Pictures of My Fully Thermal Sleeved Engine Harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:54 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Pictures of My Fully Thermal Sleeved Engine Harness

Well after several days of work my wiring project is finally complete. My original harness was starting to have the typical dried out injector harness and reference sensor plugs. I ended up buying a decent used harness and ordered all the replacement harnesses Lindsey Racing currently sells, injector, knock, and reference sensors. I also got a roll of thermal sleeving to recover everything else to match and also protect from heat. I wanted a better harness then I had since the PO had made some horrible connections near the DME and KLR, and I also wanted to be able to just work on the whole thing while it sat in front of me on my work bench. I fed all the new stuff through the snorkel so it would be a clean stock looking install. Everything else I seperated slowly and removed the pins from the DME and KLR plugs and replaced any questionable spots and then covered it in the thermal sleeving and reinstalled. I removed all the dried out plastic coverings, and where it was needed put in spiral wrap and then covered that with the sleeving. I also hated working on the harness since it was covered in that nasty goo from friction tape, so I cleaned off all the adhesive and used black velcro cable wraps so it will make things easy if I need to go in and work on it. I am pretty happy with how it turned out and hopefully I wont have any wiring troubles for a while. Now pics for your enjoyment......
Attached Images     
Old 09-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good! Now that I think of it, I don't think in my lifetime thus far I have had the pleasure of dealing with an actual good condition wiring harness. I guess I just started to assume ALL of them came brittle, cracked, and caked in grime from the factory; some sort of "organic", pre-fragmented (to relieve stress but of course!) thermal coating! j/k
Old 09-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks really nice. Mine has some sort of a weird custom cover. Looks like your KLR line has seen better days, then again mine doesn't look any better.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:13 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keithr726
That looks really nice. Mine has some sort of a weird custom cover. Looks like your KLR line has seen better days, then again mine doesn't look any better.
LOL, yeah that is going to be replaced also soon but after dumping as much as I have in parts that past few weeks I thought since it wasn't broken I could hold off on a $30 tube.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I know what you mean, the 951 bill pile keeps growing everyday. What started as a under the intake clean up has become a thousand dollar project.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:46 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

gee what a pack of old geeks, that loom looks nicer than fat rear tyres and tail pipes to me I'm keen to get stuck to mine good loom on the bench just trying to carfully strip it from the spare motor.
nice one
Old 09-02-2007, 03:40 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work! I’m doing pretty much the same thing to mine. I’m looking forward to having a harness that I’m not afraid to bend!

I noticed in your first picture that part of your harness wasn’t recovered. Looks like the line to the diag plug and electrical harness connector. Any particular reason for leaving the original cover on this? Also, why did you go with spiral under the thermal sleeving?

One other thought: if you’re in need of an O2 sensor anytime soon, you might consider ditching the old O2 connector and going with the connector for the Bosch universal O2 sensor. It is considerably cheaper than the Porsche-specific one and you can get a kit that contains both a new O2 sensor and the harness connector. That’s what I plan on doing.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks great!

Where did you buy the thermal sleeving??
Old 09-02-2007, 09:00 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

the more regular O2 plug is it like a 3 pin AFM plug?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:55 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dare
Great work! I’m doing pretty much the same thing to mine. I’m looking forward to having a harness that I’m not afraid to bend!

I noticed in your first picture that part of your harness wasn’t recovered. Looks like the line to the diag plug and electrical harness connector. Any particular reason for leaving the original cover on this? Also, why did you go with spiral under the thermal sleeving?

One other thought: if you’re in need of an O2 sensor anytime soon, you might consider ditching the old O2 connector and going with the connector for the Bosch universal O2 sensor. It is considerably cheaper than the Porsche-specific one and you can get a kit that contains both a new O2 sensor and the harness connector. That’s what I plan on doing.
I only used the spiral cord on areas where I had a low number of wires going through the thermal sleeving, such as the oil pressure wires. I wanted the wires to have a little more protection and thickness around them since the thermal sleeving felt pretty empty inside with just two little wires running inside.

I left the other part of the harness alone for two reasons. The first being that the thermal sleeving does not open wide enough to cover that many wires at once, and I didn't want to have numerous bundles of wires going to that plug. And the second reason was because that part of the harness was still in great shape and very flexible, so I figured I would leave that area alone for now.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:13 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Nice job Colin. I can imagine all the work that went into it. What size ranges did you end up having to buy in the fire sleeving? I haven't done the entire harness yet but am working on my injector, lighting, and KLR pieces.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
I only used the spiral cord on areas where I had a low number of wires going through the thermal sleeving, such as the oil pressure wires. I wanted the wires to have a little more protection and thickness around them since the thermal sleeving felt pretty empty inside with just two little wires running inside.
Sounds reasonable. What temp rating was the spiral you used?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:15 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

That thing gives me wood, Colin! <crap, two more words that should never be used in the same sentence, make that three>.

If there's enought interest, the local military surpluss house has tons of sleeving for cheap. I'll go over and see what they have currently and whats comming in.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Stiletto
Rennlist Member

Great project! I would love to find a used harness in good shape.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:04 AM
azmi951
Drifting

VERY nice! I imagine a lot of the weird electrical gremlins might be far and few between now.

Quick Reply: Pictures of My Fully Thermal Sleeved Engine Harness