Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stock wastegate vs. Tial

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:36 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
Yea, 90% of "rolling off boost" is just stock turbos running out of steam.

The wastegate bleeding exhaust is still a huge limiter. I had a stock turbo and noticed a huge improvement with the Tial and MBC. 90% may be too much of a number if you still have the stock wastegate.

I used have a LBE before the Tial and even with it set to ~14psi, it was bleeding badly. Once the tial was installed, I had to really retard the boost as it was jumping to 19psi.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:16 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by streckfu's
The wastegate bleeding exhaust is still a huge limiter. I had a stock turbo and noticed a huge improvement with the Tial and MBC. 90% may be too much of a number if you still have the stock wastegate.

I used have a LBE before the Tial and even with it set to ~14psi, it was bleeding badly. Once the tial was installed, I had to really retard the boost as it was jumping to 19psi.

That's exactely what happened to me.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:27 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is bleeding because of the exhaust manifold gaskets and some broken/ stripped studs...getting fixed as we speak...
Old 07-27-2007, 12:49 PM
myskyon
Intermediate

ok now i have been thinking and talking with a few people about this the tial gate gives you the ability to close it completly after it has started to open witch is good but i think that could put a lot of strain on the turbo like maybe causing it to over spin(?) exceed it maximun rpms. is that possable? what would be the outcome of that? i am not trying to say dont get a tial gate but on a 20+ year old turbo i think that would be bad any extra strain. maybe i am way off bace but i was just thinking about it
Old 07-27-2007, 01:13 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myskyon
ok now i have been thinking and talking with a few people about this the tial gate gives you the ability to close it completly after it has started to open witch is good but i think that could put a lot of strain on the turbo like maybe causing it to over spin(?) exceed it maximun rpms. is that possable? what would be the outcome of that? i am not trying to say dont get a tial gate but on a 20+ year old turbo i think that would be bad any extra strain. maybe i am way off bace but i was just thinking about it
I guess it depends on your definition of strain. There are lots of guys here with stock turbo pressures turned up to pretty high levels and you don't hear about then failing very often. Most people here do anywhere from simple to complex modifications to get more power, and making the boost come on as early as possible and hold as long as possible is the most common goal The Tial does a much better job at than than the stock wastegate. Maybe there's some data on turbo life vs. RPM/time data somewhere.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:01 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

No. By the wg bleeding off boost it makes the turbo work much harder and spin more to generate the desired boost.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

You are over-thinking this whole thing entirely too much. It's not that big of a deal. The stock wastegate is made from inferior materials, Tial wg's are made from superior materials (which are pretty much 100% resistant to corrosion). Stock wg is old single port technology, Tial is dual port newer technology. In general, trying to compare the stock wg to a Tial is comparing inferior/archaic technology, to new/advanced technology; newer is better in this case. As for turbo damage, that's not even an issue. The only way you are going to over-spin your turbo is if you pull the lines off the wastegate and drive around free-boosting. I think it should be stated that turbochargers in general (well maybe not some of the Chinese knock-off trash ) are incredibly resilient when you consider the kind of abuse they have to take. Considering our K26's tend to last a good 150-200k miles before needing a rebuild (well sometimes less than that), with a good part of that mileage seeing ~120-150,000rpm wheel speeds and high air temps, changing something simple like a wastegate (assuming it's done properly) is not going to have an effect on longevity.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:50 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
No. By the wg bleeding off boost it makes the turbo work much harder and spin more to generate the desired boost.
Bingo I said that before didn't I?

Originally Posted by lart951
Bingo, at leat someone got it right. In my first dyno sheet, I had setup my MBC at 18psi, the dyno was done with the shimmed stock wastegate (aka Ultimate guru pos). When the tial was installed and I went for the 1st test drive, my vdo boost gauge was showing 24-25 psi of boost and I had to do 3 more runs to adjust my MBC down to 18psi. My stock wastegate was bleeding 6-7psi I was running 24-25psi of boost in order to substain 18psi for a brief period. I hope that explanation helps.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:05 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Just to chime in here, I recently swapped my stock wastegate with a Tial 38mm one and instantly noticed boost hit harder and faster. It was night and day (and I had a known good stock wastegate). This is on a pretty stock car. Stock turbo, just chips and 3" exhaust. It is currently running in single port mode, but as I said, it still made a vast difference in boost spoolup in every gear. I'd never go back.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:19 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Old news should not even be debated stick in the tial and get it over with.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:59 AM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

+1

Quick Reply: Stock wastegate vs. Tial