Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Case of the disappearing coolant...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:55 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the cometic require anything special be done to the head prior to installation? Or is it a direct fit like the OEM gasket? I don't mind spending the extra $ if it means not having to do this again any time soon.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:05 AM
tyro
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the Cometic, went back to WFRHG after an external oil leak.

I suspect if your head is true and the surfaces are smooth, you won't have issues.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:01 AM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thought. I have been running these cars for years at the track. I have noticed that when you run them very hard the natural coolant level in the makeup tank, ends up below the minimum mark. The excess coolant is pushed out of the overflow. The natural level is about 1/8"-1/4" below the seam in the tank. If you try and maintain the level at the maximum, you'll keep adding coolant, and it will always find its way back down.

Once the level gets where it wants to be, the level remains constant.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:17 AM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Another test I've heard with the pressure tester is to hook it up on cold motor, but do not pump it, start the car and see if the cooling system builds pressure quickly or if the needle bounces all around. If it does, that's a blown headgskt.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:26 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by samluke
One thought. I have been running these cars for years at the track. I have noticed that when you run them very hard the natural coolant level in the makeup tank, ends up below the minimum mark. The excess coolant is pushed out of the overflow. The natural level is about 1/8"-1/4" below the seam in the tank. If you try and maintain the level at the maximum, you'll keep adding coolant, and it will always find its way back down.

Once the level gets where it wants to be, the level remains constant.

I believe you are right. I rarely ever check my coolant level, but cold I do believe it is below the min mark. Never an issue for me so I don't check it too often.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:29 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
I tested my old cap and it didn't hold pressure....at all. I did replace it with a brand new Behr cap and the coolant issues didn't go away. I love simple solutions, unfortunately this one didn't work...thanks though!

The tank can also be warped too. I have had couple tanks that warped. The test is to pull the tank out and put some water in it. Turn it over and nothing should leak from cap or overflow. If it leaks and the cap is new the tank is bad. You can't pressure test this because where it leaks is the overflow the most pressure testing caps don't allow for this.

When the tanks warped the car would puke coolant out over the overflow being even relativly cool.

Quick Reply: Case of the disappearing coolant...