good, as it will rub off the paint, rust can set in and I have heard of sway bars breaking at this junction. What I do is take a sawzall and cut off the unused lower compressor bracket.
I had it cut off at a shop last week. There is a good sized dent in the bar now. I guess its time for a upgrade.

Quick Reply: Sway bars vs understeer