Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Off Topic: Would appreciate opinions on a long range cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Blackwater
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Topic: Would appreciate opinions on a long range cruiser

Recent events have totally changed my life and I feel the need to hit the road and cruise the U.S. of A.

The daily driver was totaled in my wife's accident and I need a new car. I've been leaning to maybe a C5 Z06 Corvette to a) fill my childhood fantasy to do the old Route 66 TV show thing, b) provide a reliable platform to cruise long distances, and c) to do both "a" and "b" in a relatively inexpensive way and provide the best value for my money. My F150 satisfies none of the above.

I'm shelving my current efforts on the '87 951 until the weather and my patience cool off.

I value you guys' opinion. What are your thoughts on the cruiser?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:42 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

The 951 has a HUGE fuel tank in comparison to most cars...and good mileage if unmolested. But for true, long range comfort...I would have to go with a dodge mega cab with a 90 gallon supplimental tank in the bed. 2400 miles of cruise range between fuel stops, enough room for a bed in the back seat and lots of comfort up front....now that is cruising.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:47 AM
reno928s
Pro

The vette is headache free, no over heating, AC, no issues at all. Reno
Old 07-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed a few listers have 750iLs. I toured Europe for almost 6 months in one a few years back... up to around 700 miles between fills on the open road + you can drive at almost whatever speed you like. Hard to beat.

All the best with your trip too and getting your life back together - I really feel for you.

Scott
Old 07-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

The new E class Mercedes is importing will have a turbo diesel getting in the mid to upper 30's and possibly 40+ miles per gallon. This is one I am taking a hard look at.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:10 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bimmer or supra - excellent comfort and power.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

You might want to check out a C5 Fixed Roof Coupe (FRC). Built before the Z06 was released, only 1999 and 2000 IFIC. Some of the features, pretty sure there are more:
  • Same chassis bracing as the convertible model
  • lighter than the targa or convertible
  • 3:42 rear end
  • Z51 handling package
  • Six speed manual only

I have seen a few of these cars go for considerably less than the Z06. Same HP as the base C5, but from what I understand about the LSx engines, it can be bumped up relatively easily. I have ridden in a few C5s and was not impressed by the interior, but that is not really what this car is about anyway.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

Have you considered a 928? A nice later model can be had fairly cheap and they are fantasic GT/Tourers...
Old 07-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Blackwater
Advanced

The most comfortable seating for me is when the height of my feet and legs are close to my ***. My truck kills my lower back, which pretty much eliminates any SUV or larger sedans. My 951 is extremely comfortable to me but the reliability factor and the availability of parts/mechanics pretty much eliminates that option or older/larger european sedans.

My budget is somewhere between 25k to 35k and I would like something in the 25+mpg range. I travel pretty light so luggage capacity is not a significant factor.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

I personally think the C5Z is a great overall car. I drive mine 2K a month and it's been great. The only weak link on these cars are the interior and more importantly the seats. The shifter is like a dump truck and it will never shift with the ease of my 951 but for a few bucks and an hours worth of labor you can really make an improvement. I've averaged 21mpg in mixed driving and 27 on the highway. With a couple of bolts-ons I'm in the 390RWHP range (will know more next week) and the AC is so cold that when it's 115 here I still have it on the lowest setting during my daily commute. I also track the bastard every chance I get and with the exception of the throttle induced under/oversteer it's dead nuts.

Before I bought it I looked at a ton of cars, (BMW, Viper, Porsche,MB) and the C5Z was the best value. If you're really considering one drop me a PM and I can give you some tips on what to look for pre-purchase.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:55 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my supra did great on the highway, and would cruise at 130+ w/o you even realizing it. Very comfortable seats, lumbar support and alot of other adjustments w/ the drivers seat. Dash layout is very good and easy to follow. Add that its easy to work on and your set.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:00 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

In that budget, I would probably get a 2001-2003 BMW M5. Don't worry about reliability, they are tanks-- really bulletproof. Very comfortable, very powerful, and the last time I took a 2000 mile roadtrip in one, we averaged close to 25mpg on the highway (cruise control on @ 70-80 mph and not getting into the pedal much) Nice examples can also be had all day long for $25k-$28k.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:25 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

bmw 5 or 7 series. with comfort seats. only mercedes is better at comfort, but they have no handeling
Old 07-13-2007, 01:48 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
I personally think the C5Z is a great overall car. I drive mine 2K a month and it's been great. The only weak link on these cars are the interior and more importantly the seats. The shifter is like a dump truck and it will never shift with the ease of my 951 but for a few bucks and an hours worth of labor you can really make an improvement. I've averaged 21mpg in mixed driving and 27 on the highway. With a couple of bolts-ons I'm in the 390RWHP range (will know more next week) and the AC is so cold that when it's 115 here I still have it on the lowest setting during my daily commute. I also track the bastard every chance I get and with the exception of the throttle induced under/oversteer it's dead nuts.

Before I bought it I looked at a ton of cars, (BMW, Viper, Porsche,MB) and the C5Z was the best value. If you're really considering one drop me a PM and I can give you some tips on what to look for pre-purchase.
And yet you keep the same avatar
Old 07-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dime1622
And yet you keep the same avatar
What do you think my Avatar looks like on the Corvette Boards????

Actually I hate most corvettes (c3 and c4's especially) and many of the owners are a bit too arrogant for me (you haven't met my neighbor yet). It's funny because I see them all the time and when I'm driving my p-cars they give me a "my **** don't stink" smirk. When I drive the Z most of them go out of thier way to acknowledge me because I have a Z. 99% of the time I ignore them and if I'm in the 951 I kick thier ***. It's funny because many of the newer 911 boys are the same way.

I do believe that every red blooded american male should own one once in thier life time.

Quick Reply: Off Topic: Would appreciate opinions on a long range cruiser