Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

some good news and bad news after a transaxle fluid change.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:16 AM
nodestination1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default some good news and bad news after a transaxle fluid change.

first, the good news. Turns out my catback is made by dansk, and looks quite nice. It's so quiet, i thought it was stock.

now, the bad news. the diff was almost empty, because the car was sitting for so long and had a slow leak. When i filled it up, i immediately noticed a rather quick drip coming from the passenger side of the diff. It appears to be right where the CV axle meets the transaxle... like it's seeping out from the transaxle case around the axle shaft. I did a quick search, and im pretty sure there's a seal there? i looked it up on pelican, but wanted to make sure this was the right one.

part # 016-409-399-B-M5213

Also, more good news... there was a whole ton of metal shavings sitting at the bottom of the transaxle. Im sure the fuild hasn't been changed for 10 years... is this normal wear and tear, or a sign of the transaxle on it's way out?
...And how bad is it to run it low on fluid?

Sorry for all the questions. Im still new to this porsche thing. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Metal shavings can be normal; it just depends on how many there are...Every time you grind gears due to a bad shift, that's shaving a little bit of metal off.

So yeah -- how much is there?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:53 AM
nodestination1
Instructor

hmm, its really hard to describe the amount... I'd say there was probably about .024 pounds worth.

ok seriously...there was enough so that when i ran my finger along the bottom of the case, i could make a very small pile. As far as how long the trans will last, im just going to drive the car until the tranny starts yelling at me and wont shift. Right now I'm more worried about the seal and the lack of fluid.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:05 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Metal pieces are not good. I recently did my fluid and had no metal at all and I have no records of the fluid being changed (at least in the last 8 years). Notice any difference in shift feel? What fluid did you choose?

As for the dansk exhaust, I'm a fan. My friend has one and its nice. I spend twice as much on the B&B system which other than being louder is very similar to dansk.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:12 PM
nodestination1
Instructor

has anyone changed the axle seal before? any tips or info?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Inniswhe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you make out

Just wondering if you got the axle seals fixed. I am looking at a similar repair on a car I just had PPI'd and may do the work myself. Was it difficult ?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Loquat15
Racer

Originally Posted by nodestination1
has anyone changed the axle seal before? any tips or info?
DO NOT USE AN ALLEN WRENCH TO TAKE OFF THE CV SHAFTS

It will destroy your bolts

The tool you need is a triple square, its sorta like an allen key but has 12 points instead of 8 or whatever they have...

i beleive its size 6 or maybe 8.

it should be fairly easy to do, unless porsche designed it all crazy...

you shouldnt use a screw driver to get the old seal out by trying to jam it between the seal and the outer part of the seal where its touching the transaxle housing... there are tools that look like picks that you'd use to get it out.

im not sure but i'm guessing that there's a nut on the output shaft which holds the flange on, if you had an impact wrench you'd get it out no problem, it might be on there pretty good though...

Good luck!
Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Loquat15
Racer

Dont worry about the metal, you'd need to worry about if you plan on hotrodding it everywhere and abusing her but hell, you still wouldnt have to worry about it unless your transaxle decided to die... but if its just simple wear, it'll get noisier and noisier as time goes on... if its tough to change into another gear, it might be that your syncros are not working so well...

good luck with your car!

Quick Reply: some good news and bad news after a transaxle fluid change.