Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need Help valuing my Totalled 86 951

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 03:17 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

burma i cant believe your car got totalled already! I havent even seen it done yet!
Old 08-02-2007, 03:27 PM
914srcool
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug-

I saw your thread and have to give my $ .02. As a man in the collison industry I see this daily. Insurance companies determine value based on zip code. (example: a convertible car would be worth money in Florida than a 4X4 truck, and vice versa). It's best to have a licensed vehicle appraiser to do a appraisal on the vehicle. Have reciepts for all maintenance and upgrades ( example the a/c recharge would be considered maintenance). Appraisers ( a good one) will provide "legal" documentation that will ring clear in a insurers eyes. Bottom line... your the claimant and they legally owe to put you in "pre-loss" condition no better no worse. Feel free to ask any questions. Good Luck and keep up 951 guys posted

Jake
Old 08-02-2007, 04:16 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your loss. I fear a similar incident happening, inattentive drivers on the phone and lifted trucks that don't see me scare me. But +1 for the safety of the 944 in crashes.

Interesting thread, I actually just called my insurance company yesterday to see if I can safeguard against this type of battle. Their response was not surprising but very disappointing. As my daily I'm limited to non collector insurance so an agreed value policy is not an option.
As a negotiation you can accept a lower payoff in return for a cheaper buyback so you can strip the parts you want. It looked like a very clean car. You also have a very solid negotiating position in that this was 100% not your fault.
Best of luck getting what you deserve. You can always take either of the insurance companies and the 16 year old driver (and/or her parents) to small claims court.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by azmi951
Sorry to hear about your loss. I fear a similar incident happening, inattentive drivers on the phone and lifted trucks that don't see me scare me. But +1 for the safety of the 944 in crashes.

Interesting thread, I actually just called my insurance company yesterday to see if I can safeguard against this type of battle. Their response was not surprising but very disappointing. As my daily I'm limited to non collector insurance so an agreed value policy is not an option.
As a negotiation you can accept a lower payoff in return for a cheaper buyback so you can strip the parts you want. It looked like a very clean car. You also have a very solid negotiating position in that this was 100% not your fault.
Best of luck getting what you deserve. You can always take either of the insurance companies and the 16 year old driver (and/or her parents) to small claims court.
Ther is no need to accept a lower settlement in order to buy your car back. After you settle on a price, just tell them you want to retain the car for salvage and if owner retention is allowed in your state they will tell you how much, usually around 20% of the settlement but this can vary slightly as well. In Doug's case I would think a little lower because the damage is severe so there are less parts to interest dismantlers. I didn't negotiate too hard on the buyback as the price they quoted me was fair and my car was repairable.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 PM
lejams
Pro

Have an independent appraisal done with comps (make sure the appraisal service is well acquainted with Porsche)

Show copies of receipts for all upgrades, (anything that applies as routine maintenance is NA)

Get an appraisal from Porsche Club of America (they are our friends)

Begin with ACV and negotiate from there.

The work to get this together is money in the bank, it's just ashame we have to re-earn it.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:43 PM
myskyon
Intermediate

wow nationwide offered you $9300?!?!!? wow i just had my 87 totaled and they first offered me $2500 becuase they couldnt find any that sold so they used the 944 as its replace ment i fought with them for 2 months and they settled with me at a little over 6k. now i would fight with them at first and try to get more from them then if they will not budge get an apraiser out to look at your car then take that if that is what you are happy with then send that to them. did they use ccc value scope? to get the market value? if so also try to get them to widen the search to state wide adn then another state too. or try for nation wide. i hate allied insurance for tring to get a settle ment. i am cheating the system now i am just holding $10k of "extra coverage" on my car jst in case some one hits me. also the buy back should be around 550$ maybe a little more.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:35 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by myskyon
wow nationwide offered you $9300?!?!!? wow i just had my 87 totaled and they first offered me $2500 becuase they couldnt find any that sold so they used the 944 as its replace ment
that is exactly what they tried to do with me, based the value on regular 944 prices. there are some scumbags working at nationwide.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:02 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone's gotta say it. Might as well be me.

That'll buff right out!
Old 08-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Douglas Sorrells
Racer

Yea, I'm actually making some headway with them, As of today their offer is now up to $10,800 with a buyback of the salvage car at $2500. I just faxed them additional receipts for upgrades of $4054. If I can get them to get the salvage down to $2000 I'm probably going to settle. Otherwise, a professional appraiser is scheduled to come look at the car this evening. I'll let all know how it turns out, and Thanks to everyone for your input!

Douglas
Old 08-03-2007, 08:21 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Damn teenie boppers!! That car looks beautiful in the frontal pic, what a waste, breaks my heart, darn insurance companies always pay the minimum, did you get whiplash? Did she get a ticket for careless driving or negligence? Sorry to hear about your loss, I would sell the upgrades and turn the car in stock...
Old 08-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Douglas Sorrells
Racer

Did she get a ticket for careless driving or negligence?
No, the cop knew her and didn't want to get her in more trouble. He thought her car was also already totaled & knew she only had liability.

I can't go back to stock after the mass flow, tial & stage III turbo. Just too slow.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by myskyon
also the buy back should be around 550$ maybe a little more.
Not even close.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Douglas Sorrells
Yea, I'm actually making some headway with them, As of today their offer is now up to $10,800 with a buyback of the salvage car at $2500. I just faxed them additional receipts for upgrades of $4054. If I can get them to get the salvage down to $2000 I'm probably going to settle. Otherwise, a professional appraiser is scheduled to come look at the car this evening. I'll let all know how it turns out, and Thanks to everyone for your input!

Douglas
Way to go Doug, That sounds more like it!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Douglas Sorrells
Racer

Way to go Doug, That sounds more like it!
Thanks for your help Rob! They said that they would not pay according to NADA, but I was able to have Lindsey Racing email me thousands in recents which did seem to help. I let you know what the final number is & thanks again!

Doug
Old 08-05-2007, 02:30 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cop did not cite her!?!??!?!?! I would be livid.

Quick Reply: Need Help valuing my Totalled 86 951