Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Running Rich/Black Smoke/Power Loss Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:18 PM
turbopilot
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Rich/Black Smoke/Power Loss Fixed!

86 951 Running Rich/Black Smoke/Power Loss Fixed!

Hey all,
I wanted to share a fix for what so many of us encounter with our 944/951.

I was experiencing a real rich running situation that would come on under WOT, accompanied by black smoke, power loss, etc...super frustrating! With info on this board and Rennlist I began to hunt it down. New plugs, rotor, checked TPS, AFM, vacuum lines, and NOTHING was fixing the problem.

I finally took the car to a local garage, and they went further into the investigation including DME, KLR, Turbo hoses, more...long story short it ended up being the Fuel Pressure Regulator...which by the way tested fine at idle and under medium throttle, but is near impossible to check at full boost. From what I understand the internals of the FPR deteriorate over time, and are excelled by ethanol in gas that eats rubber. So the FPR would work at normal driving, but gobs of gas were being dumped on WOT. The car is now running incredible not a puff of smoke and FULL POWER, runs as new with all of the checking and rechecking of all other parts. It has also greatly improved the vehicle starting and gas mileage. Just wanted to share! Check your FPR!

Kudos to autoeurope in Bham Michigan, great to work with and really worked with me on this fix.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of gas mileage were you getting? My car runs so rich and has the same symptoms and im getting terrible gas mileage. How bad were you getting?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 AM
turbopilot
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rock,
You know I never actually documented the mileage, just seemed to eat gas at an alarming rate. Since the fix I am halfway through a tank and can tell already it has improved. Do you lose power at the same time you are smoking? it was basically flooding the engine, the power loss was really bad, but only noticeable at higher RPMS.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:42 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this the "stock" FPR??? I have the same problem right now, using an adjustable unit I purchased from Lindsey. Had to cut my fuel pressure down to 28lbs and it still maxes out the wide band from 4K to 5500 rpm. Maybe I will try a 3 bar unit and see what happens.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it used to hesitate at higher RPMS, it does feel like its loosing power though. I think im gonna grab a 3.0 bar and see what happens. I know its not the 02 sensor, I was messing around with that and when I unplugged it, it went from smelling rich to super rich.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:14 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbopilot
86 951 Running Rich/Black Smoke/Power Loss Fixed!

Hey all,
I wanted to share a fix for what so many of us encounter with our 944/951.

I was experiencing a real rich running situation that would come on under WOT, accompanied by black smoke, power loss, etc...super frustrating! With info on this board and Rennlist I began to hunt it down. New plugs, rotor, checked TPS, AFM, vacuum lines, and NOTHING was fixing the problem.

I finally took the car to a local garage, and they went further into the investigation including DME, KLR, Turbo hoses, more...long story short it ended up being the Fuel Pressure Regulator...which by the way tested fine at idle and under medium throttle, but is near impossible to check at full boost. From what I understand the internals of the FPR deteriorate over time, and are excelled by ethanol in gas that eats rubber. So the FPR would work at normal driving, but gobs of gas were being dumped on WOT. The car is now running incredible not a puff of smoke and FULL POWER, runs as new with all of the checking and rechecking of all other parts. It has also greatly improved the vehicle starting and gas mileage. Just wanted to share! Check your FPR!

Kudos to autoeurope in Bham Michigan, great to work with and really worked with me on this fix.
Thanks for the advice, I've been having the same problems since the beginning of spring. I've just ordered the FPR this morning and will install it tonight.
I will write back to let people know.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Do you have a Wide Band 02 meter? I was having the same issues. I still need to change my idle control valve but once I put the SMT-6 on and a new TPS I was able to tune it all out.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

