944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Possibly looking for a MAF

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007 | 12:31 AM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

so can i just buy a mafterburner and have russel reburn the chip i have from him that i got from someone else, its close but no cigar
Old 08-23-2007 | 12:37 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
Dan, I don't believe posting a private email is cool. I emailed you privatly as it was between you and I. Good luck with your purchase!
Whether Dan's posting your e-mail was kosher or not (this is John D's forum and that's for him to decide), why were you e-mailing him about a simple consumer based price comparison? He even complemented you on your product???

Rather than criticize someone for an honest yet personal review of your product's pricing why not respond in a positive way such as "we may be more costly than most other's but you'll find our products are worth the extra money after you purchase them!"

Dan is an astute consumer of Porsche products and I have known him for some time both on and off the list. We have talked in detail about your product and his desire to purchase your system yet he has not d/t pricing alone. Now if Dan was bashing your product on performance issue alone while having never purchased it, then I could understand your position.

Again, I don't see your point in e-mailing him simply based on his comments.

Regards,
Cory

Last edited by GOBOGIE; 08-23-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2007 | 12:47 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mortymower
so can i just buy a mafterburner and have russel reburn the chip i have from him that i got from someone else, its close but no cigar
Part of the deal I made with Lindsey Racing on upgrading my MAF with my engine rebuild was that when I sold my APE MAF and APE Chips, Lindsey Racing would reburn the chips for the APE MAF and whatever setup ie turbo/injectors/etc the new owner has free of charge.

The APE MAF is a 30C MAF.
Old 08-23-2007 | 12:54 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

There is of course also the Scivision MAF we now carry...

No piggyback required, 30 minute install (if you're slow like me). Truly plug and play, they just work...

Regards,
Russell
Old 08-23-2007 | 02:10 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mortymower
looking to see some prices on a used maf, lindsey, vitesse, or sfr
Unless you have lots of experience with tuning or are willing to spend lots of time learning (possibly the hard way at your car's expense) I wouldn't suggest a used one. If it's used, someone probably got rid of it for a reason.

I only have experience with the Vitesse MAF. Maybe not the cheapest, but you have to consider what your time is worth. Especially on a Sunday when you really want your car to run and you get a call from John to help.
Old 08-23-2007 | 07:31 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GOBOGIE
Whether Dan's posting your e-mail was kosher or not (this is John D's forum and that's for him to decide),
Again, I don't see your point in e-mailing him simply based on his comments.

Regards,
Cory
Cory,

I am starting to get fed up of this brown nosed "Its johnD's forum" business
Rennlist is a private members forum as John D keeps telling us, non members are free to post too JohnD simply administers it and takes a pretty good profit for the privilige (thats business). John D seems like a really good bloke from the emails we have exchanged. But he has said on many occassion that this is our forum with a few Caveats.
If you check the rennlist rules it states that you should not make public personal communications. I got flamed for it once and as I recall "Shaheed" was most correct to do so, although I did not see it that way at the time I was wrong to do it.
John from Vitesse supports his products outside of business hours and offers fanatical support that others chose not to. That is his choice I know but don't flame the guy for his sticker price when you don't know what you get for it.
OK i will come down off my soap box now!
Cheers
Tom
Old 08-23-2007 | 07:57 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tommo951
Cory,

Rennlist is a private members forum as John D keeps telling us, non members are free to post too JohnD simply administers it and takes a pretty good profit for the privilige (thats business). John D seems like a really good bloke from the emails we have exchanged. But he has said on many occassion that this is our forum with a few Caveats.
If you check the rennlist rules it states that you should not make public personal communications. I got flamed for it once and as I recall "Shaheed" was most correct to do so, although I did not see it that way at the time I was wrong to do it.
John from Vitesse supports his products outside of business hours and offers fanatical support that others chose not to. That is his choice I know but don't flame the guy for his sticker price when you don't know what you get for it.
Cheers
Tom
Did you even read our posts? Where did I or Cory "flame" John for his "sticker price"? Get real.. Point of the matter is it was totally uncalled for John to email me off the list because of my post. I have zero tolarance for being be-littled just because hes a "site sponsor".
Old 08-23-2007 | 08:32 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, I hope that's settled and we can get back to the topic?

Just so we're clear that you aren't being singled out here, Dan - posting private email and/or PM correspondence on the forums without prior consent is specifically prohibited by the Rennlist Charter.

