Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My 1/4 mile runs...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your trap speeds are quite low, should be 102-103 with a stock wastegate (no shims and GURU chips) I was running 13.9's @ 102-103
Old 06-28-2007, 12:47 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

your reaction time got worse on the second run...

could have to do w/ sea level as far as trap speeds.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Loquat15
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IT was quite windy actually... wind was pushing against the cars... would that create a difference?

So the sea level thing is... the air is more dense here than up in kansas so the air would create more resistance on the car? lol... dont think that being at sea level would make me run slower.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:46 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Turbo cars run better the denser, cooler the air.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:16 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

your reaction time is how long it takes you to start moving after the light turns green. Your first one was .59 seconds- pretty good- second was like what .8 seconds? ALittle slower- just saying- with a .5 RT you would have a little better overall time.

Im not sure where you were at but i know being up higher or down closer to sea level, your car will perform differently. That is why there is a switch on the dme to adjust for where the car was sold. My turbo runs much better as well on a nice cool day, as opposed to a sticky hot summer afternoon.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:35 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by xsboost90
your reaction time is how long it takes you to start moving after the light turns green. Your first one was .59 seconds- pretty good- second was like what .8 seconds? ALittle slower- just saying- with a .5 RT you would have a little better overall time.

Im not sure where you were at but i know being up higher or down closer to sea level, your car will perform differently. That is why there is a switch on the dme to adjust for where the car was sold. My turbo runs much better as well on a nice cool day, as opposed to a sticky hot summer afternoon.

The reaction times don't make a difference on most test and tune 1/4 mile (Open registration) night. They only count that in the time when in Actual competition. This has allowed me to Sit for 2-3 seconds after the other guy has left and I can then bounce off the stepped limiter and build boost off the line and get a potentially better boosted run. I've never seen that 2-3 seconds calculated in to my 1/4 times. The clock typically doesn't start until after your REAR wheels have broken the beam. (Which is why you can start on the last yellow light (Sportsmant style tree) and not get a red light. Because your REAR tires haven't crossed the beam before the green. - A trick most newbies aren't aware of.

As far as 60' goes, a good street tire time is from 1.7-2.0 More than that, you're slipping too much, bogging, rears set too stiff, whatever. (Non R compound) - Most larger tracks tun VHT on the track the gives MUCH better grip than on the regular street. - So even street tires get a little better traction.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Loquat15
Racer

I know there was quite a few people at the drags with stepped limiters...

where the heck can i get one!?!?!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Loquat15
Racer

I didn't spin my tires at the take off, i barked them a little in 2nd...

Hmm, where can i find a 2 step limiter??? :-)
Old 06-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Ben Keep your eye on the damn light. Go practice at a stoplight, trancas would be good. On your video you have a loud pop into forth or fifth but no visable flame, how rich are you running now?

I did a mt veeder to oakville grade run today, it was great and I got a little crazy. These cars have some great grip. That straight part of oakville grade to hwy 29 is a good place to open it up a bit.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Loquat15
Racer

You should take your car out to the race track keith and see how you do, at least after you get back on up to the appropriate boost...
Old 06-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Ok, but first let me borrow your klr.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:19 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
The clock typically doesn't start until after your REAR wheels have broken the beam. (Which is why you can start on the last yellow light (Sportsmant style tree) and not get a red light. Because your REAR tires haven't crossed the beam before the green. - A trick most newbies aren't aware of.
I have to clear something up here.
I think you need to check your source on the REAR tires affecting any part of the beam.

The fronts do all the triggering. Yes, there is a lot to staging process, shallow, deep staging, and much more.

For the guys that are going out to the track, I highly recommend checking out some of the drag racing sites before you go. Then do a trial run before the big day. You're in for some surprises....
The biggest one is track prep. Ever try launching on glue?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:15 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by DanD
I have to clear something up here.
I think you need to check your source on the REAR tires affecting any part of the beam.

The fronts do all the triggering. Yes, there is a lot to staging process, shallow, deep staging, and much more.

For the guys that are going out to the track, I highly recommend checking out some of the drag racing sites before you go. Then do a trial run before the big day. You're in for some surprises....
The biggest one is track prep. Ever try launching on glue?
I'm sure. The rears.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Loquat15
You should take your car out to the race track keith and see how you do, at least after you get back on up to the appropriate boost...

I got a package from lindsey today, let me know when you want to wrench.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure. The rears.
Someone is leading you astray.
What would happen if a short wheel base car ran against a long wheelbase car. The long wheelbase car would be moving faster when the rear tires passed the starting line. The 1/2 second delay is our time to react, the drivetrain taking up slop, the suspension raising in the front and planting in the rear.

Here are a few sites that talk about the starting line procedure. Notice that none of them refer the rear tires. The timer is triggered when the front tires leave the starting beam.

To keep from having to read all these do a search on "Front" and you'll see what I mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_racing

http://www.nhra.com/basics/basics.html

http://www.hoosiertire.com/dragman.htm

http://www.chevelles.com/racing/tip2.html

I just don't want to pass bad information on to other readers.
If I'm wrong please show me something so everyone can know the truth.

Quick Reply: My 1/4 mile runs...