Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need help please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:28 PM
IxvI
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please.

I've tried the search button but could'nt find my problem. My car was parked for the last 2 months and the battery went dead. I charged the batt up and when I tried to start her, she just cranks but does'nt start. I did notice that my idiot lights and gauges do not turn on. Could it be the dme relay, the ignition switch or something else thats going to give more grey hairs?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:31 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Go through the fuses first. There are alot of em. But it's the first and easiest thing to do.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:32 PM
IxvI
Track Day

I checked all the fuses and they are all ok.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:42 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Pull spark plug wire and see if there's spark.
If not. You can test the relays and see if they're getting power..etc
Check if ECU has power. etc. etc. etc. It's a long list.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is she running?
Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 PM
oldjammer
Instructor

doesn't seem like ignition switch......keep the battery well charged and if possible, take a look(and sniff) at your plugs..are they getting gas??
Old 07-04-2007, 10:41 PM
George Boss
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stupid as this may sound, I found that unless my battery was PERFECTLY charged, the engine wouldn't turn over. I think I go through a battery every 2 years due to this problem of leaving the car in the garage over the winter with a trickle charger on.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:04 PM
oldjammer
Instructor

yeah...what he said....
you guys are a little further north, but for optimum performance I TRY to maintain a "hot" battery for my:

1987 951
1972 Triumph Tiger(motorcycle)
1974 Wheel Horse(lawn tractor)
Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Did you clean the battery terminals or just charge it with them connected? It makes a huge difference if the car has been sitting.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:33 AM
George Boss
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldjammer
yeah...what he said....
you guys are a little further north, but for optimum performance I TRY to maintain a "hot" battery for my:

1987 951
1972 Triumph Tiger(motorcycle)
1974 Wheel Horse(lawn tractor)

How do you maintain your battery "hot"? Is it a matter of a battery blanket/charger? My 951 sits in a heated garage for the winter with the battery disconected, so it's not a matter of temp.

"From the months I've spent visiting Montreal, I can honestly tell you that there are really only 2 seasons here in Canada. Winter and July" - Mark Twain
Old 07-05-2007, 12:37 AM
George Boss
Instructor

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Did you clean the battery terminals or just charge it with them connected? It makes a huge difference if the car has been sitting.

Kuhl...the terminals never get a chance to get dirty/grimy, on account I have to change the fracking thing every 2 seasons or so. I always use a mild sandpaper to scrape away any accumalated crud at the end of the season, which is never really anything to speak of on account the battery is almost always new.

I read somewhere (I think it was Tech Notes from Excellence) that 951s need 13.5 amps (or was it volts?) to turn. Anything else, and the DME won't let it catch. Some sort of safety feature or something.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:53 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by George Boss
Kuhl...the terminals never get a chance to get dirty/grimy, on account I have to change the fracking thing every 2 seasons or so. I always use a mild sandpaper to scrape away any accumalated crud at the end of the season, which is never really anything to speak of on account the battery is almost always new.

I read somewhere (I think it was Tech Notes from Excellence) that 951s need 13.5 amps (or was it volts?) to turn. Anything else, and the DME won't let it catch. Some sort of safety feature or something.

A well tuned car will start with a voltage as low as 11.5V as long as the battery is still good. The starter probably draws more like 40-50 amps. The reason I mentioned the clean terminals is I've had too many no starts that looked very clean from the top. It doesn't take much oxidation to add excess resistance and prevent the car from starting. I live in a dry climate and have to clean the terminals twice a year because the 951 sits most of the time. I hope you find your problem.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:21 AM
IxvI
Track Day

I found the problem. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. The previous owner had installed a remote starter switch with the button being in the space under the stereo. It seems he left a real mess of wires under the dash and one of the wires was loose. A quick solder and I got power to all the gauges, feul pump and idiot lights. I turned the key and she fired right up. I think she was mad at me for not driving her for so long. Once again thanks for all your help.
nersan.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:57 AM
George Boss
Instructor

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
A well tuned car will start with a voltage as low as 11.5V as long as the battery is still good. The starter probably draws more like 40-50 amps. The reason I mentioned the clean terminals is I've had too many no starts that looked very clean from the top. It doesn't take much oxidation to add excess resistance and prevent the car from starting. I live in a dry climate and have to clean the terminals twice a year because the 951 sits most of the time. I hope you find your problem.

Thanks Kuhl
I'll try scraping the terminals from now on and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Need help please.