Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Smaller alternator issue completed(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 4" intake, and the Nissan alt wiring on top is a disadvantage, but it does clear my particular intake well. We only installed the Nissan alt because of clearance issues. We did lower the alternator, and must have installed and removed the alternator and bracket 20 times to get the desired results. If you are just installing the Nissan alt, and not modding the lower bracket, this is a fairly straight forward install. I attempted to state this in my post, but didn't do a very good job. I assumed that folks did this for clearance issues. I stand corrected.

Know, this alternator has material removed as does the bracket. I can't just put in another stock Nissan alt as a replacement without modding the mounting points again. Hopefully it will last for a while. I'll either purchase a bracket when this goes, or have this particular unit rebuilt. I don't "love" working on my cars. I love driving them.
Originally Posted by Fluidplay
Thanks, look forward to your PM.

As I mentioned, it seems simple enough just to fab a small, but stout bracket bolted to the lower mount with enough offset to clear a second bolt to secure the alt to. You would need to remove however an equal amount of material (thickness of the bracket...say .250) off the lower alt tab to maintain alignment. Again, in looking at this possibility using the upper mount as a point of reference, you would be swinging the alt upwards toward the turbo inlet pipe. This in effect offers diminishing returns of using a smaller alt. to begin with. I believe it would still clear a 3" pipe, but as someone has pointed out the location of the stud for power connection is right at the top of the alt. and could possibly rub the pipe connection. Maybe.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finished this install yesterday, took me 3 hours.. and a lot of that was spent double checking measurements and such.. belt is dead on straight (I had 2 Bosch alternators so I used the pulley off of one, and used the second as a comparative for spacing from the front of the pulley to the mounting lugs to ensure the pulley location ended up with reasonable tollerance of where it needed to be!

All in all I am happy with the results, and one thing I havent seen mentioned here is the new alternator is MUCH more efficient than the Bosch unit, hence it takes lower belt tension to prevent squeel, and will require less HP to turn... is moderately higher output, but the later Quest vans were available with a 250 A alternator... I will be using the higher output alternator on my 951 when it goes back together...

I guess I am one of the more refined home grind to fit opperators, but then I did stay at a holliday inn express once or twice!
If you have a machinist do this for you it could be finished VERY easily, and cleanly... but I'm happy with the results I got using a cut off wheel on my angle grinder and dremmel!

I would rank this between replacing a trans mount and doing a brake job in difficulty!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice John.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:42 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by minho78
Very nice John.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:10 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Very nice job. Thinking about doing that now I have looked at your work. Have 2 stock alternators to steal pulleys from

Jason
Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Very nice job. Thinking about doing that now I have looked at your work. Have 2 stock alternators to steal pulleys from

Jason
Take the pulley from 1, mount it on the new alternator, use the second to map out the cuts to the new alternator... makes it quick and painless.. just have to cut a keyway into the shaft of the new alternator, a dremmel with a cutoff wheel makes short work of it!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:52 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too, have started this upgrade on my CA car. Just wanted to let everyone know that I sourced a great deal on the alternator.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

This is a brand new 125A output @1,200 RPM unit. He will also put on the six groove pulley for you. I ordered it on Monday, received in on Thursday. No tax and cheap shipping. Less than $130 total! I will try to post some pictures.

Note: I was able to retain the factory belt with my install using this alternator. I will post pictures soon.
Attached Images    

Last edited by URG8RB8; 05-31-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-26-2011, 04:35 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Bump it up as it has come into discussion again, I have done more of these conversions since my own, and have 15,000 miles on mine (yes since February)..

Still going great!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
I too, have started this upgrade on my CA car. Just wanted to let everyone know that I sourced a great deal on the alternator.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

This is a brand new 125A output @1,200 RPM unit. He will also put on the six groove pulley for you. I ordered it on Monday, received in on Thursday. No tax and cheap shipping. Less than $130 total! I will try to post some pictures.

Note: I was able to retain the factory belt with my install using this alternator. I will post pictures soon.
For that price I'll just order one, to hell with me crawling around in the pick and pull for a day in this 100 degree weather. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:46 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

JoKA, you've got a LOT of fancy words in your sig!....Do ya understand any of em?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:49 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Can you run the stock AC compressor with this mod?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:27 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Stock AC works fine. I used the same alternator as shown above by URG8RB8. Pretty easy install. Just need to mill a slot in the stock alternator cradle and mill down the mount lugs on the alternator itself.

Here are some pictures of mine done a few weeks back.
Attached Images    
Old 06-26-2011, 05:36 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

cool! Thanks!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:08 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

+1, I have modded the alternator to fit both NA and Turbo cars, and both work just fine with the OE AC intact!

And yes, my sig is there for a reason...
Old 06-26-2011, 08:32 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice pictures above!!! Glad it worked out for you as well. I too have installed another one of these on my CA car this time. It worked perfectly. I had the same mod made to my factory mounting bracket. I read 14.2 volts while cruising at 70 on the factory gauge. Getting ready to install IceShark light harness, should be interesting to see how all this works out. I all ready have the IceShark battery harness with supplementals installed, Big thanks to Robby for getting me all those parts for two cars! It took a while, but Robby is a great guy.

Quick Reply: Smaller alternator issue completed(pics)