Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CV joints. Better alternatives than stock /GKN?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007 | 06:56 AM
PorscheLars
Advanced

To eliminate vibration from the tranny we can just mount a rubber pad on the rod end.

"Doesn't bother me. In fact I'm impressed that sort of dog can type."
The dog is no longer with me. She was nearly as clever she could typing (or is my english so bad that its no different from dogenglish ;-) ) I could speak to her in the telephone and she answerd with a lot of strange low sounds. Her development the years she lived was to fast for the evolution so I suspect a higer force intefered and gave her canser as a crismas present :-(

Last edited by PorscheLars; 08-12-2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-12-2007 | 10:07 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheLars
To eliminate vibration from the tranny we can just mount a rubber pad on the rod end.

"Doesn't bother me. In fact I'm impressed that sort of dog can type."
The dog is no longer with me. She was nearly as clever she could typing (or is my english so bad that its no different from dogenglish ;-) ) I could speak to her in the telephone and she answerd with a lot of strange low sounds. Her development the years she lived was to fast for the evolution so I suspect a higer force intefered and gave her canser as a crismas present :-(
Sorry for your loss, she sounds like a great dog :{
Old 08-12-2007 | 01:13 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by anders44
heh.. bloody hands, and a snapped bolt under the preload of tbar right side....

sweet race btw, gotto love that v8 sound though..
Damn. ouch. I always get leary of that removal The pre-load is fierce. Are your hands ok?
Old 08-12-2007 | 01:16 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by CMF
hello!

......ok... Very interesting... But what about the "Flange" at the wheel/hub?
there is custom made flanges. I take picture soon.

OH. Hey. It's you..... So you had Custom Flanges welded on to the Stock Spindle at the Swing arm? That makes sense. Just Scared of doing that since getting one welded on Perfectly straight seems like it would be almost impossible. But do-able.

I look forward to the pictures! Thank you.
Old 08-13-2007 | 02:10 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Looked soft. It wasn't It did take a bit for the boost to get going. But it definately could have gotten off better. That was a 2.0 60' time.

I think you took that the wrong way it looked like you left easy on it.

I just got my car ready today. I just picked up a set of Mickey Thompson et streets for 100 that were like new off craigslist, what a steal, these should cure my 2nd and 3rd gear spin problem

I will be heading up weds or maybe even tues for the race car tune if I get itchy.

Thanks again for the testing of the new bar. I hope it keeps my stuff together.

Don't know where I'll end up but it is running good right now.

Is there a correction factor since I'm at 5200 ft? J/K I want to hit the number don't care about the air just have to work harder.

Anyone else going up this week? To try for it?
Old 08-13-2007 | 01:35 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Naw. my posts sometimes come out harsher that I would like. Boost certainly took a while to come on. Seems to be the problem with these cars. I can Definately get it out there faster with a better burn out less air in tires and a better track. I would have kept going, but my Air Fuels scared the hell out of me, so I was happy to drive home. (trailer was un-available that weekend) So.

Do you guys know that higher elevations only really effect lag. Not power as much as you think on Turbo cars. Yes. the turbo has to spin a little harder. But it's still pushing in 15psi of air. 1 bar is one bar. No matter what elevation. So. If your boost gauge is reading 15psi. you have the exact same amount of air as I do at 80ft elevation pushing 1 bar. My turbo just works a little less giving up maybe a couple percent efficiency.

I'm not saying there's not a little disadvantage. But. No where near as much if you were NA.

ok.... I'm braced. I'm ready. Flame away.!
Old 08-13-2007 | 02:50 PM
blown 944
Race Car

No flaming from me I fully understand the air density in regards to boost (as in full boost)

The main difference is the time it takes to build apon the accumulated boost.

Example is it takes us up here about 3-4 psi to equal 1 atmosphere at your level. That in itself takes a little time (LAG) then you have the recovery on every shift.

I think I have a good setup going to eliminate it as much as possible, but don't want to get ahead of myself before some real numbers are generated.
Old 09-27-2007 | 07:16 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Bringing this post back up - did you ever have a chance to test the bar out more 95ONE?

Any ideas how people who still have mufflers in that location could make a bar like this?
Old 09-27-2007 | 07:28 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by billthe3
Bringing this post back up - did you ever have a chance to test the bar out more 95ONE?

Any ideas how people who still have mufflers in that location could make a bar like this?
I went two more times to the track after that. My best 60' was a 1.9. Not an awesome one. But fairly strong. I shifted hard everytime. exactly like when I broke the CV the first time. But it held every time. I just couldn't get one of those hard core drag race launches to really test it. I revved to 5k rpms and dumped the clutch.. Pretty harsh stuff. The launches just didn't go so well because there wasn't enough power to keep it from bogging. The tires were too sticky so the car didn't really go anywhere until boost hit.

None the less. I would certainly say it's been a success. I doubt the CV would stay together if I took off the brace and launched the same way. I'm just not willling to test that. I have enough work ahead of me.
Old 09-28-2007 | 09:07 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95ONE
TMS951 noticed that we both broke CV caged on the Driver side.

Has anyone else who has broken a CV Cage on WHICH SIDE it has broken? TMS is thinking that maybe Transmission movement might have something to do with this.
Originally Posted by David Floyd
Drivers side for me also.
Originally Posted by 95ONE
Sweet. I think we might be on to something here. If maybe a few can confirm this side... we might have some solid evidence that it might not be JUST the cages. Maybe there's a different fix here.
Originally Posted by blodstrupmoen
Never thought about it, but now that it is mentioned the last two cages I broke where on the drivers side...
It's been my understanding that the driver's side CV failure is primarily due to the grease drying out from the exhaust heat, since it's the closest CV to the exhaust pipe.
Old 09-28-2007 | 06:42 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Mine was full of grease. Plenty juicy. Not the reason mine broke.
Old 10-03-2007 | 04:59 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just figured I'd chime in and say that my driver's side axle started making noise the other day
Old 10-03-2007 | 05:24 PM
Tms951
Pro

mine were not dry either. One of tem went after only 100miles on the car. I will stand by that I think it is the CV being compressed until the bearing are pushed through the cage.

With a solid transmission mount I have not broken any more, I have still upgraded my axles to be sure that nothing breaks from torque and not just side to side movement of the trans.
Old 10-03-2007 | 06:51 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Once again, thanks TMS951 for noticing that this was happening mostly on the drivers side. Good call.
Old 10-03-2007 | 07:11 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Yes, the one I've broken was drivers side and was almost new, good grease, etc. Broke it when I was solid trans mount fyi on a HARD 1-2. Granted, I also sheared two stub axles and had a wheel bearing to replace so there was some abnormal play in my setup at that time.

Quick Reply: CV joints. Better alternatives than stock /GKN?