Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tranny cooler line delete?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tranny cooler line delete?

The tranny cooler line is too close for comfort to the right coilover and is leaking a bit. This is a LSD tranny on a dedicated track car running on Red Line synthetic gear oil that is replaced once a year. I'm thinking of removing the tranny cooler line all together and plugging the holes. I know the purist would want to preserve it but I'm not convinced that it does anything. Any opinions? TIA
Old 08-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why delete it? cant it be bent a little for extra clearence? You can also mount a real trans oil cooler with custom lines and put it where it doesnt interfere.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Cory by using an aftermarket one. Besides, if you plug it, the pump and gears that drive it would probably become damaged possibly hurting your transmission. I know the drive gear is only available from the factory and is several hundred dollars to replace from what I have been told.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

cant it be bent a little for extra clearance?
It is as bent as it is ever going to be and I still see evidence of rubbing under hard cornering. By the way, the tranny mount is solid and all rear suspension bushings either solid or spherical.

if you plug it, the pump and gears that drive it would probably become damaged possibly hurting your transmission
The plan was to take the gears our so that it doesn't build up pressure.

I know the drive gear is only available from the factory and is several hundred dollars to replace from what I have been told
Is there any evidence that it actually does anything meaningful? Lowering the temperature of the gear oil by a couple of degrees I'm not sure if it’s worth the hassle.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:12 AM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems like that tranny cooler would do alot especially on a track car.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:05 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a parts-transmission if you need any pieces.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:35 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio
The tranny cooler line is too close for comfort to the right coilover and is leaking a bit. This is a LSD tranny on a dedicated track car running on Red Line synthetic gear oil that is replaced once a year. I'm thinking of removing the tranny cooler line all together and plugging the holes. I know the purist would want to preserve it but I'm not convinced that it does anything. Any opinions? TIA

I sold a tranny with a cooler delete to well known racer with a ls1 v8 on the car, almost 2 years ago, he tracks the car regurlarly and so far no problems reported.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:23 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 968 transaxles did not come with a cooler, just a finned lower cover. John Hajny (RedlineMan) did a nice Setrab cooler to replace the stock loop if you search the racing/de forum.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

The 968 transaxles did not come with a cooler, just a finned lower cover. John Hajny (RedlineMan) did a nice Setrab cooler to replace the stock loop if you search the racing/de forum.
Hmm. Interesting idea that is probably much more effective than the stock cooler line. I would be concerned about flying debris underneath the car though. I'm still trying to understand how much difference the stock cooler line make in lowering gear oil temps. I can't image that it’s more that a few degrees.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:29 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I'm putting my skiddy dif in at the moment and cant get the cooler drive gear mounted and thinking of loosing the cooler as well it does coll it down it is said cool day on the feeway cruse the box is to cold i was wondering if it has a sprybar inside on to the geat chain as i would not want to loose that any one ??? i figured i would just get a temp guage and it it went above 120 C I'd set up and electric pump and nice little flat panal cooler .
Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We used to run a diff cooler/pump set up on our Grand Am Cup car that was mounted in the trunk. Worked great, never shelled a diff, too bad we can't say the same for the tranny. Plus, those AN fittings and steel braided lines look so bad-***.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:22 AM
sawood12
Racer

Has anyone actually measured the oil temps in a non-cooled 951 tranny? as has already been mentioned the 968 and 944S2's didn't have tranny coolers and these things are tracked regularly with no issues with tranny temp that i've heard of. I'm not convinced they are entirely necessary and they add about 15kg/30lb's of weight.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:07 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

the power of a tuned turbo car is much more than a na, power = heat, heat = bad.

considering it's normal to have tranny cooling on regular diffed cars, imagine all the heat in a transaxle!

I made a thread about temps and it got 0 response, but I will do tests of my own once the damn thing hits the tracks/road.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as has already been mentioned the 968 and 944S2's didn't have tranny coolers and these things are tracked regularly with no issues with tranny temp
In some market areas S2 models did have a cooler. For example in Switzerland S2 was available with LSD & cooler.

Quick Reply: Tranny cooler line delete?