Which Turbo and exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Turbo and exhaust?

Hello everyone,

So my first couple weeks reading through archives has left me with more questions than answers! My goal is to eventually have 300-350 RWHP with the quickest spool for daily driving. Exhaust, turbo, chips and 55 lb injectors will be done now and down the road I will get some headwork done, SFR's blow through MAF and a larger intercooler.
What I can't seem to decide on is...what size exhaust and what turbo!

So, opinions....

3" or 4" exhaust -cat delete with a Borla XR1

K26/8 or K27 or SFR stage 1 or some other flavor?

Thanks!
~Clint
Old 07-13-2007, 10:28 PM
JE_951
Pro

I have heard that the 4" doesnt offer any real gains over a 3" except for in the noise department. At higher boost levels (20+psi) it may help, but I would stick with the 3". Look at LindseyRacing and Speedforceracing for great exhausts at a great price. SFR is SAID to have better quality...But I wouldnt disreguarg LR since they make great products including their top-notch exhaust.

If you can get the test pipe since our cars give good power gains w/o the cat.

On the turbo...Most people say that a "stock" 26/8 or 27/6 or 8 wont really give you good gains for the money. I personaly havent tried either so I cant really give MY opinion on that though. Look into speedforceracing, Lindsey racing, Pauertuning, and vitesse for turbo's.

Sppedforracing can be direct bolt-on for a little more money then LR or pauer. I believe they use garret turbo's with modified downpipe to fit the stock location.

LR has direct-bolt ons with good turbo's. None are dual BB though (i believe).

Pauertuning has a full dual BB turbo and is a direct-bolt on for about $1600 out the door.

Vitesse will be spendier but you can get his chips to match the turbo which will help you in tuning ans such sown the road. Great things have been said about him (john) and his products!

Hope that helps...

Another tip: Injectors can be had at injectors.com for $250 that are 55lb seimens low resistance...no need to spend 400+ from o0ther venders.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:49 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

what i can of worms . expect a heap of posts and to be more unsure than ever i would say 4" is a must as you aaproach 400whp the benifits are there but i cant speak for cost effectiveness as I'l make my own i think i good system is more important than a 4" system so a good dump pipe good cat if there is one and good muffler. This Pauertuning guy seems super enthusiastic and that is golden.
I could rant pipes and turbos for days and this thread will but it's more about the people than the products epecialy if you dont set it up your self . so go with the vendors with the heart and the rep .
Old 07-14-2007, 12:36 AM
George D
Drifting

Best bang for the money is a good dual ball bearing turbo that will spool as well as a K26/6. Real 3" downpipe, cat delete or good race cat, 3" exhaust, Max951 chips and all associated fueling requirements. Your car will be very fun.

SFR, LR, Vitesse, and a few other vendors have good kits. Don't get too big a turbo and spend the money for a real 3" downpipe.

4" exhaust is LOUD. If you don't really know exactly what you are doing, work with a good vendor that has customers that you can talk with.

George
Old 07-14-2007, 12:47 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

what is a 3" downpipe worth ?? or 3.5 i'm considering doing a jig and making some .
Promax of of max chips are pretty good I've been kicking Andrews tyres forever and he's always an absolute gentlemen.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:23 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much price difference between the 3 and 4 inch exhausts and the 4" spools much quicker so you get tq sooner in the rev range - this is due to decreased back pressure. I don't find it loud at (I got the LR ssytem and had it ceramic coated - fits really well... I'm sure you would also not be disappointed with the SFR product) all but I think it depends on which muffler you use - I think the magnaflow is the better choice. I have to use a cat so i use a hi flow metal cat rather than a ceramic... they reckon it has minimal restriction compared to a test pipe.

LR have a dyno chart of a 951 'S' with minimal upgrades on their site... dpwg, mbc, 4" Exhaust, 3Bar fpr, Russell's MAxhp chips - it still used the stock 26/8 turbo and stock intake - no MAF, no piggback. It put out 305 rwhp and 345 rwtq.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Geneqco,

You have a source/links for that high flow metal cat?
Old 07-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Metal Cat link:
http://www.metalcat.com.au/

As it turns out the exhaust place actually supplied me with a US Magnaflow metal cat rather than the genuine Metal Cat. The main thing is that it is metal rather than ceramic and has the larger cell sizing to allow increased flow.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:44 PM
special tool
Banned

Just to add on the muffler thing.
I made 566 at the wheels yesterday through a Borla part #40944.
It is quiet - the cops don't even look at me.
I can't say enough good.

Also - in case anyone as immature as me is here - the Borla DOES NOT squelch flames at all.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Nice one Special Tool... Happy Birthday for the other day - glad to see the dyno gave you a great birthday!
Shame about Wednesday though.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:04 AM
Acetylene
Pro

Good luck with your search. Your likely to get a hundred ways to bake the same cake, but for my .02 don't go too large. Given your stated performance goals, you don't want a turbo that is too big - often times the race is over before you can get into the power band.

Oh, yeah...I agree with Tool - Flames are cool!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:15 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Gt28R. True 3" Downpipe with exhaust. problem is with installation. Custom.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Whew..cable modem died this weekend so I am just now getting caught up on all the replies. Thanks everyone.
I will go with the 3in exhaust and downpipe with a Borla. As for the turbo...I think I'll do a little more reading before I decide. There are way too many choices!

~Clint
Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Whatever you decide, make sure you go with a proven product. When you find a product used by MANY and they all agree on its performance then make your decision. Do it correctly the first time, much cheaper than having to redo it!!

Unless you want to tinker and you have the time and the know-how, get a complete system, where all of the components are designed to work together.

Quick Reply: Which Turbo and exhaust?