Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3.0L progress.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
Default 3.0L progress.

Just thought you may be interested as I have just got my car back last week and it feels superb even in it's current mild guise. By that I mean it has the stock head/cam setup which we are going to dyno it with and then put on the Dave McGrath racehead and cam and dyno it again. Should prove interesting. Anyway I went to the track yesterday for a casual drive day and there were some nice cars there. Aston DB9 which was surprisingly quick through the curves, a couple of 996's and a new 997 turbo, an f355, a few BM's, a very quick black Lotus Elise and some local muscle. Well I pretty much comfortably drove away from them all (except the Lotus) and I didn't reach over 1 bar so there is plenty of torque with the combination of the Vitesse stage 5 turbo, S2 crown ring and pinion, and 80% lsd. Amazing low to mid range grunt and I'm sure there's plenty more up top as well once we run it in some more. I surprised myself by doing a 1.46 with the suspension not working quite right and not really pushing it too much either. The quickest guys in our club who are in GT3's were doing 1.45's last year so it looks like we may have another 944 creating some havoc with the big boys and their 'Real Porsches' (or so they refer to them ). Can't wait to sort it out some more and really give these guys something to think about.
I have to say that once you have tried the extra capacity and the associated tq levels that this is really a very good upgrade if you want something extra from your cars and again, there is no reason to fear a big turbo so long as it's matched to the engine. The Stage 5 works a treat.
Thanks to Sean/JET951 for putting it together so fast once we had all the components.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:35 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Patrick. Glad to hear you got it running! I'm sure it feels great to be back in action.. enjoy.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well my pocket book is starting to feel the result after buying the new 3.0L block, a crank; waiting on one phone call before pulling the trigger on Mahle pistons or Tom C.

Good luck Patrick.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:57 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Brett, you'll love the extra capacity. It just transforms the car in my opinion. What size are you doing?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought Mikes NEW 3.0L block left over from Clark Fletchers 6 or 8 blocks he had a couple of years ago. Pistons - well Tom can get me 104 turbo Arias pistons with his coating(we had this in the track car); LR and Andial both have 104.5 Mahle turbo pistons, I sort of hate to do 104.5 on a new block but, I'll guess I'll make that decision Monday.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:34 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski
I bought Mikes NEW 3.0L block left over from Clark Fletchers 6 or 8 blocks he had a couple of years ago. Pistons - well Tom can get me 104 turbo Arias pistons with his coating(we had this in the track car); LR and Andial both have 104.5 Mahle turbo pistons, I sort of hate to do 104.5 on a new block but, I'll guess I'll make that decision Monday.
Yes that's a bit of a choice you got there. So long as you are sure that the Arias' are 100% compatible with the Alusil, and it seems you've had success before, then they should be fine. On the other hand if you go 104.5's and sustain some damage, you can always sleeve the block with MID's or dry's. We have found that the standard Porsche type rings work best for us too.
Good luck with the build. What's the eta? Will you get bumped a class or two with the 3.0L capacity?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:43 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
J. Anyway I went to the track yesterday for a casual drive day .

Huh, a casual drive DAY @ the track ! Pardon me , did you happen to have any grey pupon?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well the 3.0L is for my street car. Our track car is 2.5L, @ 17psi with the new build, we expect 360/355, we just DE it.

I want to build a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing. ETA, not in a hurry on this, probably during the next year. I have placed two calls to locate the piston squirters but no luck yet, Kelly Moss should call me back on Monday. I'll probably go with Woosner rods and ????? pistons. Crank will be perp drilled, stay stock weight and use a windage tray with crank scrapper. I had to use my modded pan and pick up for the track car after the rod failure but I'll do another one, lightweight gears and pulleys. That's about as far as I've gotten.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:12 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Patrick,
Glad to see you finally get back to the track and enjoying yourself. Pretty respectable time too - especially after the absence!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:33 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

A.Wayne. I'm sure it's a play on words but I don't get it, sorry. It was an untimed drive day although I brought my own timer. Must get one of those G-tech thingys they sound much better and easier than the system I've got.

Brett, Ah ok, I didn't realize it was for the road car. It is nice to have a bit of a Wolf in sheep's clothing. I went for a bit of a drive today out to the country which is popular with a lot of guys on some pretty serious bikes. I had a good run with a couple of guys on big Jap bikes and I bet they got a bit of a shock with how well my car went. I wouldn't worry about lightening the crank a little too on the road car. Nothing crazy, but you don't sacrifice the tq with the extra c.c's and it spins just that little bit easier. I would seriously consider changing out your stock ring and pinion to the shorter S2 one. Unless you want to go on lots of long very high speed trips, it transforms the car and really makes it so much more tractable. I still had rev's left down the main straight at Eastern Creek which is a kilometer long. I guarantee you won't regret it.

Scott, thanks mate. I'll catch up with you and we can go for a spin. You'll love it. I'm going to the UK on Friday so happy to catch up next week at night if you like. I'm going to the club meeting on Tuesday night if you're around. I haven't been for ages and just want to show them that I'm still around and they must learn to fear the 951 rising from the ashes like the Phoenix. lol
Old 08-12-2007, 01:58 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Ski] I have placed two calls to locate the piston squirters but no luck yet, Kelly Moss should call me back on Monday. [QUOTE]

Ski,

Just use 993 squirters. They work fine.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:13 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

it just doesnt seem right Patrick... both of our cars on the road at the same time! all we need now is Rods car up and running.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:26 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

It is surreal actually to have our cars back. Can't wait to terrorize the 'Pro's' at the next race day. They'll probably kick us out or put us in the Associate class at the very least, which is what they think of us anyway! Hahaha
Old 08-12-2007, 07:28 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=evil 944t]

Ski,

Just use 993 squirters. They work fine.
David, any year better than the other?

Thanks for the advice Patrick. I'm going to have the LSD gone through so I'll see if I can find that during the time span.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:04 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Ski]
Originally Posted by evil 944t
David, any year better than the other?
Not really. Make sure when you measure your crank bearings that you get a tightly grouped set. The bearings I have seen have been on the big end of usable and that coupled with oil squirters, does NOT help keep your oil pressure up after some hot laps at the track. I have had 2 or 3 sets from both Porsche and after market to get a good set together.

ps - pm me regarding the pistons.

Quick Reply: 3.0L progress.