Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

KLR 22 psi upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 02:20 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sawood12
Joel, What setup are you running? I can't see how you can run KLR knock protection with elevated boost pressures and DPW. My current setup is the Promax Stage 3 which I believe doesn't have the knock & overboost protection and runs an ultra-safe AFR to prevent knock and rely's on the external boost control to prevent overboost. Also I believe that other kits out there effectively disable the safety features so how can you achieve it?

I've thought about the SciVision system and the more I get into it the more it sounds like a good solution (if you are not after big HP and things like semi-sequential injection), especially with this KLR pressure sensor mod. But I want to get rid of the airbox and i've not read anything that says the SciVision kit can be installed with a cone filter behind the headlight. So many people use the Vistesse kit and rave on about it but does that offer knock and overboost protection?
Keep in mind that the overboost protection and knock generated timing retard are two entirely different functions. In my chips, and many others, even if the overboost protection is set to an 'unreal' value to map it out, you still have the knock detection and timing retard function of the KLR. You could actually use my chips with the stock KLR chip as I recommend bypassing the CV if using a manual boost controller. In my experience leaving the CV in the circuit has caused boost spikes and inconsistent boost levels. I can't speak for every aftermarket chip, but to test this just disconnect your knock sensors and go for a drive...

Regards,
Russell
Old 07-24-2007, 06:45 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rberry951
In my experience leaving the CV in the circuit has caused boost spikes and inconsistent boost levels. I can't speak for every aftermarket chip, but to test this just disconnect your knock sensors and go for a drive...

Regards,
Russell
Hey, wait a minute. I thought the 951 Booster chip was meant for a 100% stock configuration?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:59 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The booster chip is, and it retains stock overboost protection and uses the cycling valve. I'm referring to my DME III chips used with an external boost controller of some sort.

Regards,
Russell
Old 07-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by sawood12
Joel, What setup are you running? I can't see how you can run KLR knock protection with elevated boost pressures and DPW. My current setup is the Promax Stage 3 which I believe doesn't have the knock & overboost protection and runs an ultra-safe AFR to prevent knock and rely's on the external boost control to prevent overboost. Also I believe that other kits out there effectively disable the safety features so how can you achieve it?

I've thought about the SciVision system and the more I get into it the more it sounds like a good solution (if you are not after big HP and things like semi-sequential injection), especially with this KLR pressure sensor mod. But I want to get rid of the airbox and i've not read anything that says the SciVision kit can be installed with a cone filter behind the headlight. So many people use the Vistesse kit and rave on about it but does that offer knock and overboost protection?

I have not done this on a 951 but on a Saab 900 Turbo I used manual boost control and then switched to a modded APC box which allows higher boost and knock sensitive control of the 'APC' which is, I believe, the same part as the Porsche CV. I have a standalone setup of the APC system that could be used for boost control on a 951 but I am not sure how well the knock sensor calibration would work. Timing control would be left to the DME.

I had really hoped it'd be possible to bodge a Trionic 5 system (newer MAP based Saab fuel/boost/ignition control) on a 951 but the direct ignition system probably would not work right. I think it uses the same number of flywheel teeth as a 16v car but the ignition system is sophisticated and uses a low voltage across the spark plug gap to measure ionization in the chamber. It'd be cool if it could be fitted but that would mean disconnecting the coils from the DOHC coil over plug design and hoping they still work OK remounted with plug wires. Might be easier on an S2 turbo conversion, hmmm.

Anyway the reason I like the Saab systems is because they are a lot smarter than 951 systems, particularly when the 951 DME/KLR is coloring outside the lines with MAFs, boost over 1 bar, etc. Too bad Saab engines are in sideways or backwards and the drive wheels are on the wrong end. Ah well.

Overboost protection would be nice to have, all it takes is a blown off or melted wastegate line and you can wreck your motor. It should be a fuel cut to avoid blowing up your exhaust. It is rather violent at WOT, it used to toss my Saab 900 out of gear but that was mostly due to the bad motor mounts. Better than blowing the head gasket or breaking a piston.

I think a system like the stock system is a must for a daily driver that sees some hot days, humidity, etc. I have tried it with an MBC, unless you roll the boost way back on the first warm day in April I think you are asking for it.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: KLR 22 psi upgrade