Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Autothority stage II chips???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 PM
thewitchdokta
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Autothority stage II chips???

Hey All. Hope everyone's P-Cars are running strong and well. I have a question i was hoping someone could help me with.

I have seen STAGE II chips from Autothority claiming to bump up the juice by some pretty nice numbers. I'm wondering has anyone tried them? Do they put more stress on the engine/ make it more prone to failiure in stock form? Please let me know your experiences. Right now I have an '87 951 with Autothjority stage I chips. They're ok. Also, I have a Lindsey Boost Enhancer and i'm not using the autothority banjo bolt. The car runs fine. People tell me that using the Autothority chips (expecially stage 2) without the bolt is not a good idea. Does it make a big difference? Should i run out and get one right now?

Thanks for your help guys (and girls)
Old 08-09-2007, 09:51 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are old chips. Call Russell at www.max951.com

I gave my last Autothority chips away.

George
Old 08-09-2007, 09:53 PM
George D
Drifting

If you are using the Auto chips at stage II you must use their banjo bolt or another of similar size. For $50 you can just to with manual boost control with a boost guage.

G
Old 08-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Blueman33
Pro

The answer is YES. The stage II chips will make a big difference.

But George is right, they are not the current best chip.

I have Vitesse chips, which after going through a few sets of guru chips, replaced my autothoriy chips.

My chips cost three times as much as they should. Don't make the same mistake.

get russels chips or vitesse chips.........sometimes when someone upgrades to a new turbo or system you can get the chips cheaper as an AFM chip will not work if someone goes MAF and a chip for stock turbo will not work if someone gets a new giant turbo.....so there are deals.

I have autothority chips and guru chips laying around somewhere. why bother with frustratoin?

The biggest bang for the buck for power is a new set of chips and a boost controller. The power per dollar ratio is huge on this first step.

you have the boost controller.........before going to buy a banjo bolt which does the same thing as the LBE, just get decent chips..........

The next best investment, maybe even the first best investment, is DE.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:10 PM
944CS
Drifting

Most people who use autothority chips use a manual boost controller. Thats why they get such a bad wrap, using an MBC instead of the banjo bolt and factory cycling vavle alters the boost curve the engine will produce. The chips are not mapped for this, which is why people get bad AFR plots.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:12 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

I have the APE II chips w/LBE and really like them. It's a great introductory modification, and I got some decent results. PM If you would like to see me dyno chart
Old 08-10-2007, 06:19 PM
2bridges
Drifting

when I ran autothority stageII ran very rich. Felt the difference from stock on the top, but much rougher low and mid. Sent them away - I would not install them if they were free
Old 08-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

They are a pretty good mod for an otherwise stock motor. I've ran them for years with no problems. Way overpriced in my opinion. If you haven't bought them yet, try to find used for less than $100.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran them without a MBC and it was very rich mid range and pretty lean upper range. They're safe if you keep your car in mid range. People have posted pics here of what these chips did to their engines.
SCORING
Old 08-10-2007, 09:35 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

I ran Autothority stage II chips for a while. They made a huge difference on my car. After a couple months though, weird things started happening (Bogs, stumbles, loss of power).
Old 08-10-2007, 09:58 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

stay away from ape chips, you have to be a dork to run them with HIGHBOOST.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:12 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by HIGHBOOST
I have the APE II chips w/LBE and really like them. It's a great introductory modification, and I got some decent results. PM If you would like to see me dyno chart
Did that Welt chip work out for smog?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Dom1
Intermediate

you should not use either a Banjo Bolt or the LBE with stage 1 chips or you may run lean. Stage 1 chips are not designed to run higher boost which is what the Banjo Bolt accomplishes.
Also You can't use the Banjo Bolt and the LBE at the same time when using stage 2 chips or you will overboost. The LBE works better than the Banjo Bolt because it completely restricts flow up to a set psi than it works like the Banjo bolt by creating some restriction thus increasing boost. As far as the chips been bad for your engine only an AF ratio for your engine will tell you. I used the stage 2 chips and the LBE and loved it.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:09 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Welcome to the dark side. AP chips were my first step down the slippery slope. I have seen charts showing rich A/F ratios mid range and lean A/F on top. I suggest starting with a turner and sticking with them. Its nice to have a guide through the valley of the shadow of death. I suggest not making the same mistakes that I made. Use Fast951.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Blueman33
Pro

witchdokta,

Fast951 = Vitesse

btw, i have Vitesse chips, they are good. i do not have any experience with russel's chips but have heard good things.

learn from the mistakes of others.

Quick Reply: Autothority stage II chips???