Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

should my Kep be in this condition?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:52 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paragon is, by far, one of the best, and most honest suppliers in the Porsche game. That minor surface corrosion won't have any affect. Pay the shipping and get a new one.
If there was something actually wrong with the product, they would have taken care of it on their dime, I assure you.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:36 AM
ApexCars
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paragon has always been excellent for me.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:22 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Yep, paragon is excellent.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:25 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have spent many thousands of dollars with paragon, always top notch sales and service. They know their stuff.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:37 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Paragon is, by far, one of the best, and most honest suppliers in the Porsche game. That minor surface corrosion won't have any affect. Pay the shipping and get a new one.
If there was something actually wrong with the product, they would have taken care of it on their dime, I assure you.
As much as I agree, that doesn't mean they can't slip up once in a while. I'm going to sound like a sally on this one but even though the clutch will still operate as advertised, for a $600 NEW piece, it should be flawless. If it were my company and I wanted to keep up the kind of reputation Paragon has spent years building, I would have eaten the shipping cost for the customer in this case.

Although even after this issue, I still would recommend using Paragon for any and all orders.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:22 AM
JE_951
Pro

DDP: exactly what I was thinking. A company that makes as much money as they do, has such a good reputation (from what I have heard), and since I paid $600 for a NEW PERFECT condition pressure plate, I would expect them to suck up the little extra and send me a new one..

Is that surface rust going to affect anything at all do you think? Honestly I just want the damn piece to work!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:45 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JE_951
DDP: exactly what I was thinking. A company that makes as much money as they do, has such a good reputation (from what I have heard), and since I paid $600 for a NEW PERFECT condition pressure plate, I would expect them to suck up the little extra and send me a new one..

Is that surface rust going to affect anything at all do you think? Honestly I just want the damn piece to work!
The pressure plate is going to do the job is a kep after all, the only problem I see is that when people look at you pp they are going to say " oh man you pp is rusted"
Old 07-29-2007, 07:17 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

What do you think it'll look like 10 miles down the road?

Paragon didn't manf. the thing, the "fingers" are raw steel without an anti-rust coating. Put it in the car and move along as that amount of surface rust won't affect anything.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:21 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Only thing now, is it a Stg1 or 2? No sign of the 2 stamped on it would make me a bit curious.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, as I believe JE noted, it is a Stage 2 pressure plate as that's what is inscribed on one of the fingers. I visited with Chris in the warehouse and he says that's how and where they're marked...at least on the units we received lately. We're not in the business of selling used parts so I can assure you that's not the case here. Once in a blue moon we'll have a fluke used part and we usually try to offer it to Rennlisters at a pretty serious discount. Corpus Christi climate is very humid so corrosion is not an uncommon thing. We've thought about putting some sort of coating or lubricant on the fingers when the pp's arrive from KEP but I'm a little nervous about doing that. Number one we are about customer service and for JE we've evidently not done a good job. JE, if you're so inclined, we'll issue a UPS Call Tag to pick up your PP and I can have KEP ship one to you direct. Just let me know.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 07-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, this is not uncommon unless the manufacturer coats the fingers in oil or wraps the pressure plate. A bit of humidity, rain on the box, or a myriad of other things weather/shipping related things can cause this and I've had it happen a few times. The surface rust will not affect operation in any way unless it is really bad and you leave it on there. In that case (not your situation) it can score the throw out bearing the first time you engage the clutch but even then it's unlikely.

If you're really concerned with it, take a square of scotchbrite or 600 grit sandpaper and get it off there. It should only take you a few seconds. If you want just run a paper towel damp with oil across it. It's really not a big deal and it will take you longer to repackage for shipment then it will clean it up.

I can't blame Paragon too much for this because to spend $60 on a return shipment for something so insignificant is asking a lot. I'm sure if they did a 100% inspection of all incoming parts they would have caught it and cleaned it up. Again, it will not affect performance or longevity of the clutch.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:53 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jason,Way to step up ! That is exactly why we do business with you.. FRED
Old 07-31-2007, 12:52 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

you shouldnt complain at least it doesnt look like this

broke after about 15k to 20k miles of use reason why not sure.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:09 AM
JE_951
Pro

Jasin: thank you for the offer. I will be the first person to say that i am not the most educated in clutch systems and how they work. After hearing that this is not a problem with functionality I will not be needing a replacement. I was caught up in the moment of "SH*t not I cant finish my clutch w/o paying for shipping and waiting another week", but now I am excited to install my new part. I have a few more parts to buy and hope you guys will have the best price.

BTW: my brake wear sensors looked great

Quick Reply: should my Kep be in this condition?