PROBLEM FIXED.
IT WAS THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR. 150$. INSTALLED IT MYSELF (I'M NO MECHANIC BUT THANKS TO CLARKS GARAGE).
And yes I'm screaming of happiness.
The problem used to happen when the engine was hot.
I just installed the FPR and went for a ride right after.
4 min. after departure, I had a backfire switching in 2nd gear (bigger than before).
But then, my car was just running like a new baby. Went on the highway, went up to 200km/h,
then got back home doing all does stop, going at 30km/h (it was always on that street where I had does backfires, going really slow) and nothing, just a clean, smooth 951 engine noise.
I also noticed a bit of a difference on performance, but maybe that was just all in my head, I felt like I was driving a new car.
Thanks Turbopilot
Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ericquenneville
PROBLEM FIXED.
IT WAS THE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR. 150$. INSTALLED IT MYSELF (I'M NO MECHANIC BUT THANKS TO CLARKS GARAGE).
And yes I'm screaming of happiness.
The problem used to happen when the engine was hot.
I just installed the FPR and went for a ride right after.
4 min. after departure, I had a backfire switching in 2nd gear (bigger than before).
But then, my car was just running like a new baby. Went on the highway, went up to 200km/h,
then got back home doing all does stop, going at 30km/h (it was always on that street where I had does backfires, going really slow) and nothing, just a clean, smooth 951 engine noise.
I also noticed a bit of a difference on performance, but maybe that was just all in my head, I felt like I was driving a new car.
Thanks Turbopilot
DAY 2: PROBLEM ''NOT'' FIXED
I was so happy last night that I couldn't sleep. So I sneaked out of bed (my wife was sleeping) and went for another midnight drive. The car had a huge backfire when pressing on the clutch to switch on 4th gear (about 6000rpm), and when I came back, going really slowly, I still could hear small puf puf sound pressing on the clutch to switch in 2nd gear.
The good news, it seems like the fuel/exaust smell as disappear, or almost. And the car seems to have a bit more performance.

Did more research and found this on http://www.clarks-garage.com/

''Fuel System leakdown failures can be caused by a leaking fuel injector(s), a bad fuel pressure regulator (FPR), or a leaking fuel pump check valve. When this happens, the fuel rail voids and the car is difficult to start when it's been sitting for a while. When the engine is turned over, if the fuel rail is voided, it takes the fuel pump a while to refill and clear the voids from the rail so that the car will get enough fuel to start.

Normally, if fuel rail voiding is caused by a leaking injector, you'll see lots of black smoke on subsequent startups. The following guide is intended to help you isolate fuel system leakdown problems.''
Old 08-03-2010, 02:58 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Did you ever get this figured out?
Old 09-03-2020, 12:24 PM
puddy
Instructor

I'm curious too about my FPR. My new to me, 1986 951 recently has noticable black smoke when started and going down the road. We haven't been driving it much but it seems to be starting to run richer and richer. It has a tune, header and other mods the previousd owner wasn't sure of so i'm still trying to figure out exactly what I have in this car.

Chris
Old 09-04-2020, 12:20 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by puddy
I'm curious too about my FPR. My new to me, 1986 951 recently has noticable black smoke when started and going down the road. We haven't been driving it much but it seems to be starting to run richer and richer. It has a tune, header and other mods the previousd owner wasn't sure of so i'm still trying to figure out exactly what I have in this car.

Chris
The best way to diagnose this issue is to check if you can safely run a long fuel hose under the cowl/trailing edge of the hood and connect to the fuel rail port (remove the wiper fuse and tape the gauge to the windshield). Go for a drive and do a lot of on/off throttle. The extreme rich failure mode of the Bosch FPRs of this area is to stick closed and cause fuel pressure to go very high (almost 100 PSI), which means the fuel injectors are unable to open against this pressure and the engine stalls. If this is the case, the engine will usually restart right away.

Short of that, if the fuel pressure is not much above the rating of the fuel pressure regulator, then you rich condition lies elsewhere, either with the tune or a faulty sensor/wiring . . . .
Old 09-04-2020, 10:46 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

One way is to check your oil, when the FPR goes it dumps fuel and will land in your oil. It will smell strong like fuel and be thinned out. You can also check your vacuum line to the FPR if it is wet with a fuel smell (to me it smells like fuel even when not wet so wet is the key) then there is a leak in it.

Quick Reply: Running Rich/Black Smoke/Power Loss Fixed!