Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Possibly looking for a MAF

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Naplesguy06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAN I BUY A CHIPSET FOR THE BORG WARNER K27/8 AND THE AUTOAUTHORITY MAF?? Other than this I am only changing the exaust to 3 inch. I do not want to push more gas or go to larger injectors unless I have to gas is too expensive I like getting 30 mpg at 55 mph.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Naplesguy06
CAN I BUY A CHIPSET FOR THE BORG WARNER K27/8 AND THE AUTOAUTHORITY MAF?? Other than this I am only changing the exaust to 3 inch. I do not want to push more gas or go to larger injectors unless I have to gas is too expensive I like getting 30 mpg at 55 mph.
That's a good idea with the gas because you can use the money you save on gas to replace headgaskets. The stock injectors can't support the 27/8 @ 15psi in the heat for very long. If you want to make more power you need to use more fuel. If you don't want more power then why upgrade the turbo? A properly tuned chip and larger injectors won't use more gas at part throttle cruising.

BTW, Borg Warner doesn't make the 27/8. KKK did.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:34 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueman33
Correct me if i am wrong.

As I understand it the Vitesse MAF and SciVision MAF work two different ways.

The Vitesse MAF has a new chip set up and the Sci Vision uses the existing chip set up.

Therefore that may be one reason that Vitesse MAF is more expensive since it works differentely and has a new set of chips.

ALSO, IF ANYONE HAS ANY INPUT............is a MAF night and day from an AFM? Or is it just a marginal improvement?

26/6
3 bar FPR
LBE
stock injectors, stock WG (that somehow holds boost well)

I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a MAF just to find out that the same money into a new turbo or 27/6 upgrade would have made a better choice.

The problem with the 27/6 is that the chips alone cost $795, so adding that to a $700 upgrade is more than either MAF.
Blueman, I'll go over a few items that will clarify what makes the Vitesse MAF kit unique and how it differs from other systems on the market. This should help you compare systems based on features and performance vs. just $.

I will go over the features and capabilities of the Vitesse MAF Kit. This should give you enough technical information to ask the correct questions when shopping and comparing MAF kits. Take a look at this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/373245-vitesse-stealth-maf-sale.html

Last edited by fast951; 08-24-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:45 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

When I bought my 89 it had a K27/8 with Autothority MAF and APE chips for the K27/8, stock injectors, FPR and 18psi from APE. So...I would think you can get that combination somewhere.

That setup ran great and was wicked fast, but would go a little lean on partial throttle acceleration if you let it rev up. WOT AFR was fine and no problems in hot weather. It did have an o-ringed stage 2 head.

I would like to sell the MAF and chips together. But honesly my car ran better with LR AFM chips and MAFterburner than with the APE chips because the AFM chips had temperature compensation and the APE chips did not. It also got rid of that lean partial throttle acceleration. I upgraded the injectors to 48#. It wasn't because it wasn't getting enough fuel at WOT, it was to get the maximum voltage range from the MAF using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and tuning for the maximum output voltage from the MAF to the chips with the MAFterburner. The trick to tuning a AFM chips to a MAF.

The K27/8 would make up to 21 psi of boost at 4000 rpm but quickly fall off to 17psi from 5000rpm to red line. Even at 21 psi it wouldn't make over 340 rwhp. Mike Lindsey noticed valve train noise, we later found the timing belt was off one tooth and 3 flat lifters. I was very surprised because the car was really fast! Soon after I swapped turbos to a Super61. I've kept the Super61 on my 2.8 liter stroker and feel the K27/8 was a better sized turbo for the 2.5 liter. Especially for running pump gas and boost in the 16 to 17 psi range.

Last edited by RKD in OKC; 08-24-2007 at 02:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Possibly looking for a MAF