See item 5:

https://rennlist.com/charter.htm

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2007 | 08:49 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just stopped by John's house last week and picked up his MAF kit and some bigger injectors. My car ran great with the autothority setup (actually surprisingly well), but I wanted bigger injectors and plan on more mods in the future. For some time, I considered going a cheaper route- I had to remind myself of what I have already been through with these cars. John's kit is the ONLY way to go if you want the ride to be 'headache free.'

Disagree with me if you like, but I have been there and done that- quite a few times over now.
Old 08-23-2007 | 10:56 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Randy V
OK, I hope that's settled and we can get back to the topic?

Just so we're clear that you aren't being singled out here, Dan - posting private email and/or PM correspondence on the forums without prior consent is specifically prohibited by the Rennlist Charter.

See item 5:

https://rennlist.com/charter.htm

Thanks.
And so it should be.
Old 08-23-2007 | 10:57 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommo951
Cory,

Cheers
Tom
Let me be the 1st to say I am thoroughly confused as to the meaning of or direction of your post... you lost me in the twisties
Old 08-23-2007 | 11:27 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Correct me if i am wrong.

As I understand it the Vitesse MAF and SciVision MAF work two different ways.

The Vitesse MAF has a new chip set up and the Sci Vision uses the existing chip set up.

Therefore that may be one reason that Vitesse MAF is more expensive since it works differentely and has a new set of chips.

ALSO, IF ANYONE HAS ANY INPUT............is a MAF night and day from an AFM? Or is it just a marginal improvement?

26/6
3 bar FPR
LBE
stock injectors, stock WG (that somehow holds boost well)

I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a MAF just to find out that the same money into a new turbo or 27/6 upgrade would have made a better choice.

The problem with the 27/6 is that the chips alone cost $795, so adding that to a $700 upgrade is more than either MAF.
Old 08-23-2007 | 11:38 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by Blueman33
Correct me if i am wrong.

As I understand it the Vitesse MAF and SciVision MAF work two different ways.

The Vitesse MAF has a new chip set up and the Sci Vision uses the existing chip set up.

Therefore that may be one reason that Vitesse MAF is more expensive since it works differentely and has a new set of chips.

ALSO, IF ANYONE HAS ANY INPUT............is a MAF night and day from an AFM? Or is it just a marginal improvement?

26/6
3 bar FPR
LBE
stock injectors, stock WG (that somehow holds boost well)

I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a MAF just to find out that the same money into a new turbo or 27/6 upgrade would have made a better choice.

The problem with the 27/6 is that the chips alone cost $795, so adding that to a $700 upgrade is more than either MAF.
You are correct. The Scivision comes with an inline controller which translates the MAF signal. MAF chips do the translation in the chip. Most of these setups still use a piggyback for fine tuning. I don't know about the costs of other vendor's MAF systems, but we sell the Scivision for 799, with a set of chips optimized for your configuration 999.

As for a difference with a MAF, you kind of have yourself in a catch 22. On a mostly stock 'chipped' vehicle you won't really gain huge HP. You will have enhanced drivability and overally criper response. So logic would say go spend your money on a bigger turbo. The main reason people use a MAF is when they have a turbo/exhaust system which will outflow the AFM. So you spend your money on exhaust and a big turbo, now you need a MAF. These cars just eat you...

It all depends on your HP goal. If you went to a moderately larger turbo, 55# injectors, chips, 3.0bar FPR, 3" exhaust you're fine with the AFM up to about 300HP. If you want to do more, then you can add the Scivision later.

When we do a set of chips, and you change configuration and need a new set, you are charged a re-tune fee, not the full price of the chip. Our chips retail at 299, when purchased with the Scivision you get a set optimized for the Scivision (as part of your new configuration) they are only 200.00. A re-tune at any time is only 150.00.

We make the upgrade path a little less painless, without sacrificing quality or support.

Regards,
Russell
Old 08-24-2007 | 12:22 AM
Naplesguy06
Racer

I have an autoauthority MAF and guru chips, problem is the chipset is for the k26/6 and I am upgrading to the k27/8, can these guru racing chips be re burned?
Old 08-24-2007 | 12:23 AM
Naplesguy06
Racer

You guys are all more confusing than Algebra. Does anyone have the right answer???

Quick Reply: Possibly looking for a MAF