Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Even shocks from Walmart can have a high speed blowoff for compression. Certainly more stiffly valved shocks like the modded M030's or even the Koni 28 series that I have on my car will be better suited to track use than street use. I don't see anything on the KW site that would indicate they have anything that is any different than any other existing technology. I'm not trying to say they're not a good shock but just that I don't say anything earth shattering. Hopefully as time passes Koni will implement some of their FSD technology for Porsche applications...now THAT will be light years! Here's the link to the manufacturer KW is evidently using to make their shocks:

http://www.al-ko.es/english/alko_esp.htm

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 07-05-2007, 07:48 PM
tone3721
Drifting

Received 437 Likes on 315 Posts

I like my aftermarket M030 with bilsteins.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:16 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
Even shocks from Walmart can have a high speed blowoff for compression. Certainly more stiffly valved shocks like the modded M030's or even the Koni 28 series that I have on my car will be better suited to track use than street use. I don't see anything on the KW site that would indicate they have anything that is any different than any other existing technology. I'm not trying to say they're not a good shock but just that I don't say anything earth shattering. Hopefully as time passes Koni will implement some of their FSD technology for Porsche applications...now THAT will be light years! Here's the link to the manufacturer KW is evidently using to make their shocks:

Hey Jason, I defer to your much greater knowledge here so no arguments from me on that count. I can only tell you that the brand is VERY successful in European Motor racing for a smallish company and my car is WAY better than it was before. This is the general consensus from 100% of the people that I have read about and spoken to that have them installed. Having said that I'm sure there are other brands that make good products too.
Patrick
Old 07-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myskyon
i love my M474 koni's only thing i wish i could find is a place with a resonable price for replacement. or if koni had new updated models for the car. now as for the original question i would think that the problem you are asking about would be related to torsion bars too. not just shocks
aren't those technically koni yellows, just get the inserts. I can't find the writeup for how to mod them though. Hopefully someone here has it.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products

Hey Jason,

I'll also be upgrading my shocks at some stage... the 28 series are in a similar price bracket to some of the KW range so i was hoping you could provide some more detailed info. My understanding is that they do use the latest technology and that due ton their aluminium construction they should be quite a bit lighter than the KW's. Is the vavling such that they wouldn'y be too harsh on the street as is the benefit patrick is experiencing with his KW's?

What about the 30 series - I understand the technology may not be quite up to the 28's but they are a bit cheaper and still aluminium... what are the main benefits of the 28 v 30?

Can you give us a bit of detail on FSD... how it works and its benefits? when do you think it may be available for our applications and at what sort of price premium?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got MO30 yellow Koni's, too.
I've always liked them.
Was thinking about sending them out for that mod that makes them double adjustable.
Is that comparable to anything...good or bad?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I am very pleased with my 3 way adjustable from Moton - given how much they cost I should be ! Anything 944/968 OEM will feel obsolete and inefficient compared to these.
I cannot comment on the KW as I have not driven on them but they sound like they should not be far from the Moton performance-wise, for about half the price.
Don't even bother with M030 when a set of KW V3 can be had for just a little more money.

If looking for something more cost-effective I suggest the Bilstein B6. I rate them higher than M030 and they budget around the same as the now-popular Koni cartridges. They just require struts with threaded tops (à la 924 turbo). When the M474 on my S2 gets tired I will be fitting these.

All IMO & experience of course.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:16 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bilstein turbo cup.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:09 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i hate my koni yellows they ride tuff and cost 80% of purchase to be rebuilt my mates car rides better on bilteins with 50lbs more spring rate
tell me more about the Moton ones
Old 07-07-2007, 07:19 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The benefit of the KW comes mainly from the effort they put into the R&D of each kit for each car and the type of customer they feel will be most likely driving the car. The V3 kits are built to be used on the road with some trackday use so they make an excellent compromise for people using their car for both. It makes for a great out of the box product which is plug and play from one manufacturer with top quality stainless bodies which fare well on the salty roads here in the UK still looking brand new at two years old. Nothing that is unique on its own but a well put together package.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:14 PM
pepclan
Intermediate

Thanks for all the help guys I have learned alot. This car is going to be a money pit, but well worth it!!!
Old 07-07-2007, 06:35 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you work in the auto industry at all the Koni inserts are hard to beat. Koni gives jobber or wholesale prices to anyone that works in the auto industry. I got the yellow inserts for about $130-140 each. That makes them really hard to beat for the money.

I think they are good for a street car but the there are better options out there if cost is not an issue and ultimate performance is. This becomes increasingly true with higher rate springs.

Quick Reply: best shocks for 951?