Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a Super 61 going in soon also. Already have the SFR 3" downpipe attached and ready to go. Cant wait to hit the streets with this new set up.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porschefile
I think a lot of people might get confused on this subject. Technically everything post-turbo is being FORCED out of the motor. Velocity isn't really a concern as much as being able to get as large a volume of air out as possible. 3" turbo back is a good idea. Pre-turbo, yes velocity is very important as you want to get airflow to the turbo as quickly as possible to get things spooling more quickly. After the turbo you simply need to get as much air out of the way as quickly as possible to keep from holding the turbo back with backpressure. True, you can "engineer" the exhaust a bit more efficient than that but a 3" turbo back exhaust is still a better idea on a 951 with an upgraded turbo than sticking with the stock stuff.
Your version was much nicer than mine! I'm ....jealous. Well said.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:14 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nize
apparantly, either you are not searching correctly, are retarded, or are just lazy and want others to do your research for you. searching for 'downpipe' in the 951 forum returns over 150 results. here are two to get you started before you continue to beat this long dead horse;
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=downpipe
You are calling Mike retarded?? I have trouble with this coming from the "road rage" expert on the list. I think this is a subject myself and at least 1 or 2 others might like to hear the latest input on. Search is always a good idea, I'm new, I know, I agree. But sometimes there is new opinions and data that might be of some use, unlike calling someone retarded and lazy.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Hey there, thanks for the "retarded" mark there, I was looking for some info if anyone has seen an improvement going to the 3" downpipe and where people got them. I did do a search on downpipe but many don't talk about increase in performance just by itself. Most do larger turbo other exhaust work at the same time, so of course they will get an improvement. I am tring to see if spending over $400 on the pipe is really worth it.

apparantly, either you are not searching correctly, are retarded, or are just lazy and want others to do your research for you. searching for 'downpipe' in the 951 forum returns over 150 results. here are two to get you started before you continue to beat this long dead horse;
Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Best rule of thumb anyone ever told me.

To do it right. Expect about 1 horsepower per $100 Spent. While that isn't always true with turbo cars... (INtake, chip exhaust,) It starts hitting that price after those upgrades. So.... In that perspective. AFTER the first ones are accomplished. I think It will be worth it with the quicker spool and small increase in horsepower combined.

Headers for NSX... 1600. Power increase..20hp. The world I came from.. So what seem like expensive upgrades to most here. I think are a pretty good Bang for my dollars. .....02
Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike1982
Hey there, thanks for the "retarded" mark there, I was looking for some info if anyone has seen an improvement going to the 3" downpipe and where people got them. I did do a search on downpipe but many don't talk about increase in performance just by itself. Most do larger turbo other exhaust work at the same time, so of course they will get an improvement. I am tring to see if spending over $400 on the pipe is really worth it.
for the record, nobody did a before/after dyno comparison with just the downpipe swapped and nothing else changed.

perhaps you could do one.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike1982

Are you still on a stock turbo? If so, it's not really worth it due to the cost and hassle involved as there are cheaper/easier ways to get power out of the stock setup. With any upgraded 300+whp turbo, there's definitely a worthwhile gain. Although I have no substantiating facts to back that up with a 951, the sheer number of people seeing gains and improvements in spool on smaller motors and with smaller turbos leads me to believe there is definitely some room for improvement in this aspect on 951's. Although I can almost predict someone will start whining yet again about my lack of proof, alas no one has bothered to offer any facts or proof to disprove this claim either.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Mike1982
Drifting

Yea, this downpipe will be going on my new turbo, Lindsey super 61 dry turbo.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

In that case, I'd do a 3" downpipe as that's a pretty good sized turbo.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

for the record, nobody did a before/after dyno comparison with just the downpipe swapped and nothing else changed.

perhaps you could do one.
Thanks for your contribution on this thread nize. First you called him a retatrd because he didn't search right, yet the two links you posted had zero information in them and then this bold claim. Here is a novel idea - if you don't have anythig useful to add - don't post.

Mike - give Eric Steinel a call and get his take. He has done his share of playing around with high hp 951's. Also you might try posting on 951forums. a final thought is to talk to Stainlessworks to see if they would fab one up for you - they are in Auburn and could fit it to your car. I would be willing to go in with you if they can build multiple units for minimal extra to defray the costs.
http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/index.php
Old 08-02-2007, 11:02 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

for a long time i've been considering jigging up to make 3 and 3.5 " down pipes what is a fair price for them change over 200??
and the further forward you go with exhuast the more it matters the bigger it is at the start the more it cools from expanding and the less pipe it needs later on that is why plenty of fasts evos get around with a full system and a choke in the back and see liitle effect removing the choke
Old 08-02-2007, 11:05 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
for a long time i've been considering jigging up to make 3 and 3.5 " down pipes what is a fair price for them change over 200??
and the further forward you go with exhuast the more it matters the bigger it is at the start the more it cools from expanding and the less pipe it needs later on that is why plenty of fasts evos get around with a full system and a choke in the back and see liitle effect removing the choke

3.5 ain't gonna work on a 951, dude.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Nize, I think we all know you're the retard. I remember when you came on here looking for a used J-boot and got upset because you couldn't find one under $30. Cheap cheap cheap. And lets not forget the recent that thread when you posted your story about how you were traffic cop for a day. I bet like 50 years ago when you were in grade school you volunteered to be hall monitor.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:33 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

3.5 dump pipe into a full 3" is a proven science . and what if you had a full 4" exhust is 3.5" still no good ??
i understand that you cant go bigger than 3" at the lower flange . from the back of the turbo to the tailpipe tip nothing bigger has ever not worked .
Old 08-02-2007, 11:41 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by nitehawk951
Nize, I think we all know you're the retard. I remember when you came on here looking for a used J-boot and got upset because you couldn't find one under $30. Cheap cheap cheap. And lets not forget the recent that thread when you posted your story about how you were traffic cop for a day. I bet like 50 years ago when you were in grade school you volunteered to be hall monitor.
uhh, yeah, cause used j-boots sure sell for more! you're obviously referring to this thread, how is it retarded? please elaborate.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=j-boot

and the reckless driving hit-and-run chick is still in jail while i'm not. i didn't know so many people would defend crazy hit-and-runners. rennlist sure is awesome.

Quick Reply: Downpipe