Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Any US users of the SciVision MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007 | 05:29 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Default Any US users of the SciVision MAF?

I'm thinking of going with an MAF and wonder how people feel about the SciVision. The price seems decent enough. Are there many people here in the US/Canada using this MAF yet? I know the Euro owners seem very pleased from research I've done. If you are using one what are your impressions of overall driveability?

1. What chipset, tuning software, piggyback are you using.

2. If your car has been dynoed w/ the SciVision do you feel it's capable of supporting 350 whp?

3. Is it stealth enough to install on a stock airbox without drawing smog check attention?

Any input pro or con is welcome.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2007 | 06:17 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Talk to Russell at http://maxhpkit.com/. He is the new distributor in the States and can match the maf with some great chips.
Old 08-16-2007 | 07:09 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Efren (cas951) and Ben (oi-punx) both have the Scivision MAF and have great results with them. I think Roger (Andial951) is also running the Scivision.

I know Ben recently smogged his car and passed both tailpipe and visual inspection in CA.
Old 08-16-2007 | 07:27 PM
blitz951
Pro

I have the Scivision maf with Russells chips. It looks factory stock so you should not have any problems with smog and as far as 350 hp being supported I dont know why this maf should not be able to support just as much as the other maf's sold as long as your turbo inlet diameter is smaller than the maf that should not be the limiting factor.
This is an excellent system with zero problems.
Old 08-16-2007 | 07:42 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear the good results, especially the smog and stealth aspects. I knew Russell was the US SciVision source but wanted to get impressions from actual users. That makes at least 3 sources now for MAF's to choose from. I suppose the key is in the supplied chip(s) in any MAF package.
Old 08-16-2007 | 07:47 PM
AL951
Racer

Mine is putting out about 310 Bhp at the moment with this Scivision MAF sensor. I really like it. I also have one of Russell's chips. I have an open element filter and I didn't have any problem passing smog. Overall it is a great product.

Regards,
AL
Old 08-16-2007 | 08:19 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Steve,
I was probably one of the first to buy one of these when Promax was promoting the product in 2004. The kit is not only stealthy it's also made by Bosch. So if the smog cop even notices this they really can't say much about it.
Here's a link to the topics when we first installed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/254838-scivision-maf-kit-installation-and-initial-impressions.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/267676-promax-motorsports-scivision-maf-kit-installation-and-impressions-part-2-a.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/351112-ca-smog-results-with-promax-scivision-stealth-maf.html

I've had mine since Feb 2004 and have had no issues so far.It's been a true plug and play. I've never adjusted anything.
Old 08-16-2007 | 09:09 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

I think andial951 has one. I plan on getting one over the next year but I would like to hear more feedback.
Old 08-16-2007 | 09:14 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had the SciVision MAF with the promax chips for over a year. It really transforms the personnality of the engine in the low end.

Here's my thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/269602-thank-you-promax-motorsport-now-with-first-impression-on-the-maf-chips.html

P.S. Kuhl, I'm in Canada. Do you mind if I still answer? You did ask for US users!

Last edited by 951Porschiste; 08-16-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2007 | 10:05 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Hey Steve,

Yes I have been using the Scivision MAF for some time now. As you know I'm just finishing up installing a new Super 61 so soon we will know the RWHP limit of this MAF although I think in another thread Transaxle mentioned its only good for 350.........which is probably OK for normal driving but then I'm looking to surprise a few ZO6s and whatever else.
Old 08-17-2007 | 12:40 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cas951
Steve,
I was probably one of the first to buy one of these when Promax was promoting the product in 2004. The kit is not only stealthy it's also made by Bosch. So if the smog cop even notices this they really can't say much about it.
Here's a link to the topics when we first installed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254838
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267676
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351112

I've had mine since Feb 2004 and have had no issues so far.It's been a true plug and play. I've never adjusted anything.

Thanks a lot for those links. I must have missed that thread. It took me some time (about and hour actually) to read them closely. That thread got 'testy' to say the least and I'm glad this one is holding up so far. Not to beat a dead horse but all three prominent vendors here have a great product with many satisfied customers.

Now, have any of you guys used the SciVision with the Maxtronics and Maxtune package yet? If so how does it compare with a typical piggyback like SMT-6 for versatility and ease of use? I do like the Maxtronics feature of several pre-tuned maps for different purposes. I could easily have a smog time, race gas, no start, plus a daily driver map at the flick of a switch. That's pretty appealing for me since mine is more of a fun run, hit the mountains car that gets driven hard.

Again thanks for all the input, you gotta love RL to get info from a users perspective.
Old 08-17-2007 | 11:37 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Thanks a lot for those links. I must have missed that thread. It took me some time (about and hour actually) to read them closely. That thread got 'testy' to say the least and I'm glad this one is holding up so far. Not to beat a dead horse but all three prominent vendors here have a great product with many satisfied customers.

Now, have any of you guys used the SciVision with the Maxtronics and Maxtune package yet? If so how does it compare with a typical piggyback like SMT-6 for versatility and ease of use? I do like the Maxtronics feature of several pre-tuned maps for different purposes. I could easily have a smog time, race gas, no start, plus a daily driver map at the flick of a switch. That's pretty appealing for me since mine is more of a fun run, hit the mountains car that gets driven hard.

Again thanks for all the input, you gotta love RL to get info from a users perspective.
Steve, I've been wondering the same here. I have the Russell's chips which works great but I've been waiting for more feedback on the maxtune. I too want one but have been hesitant. I've downloaded Russell's demo but never really played with it yet.
Old 08-17-2007 | 12:43 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

For all you norcal people interested in maxtune, I should have mine running in my car by the end of next week, so I can show it off to people on norcal runs or whatever.

I was seriously considering going the scivision route for a while, but the fact that it'd be another $400 over my lindsey stage1 maf, combined with the fact I had already hacked up my engine bay wiring for the lindsey unit, made me decide against it. I am going to do a stealth install as well to keep the airbox. Or at least attempt to, since the lindsey maf is 3.5" and the rest of the intake is 3".
Old 08-17-2007 | 12:58 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

I'm running the Scivision MAF with Russell's chips and a Split second PSC-003 piggyback. I bought and installed the piggyback to fine tune an older setup, but have since zeroed it out after installing the Scivision MAF and MAX chips. Maxtune seems like an excellent product, and I may go with it someday, but the car runs too well for me to go messing with it now. I've got the MAF plumbed into the DS fender so I am not pulling in hot air. There is a pic of it floating around somewhere here.
Old 08-17-2007 | 01:34 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know we've talked Steve, but for the sake of the others..

I've been using the Maxtronic/Maxtune combo for the past few months and must say that is it simply an awesome interface. I've got a lot of modified engine parts and this combo has allowed me to custom taylor my fuel and timing maps to match the overall flow characteristics of the engine. After datalogging, or even on the fly, the Maxtune software is very easy to navigate through. Once you start to recognize where ajustments are needed and begin to feel how changes to timing or fueling are making your car run, you get a sense of how valuable and useful a product like this really is.

Thumbs up to Russell for making such a great product. I imagine that the SciVision MAF upgrade will only enhance the usefulness of this great tuning tool.

Quick Reply: Any US users of the SciVision MAF?