Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

cool air is cool (nude pics of raw alu)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:27 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cool air is cool (nude pics of raw alu)

yes it fits, no you don't need to modify the frame

need cutting in the alu rail and on top of bumper/bottom of nose panel but won't stick up actually.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:31 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not big enough.

You going to leave it that color behind the bumper, or paint it black or something?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:27 PM
lejams
Pro

Nice snug work. How much did you take out of the aluminum bumper rail & which IC is that?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:40 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

I will remove it all again when I get the time and do pics but here is the quick & dirty.

on the alurail, measure 4cm in on the rail from the center of mounting holes, mark the spot, then hold it all together and look how wide ic is, you need to cut minor parts of the re-enforcement where alu is aprox 1cm total. then use something long and stirdy and draw a straight line, where the line cross towhook mounting it will be aprox 1cm from edge (so towhook will work still). flip it over and the same on underside.

then cut top of bumper in similar fashen, remove the hose so you don't cut it to pieces, you will now only mount the hose with 2 mounts as a lot of center is removed.

really considering "removing some material from the liscenseplate holder as that will be a huge increase of flow.

the IC holder needs to be unscrrewd so pressure pipes doesn't hit.

here is the ebay shop i got the intercooler at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RX7-R...spagenameZWDVW

can't paint it black, how will all the babes know I have a huge fmic and give me the luvin then?

more pics of cooler

Old 07-26-2007, 08:49 PM
lejams
Pro

The pics would be great to see. 4cm - so you are removing about 50% of the bumper in the I.C. area?

Do you percieve any pressure drop? I want to do something like this with the 3.0 liter. Wonder if i can use mu Speedforce hardpipes without having to modify them too much?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:56 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

just cut until bumper fits

you remove 4cm intil rails at most, and aprox 1cm at least.

since bumper is not mounted all the way onto rail you remove aprox max material before it starts turning down and shows. it's a bitch to work on. alu rail is even worse.. hot tip here is NOT anglegrinder and NOT jigsaw but a sircularsaw and a big buddy to hold that sucker down.

pressure drop/problem? noop massive amounts of air, and descent design of endtanks.

you will need custom hardpipes, should handle a 3liter depends how wild really, you can optimze flow in misc ways.

this was more of a "proof of concept" for the doubters
Old 07-26-2007, 09:04 PM
lejams
Pro

Not too wild but I want substantial improvement over stock while maintaining the sleeper look so I like how you've done this. When you pull it back out and put the pics up, I can see better how much material to remove your talking about. That aluminum is pretty thick up there.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:05 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I smell an overheating issue coming. These things have a hard enough time keeping coolant temp in check. Don't you think this will block a significant amount of air flow to your radiator?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:07 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

kinda what i was thinking- maybe some cool routing to the radiator is called for...or not.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anders44
can't paint it black, how will all the babes know I have a huge fmic and give me the luvin then?

This is the best point made in recent memory!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

since I'm doing fiberglasswork I will have a duct in the hood behind radiator to improve flow, there will also be made ducts so flow does not escape or get disturbed. in worst case i can actually makde a duct from nosepanel into radiator...

and yes, radiatorflow and air heating is the reason the oil cooler is not sandwiched or put in middle of car but on sides.

the coolingfins on IC is pretty big-masked and core is "only" 3.5" meaning it should pass plenty of flow to radiator. and at the moment they are even bugfree and unbent.

I will post updates on how cooling goes.

as long as there is flow and not turbulense/airpockets it's usually all fun and games.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 PM
JE_951
Pro

Did you need to cut the center bumper piece? Just modification to the support rail and where bumper meets nose panel need modification right?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Damn thats a big SOB.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:07 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

i will be taking the same route as well so please take alot of pictures and keep us updated!looks great but isnt this the same setup as duke?dukes setup has the inlet and outlet of the intercooler at the stock location,up higher.as far as issues with over heating,i read(somewhere here on RL) that just as long there is no space between the intercooler and radiator(like a snug fit) there should not be any overheating issues because the air flows straight through the IC and rad. if there was a big gap between the ic and rad. there would be turbulence between them causing the car to overheat.well thats what i remember reading.can anyone else confirm this?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:13 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I guess I'm the only one here. So.. hate me if you must... That's too big. Mine is rated at 650hp. (see avatar.) It's almost half that size. Air needs to get to the radiator.

Quick Reply: cool air is cool (nude pics of raw alu)