Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do you really have to pull the crank pulleys to remove the rear belt cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 11:19 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you really have to pull the crank pulleys to remove the rear belt cover?

After a month vacation in Europe, and all the beautiful cars I saw, I have returned home with a new motivation to get my turbo back on the road. I don't cut corners and so she is in the process of getting many of the basics in the engine bay replaced, all the way to the radiator, water pump, and a new stock turbo (my existing K26 has 197K on it). The top and bottom end were rebuilt by the PO but for some reason even though they did all the front seals they left the old crappy waterpump on there, complete with a thermostat that is missing the appropriate rubber spacer ring - it flops all around in the pump.

Last night I pulled all the belts and rollers, only to realize that the brand new rear belt cover that was installed on the car seems to require the crank pulleys to be removed to take it off. Now I know this was not the case on my 87 NA that I rebuilt last year.... what gives? If that is truly the case it make my life way harder, and for sure that stupid thing won't be put back on. I run the NA coverless with no problems, and would rather be able to look at the belts than have to deal with those stupid things.

Thanks for the Saturday morning help...
Old 07-28-2007, 11:23 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 262 Posts

Yes for both the 86 and the 87.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:31 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Wheeee. Makes for a fun day for me... Cascading issues of stupidity. When a PO did the cat delete, they welded the flange by the wastegate on incorrectly, so I can't remove the starter without taking off the exhaust. Which means I can't install a flywheel lock, which means I can't remove the crank pulley, which means I can't remove the belt cover or waterpump without removing the exhaust.

I do have a new wastegate so I might as well do it. But what a PITA. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:09 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

I was able to remove the timing belt and install a new one without removing the crank pulley.

It requires some minor bending and and rotating the crank a few degrees back and forth, but it is do-able.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:14 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I have the belt off no problem. But to do the water pump I need to take off the rear belt cover. And it actually looks like they used a liquid sealant on the water pump and not a gasket. There was all sorts of funky sealant goo all over this car. Whatever mechanic had his hands on this thing I would like to meet him in a dark alley sometime.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:41 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I feel your pain. Like you said tho': Don't cut any corners. It'll be worth it when you are done. You should probably replace the WP once you've gone this far. GL!

BTW - make sure you tighten that @*&% crank bolt back down to spec or you won't have any oil pressure!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:31 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
I have the belt off no problem. But to do the water pump I need to take off the rear belt cover. And it actually looks like they used a liquid sealant on the water pump and not a gasket. There was all sorts of funky sealant goo all over this car. Whatever mechanic had his hands on this thing I would like to meet him in a dark alley sometime.
A dark alley? Woah buddy. Whatever that means...

I think I remember getting my water pump out without removing the rear cover. It required a lot of wiggling and messing around with, plus I think my covers were already cracked in half at the top. That made it easier. Just go try it, otherwise all you have to do is remove the crank pulley. It would have taken less time to do that then type this entire thread up and talk about dark alleys and such...
Old 07-28-2007, 07:31 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to remove the pulley to install TB. I've done mine with out removing the pulley .
Old 07-28-2007, 09:17 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Yep, the PO got everything for the front end (rollers, seals, belts and pump) and then forgot to add that water pump gasket (it's like less than $5 or so), so the mechanic applied some high temp silicon.....looks like i will have fun getting that stuff off next time.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schwank
Ooo sounds kinky
Old 07-29-2007, 02:26 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

you can get the pulley off without a flywheel lock. you have to pull the radiator and use an impact gun though. Or you can put a ratchet with a long pipe attached and brace it on the ground and tap the key and that usually will take it off.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:41 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. And I like the dark alley jokes too...

Anyway, the car is a big slippery slope for me. Lots of things I gotta fix, one being the exhaust anyway. So today that whole deal will come off anyway so I can do the wastegate etc. I will be swapping to a new turbo so I have lots of work ahead of me there.

Why is it never easy? Ah well.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:45 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would get a flyhweel lock.

Worth it for any work you may do. Yes the crank pulley needs to come off to get to the water pump. This is one reason I don't run either belt cover on the 944 spec car. easier access to parts. I do run the covers on my Turbo S for street use.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:37 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

I have one Joe... used it when I did the track car last winter. Except the NA is late and so you can pull the rear cover without taking off the crank pulley. I really don't like that design

Managed to get the exhaust and starter off yesterday and the flywheel lock is in place. Now I gotta figure out how to bust that pulley loose.

Quick Reply: Do you really have to pull the crank pulleys to remove the rear belt cover?