Originally Posted by nize
despite all that, here is all of the information i have released;

garrett dbb center section
50 trim cold side
#10 hot side
stock bolt-on fit

Quite vague...

despite all of my independent research, i'd be more than happy to switch to a different turbo if it can be proven that would be a better choice. unlike you, i'm not a blind slave to a single make/model/vendor.

You don't sound satisfied with what you have now.

I was considering an upgrade, but since its my daily driver, I think I'll just stick with my old, reliable, out-of-the-box Vitesse setup. It's simple, goes fast, and doesn't need all that fancy datalogging stuff.
the garrett dbb turbo doesn't need fancy datalogging stuff, in fact it's direct plug and play and works with just a $200 chip upgrade.

if you think the info i provided is vague, how about you be vague and provide the same information about your turbo? not too vague now, is it?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Back to the original question. I have a K26/8 on my black car and have to admit it runs great with the only mods being a shimmed WG, Accuboost, 3.0 bar FPR, and a great Vitesse 26/8 AFM chip. I can hold 16 psi almost to redline AF stays good, above 5900 AF stays good but boost drops to about 14. I have driven quite a few modded 26/6's and the difference is dramatic. If you are looking for a clean bolt-up and can find one cheap 26/8 it's a cheap upgrade. It can't compete with a 27/6 or 8 but it still feels good to me.

I refuse to argue how many angels can fit on the head of a pin and am still waiting to finish the other car that will have the same Garrett as Nize but in a #8. The car will be faster than I am and that's all that matters to me.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[I]

the garrett dbb turbo doesn't need fancy datalogging stuff, in fact it's direct plug and play and works with just a $200 chip upgrade.

if you think the info i provided is vague, how about you be vague and provide the same information about your turbo? not too vague now, is it?

Honestly, I'd rather not become that intimate with my turbo...as it more than exceeded my expectations right from the box, many years ago...and still does. I'll leave that stuff to the professionals.

Yes, it is vague...and your pleasant disposition has encouraged me to invest my money elsewhere. Thanks for the heads-up.

Troll on...
Old 07-17-2008, 02:23 AM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Got Me a Porsha
[/I]

Honestly, I'd rather not become that intimate with my turbo...as it more than exceeded my expectations right from the box, many years ago...and still does. I'll leave that stuff to the professionals.

Yes, it is vague...and your pleasant disposition has encouraged me to invest my money elsewhere. Thanks for the heads-up.

Troll on...
so basically what you're saying is you don't know wtf you are talking about. glad we cleared that up. thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:23 AM
95ONE
Race Car

You guys.....
Maybe I can shed some light when I dyno and IF I don't blow it up.
Datta logging will be at hand.
Should only have to wait a week at most.

- I would only change to the 26/7 if it came cheap. Seems like most anyone who has done it cant wait to get the next larger one.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:31 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are killing me. A turbo swap is a pain in the *** the first time you do it unless the motor is out. A stock 26/8 car is a good improvement over a stock 26/6, but a properly modified 26/6 car will be faster than a "chipped" 26/8 car as originally asked. The correct chip/FPR/injectors/wastegate, and airflow including MAF all come into play. If you don't mind the time to swap the turbo and do the supporting mods (at the very least a proper chip, FPR, and injectors), you should like the results. There's plenty of money to be spent later, it just depends on the pace at which you're comfortable increasing power, and your budget.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:34 AM
jf951
Instructor

love my 27/8
Old 07-17-2008, 09:48 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

So you guys with the 27/8s... how is your spool time compared to a 26/8?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Zuba951
Rennlist Member

Anyone know what the Trim is on a 26 and 27 ?
Old 07-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

I beliveve the K26 is close to a T04E-40
Old 07-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

when you actually have anything to contribute to the 951 community instead of voodoo pixiedust hype with zero technical information, data, nor facts, perhaps people will take your comments seriously.

until then, have fun mud slinging and paying and talking out of your ***.
That's it, you roll over like that? So basically you won't be answering any of the questions in my post and this is the best you can come up with? Peter, you accuse others of smoke and mirrors yet you put out plenty of them out there yourself. For example you tout your super turbo as making 323 & 334 @ 17 psi as the greatest numbers on earth however, it was 50 degrees that day with a .94 correction factor so your turbo actually put our 303 and 313 RWHP without the AFM in place when use the industry standard SAE correction factor (which also represents 99% of the charts posted here). Since your looking for a true apples to apples comparison why don;t you try giving one? Now that we have info, we can compare it against the Lindsey 26/8 dyno your dual BB turbo which spools up about 200 rpm's later isn't that impressive against a 26/8 now is it? Not for the money you've invested in your turbo. http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...gory_Code=DYNO

Now once you take your numbers with the factory AFM & snorkel connected and correct base on the .94 (again based on your dyno numbers) it looks like 253 RWHP & 282 RWTQ. Hmmmmm, about what every other K26/8 running a chip through the factory AFM gets. Sure sounds like your turbo is a great deal to me Peter. So what were your before and after 26/8 vs your superman turbo gains? We already know it spools a bit later, but faster. What were the actual HP gains on the same dyno?

I think we've determined that you don't know what your talking about Peter. But let's clarify a few things here that you "conveniently" avoided throughout this discussion......

So are you saying that it's not possible, because I don't have or need a EMS data log of boost & RPM, that my Vitesse stage 2 turbo can not make 15psi by 2950, and have a larger compressor wheel then your turbo which is VERY similar to the old Vitessse stage 1?

Is it likely that all the Vitesse customers are lying about their turbo's to keep BB turbos down?

Is it possible that you were grossly mistaken when you assessed the mystery Vitesse K27 Stage two kit that was never produced? (go ahead we all know that he really didn't exists but you can save some face here)

Am I wrong in saying that you're using a #10 turbine housing with a stage 2 wheel? (assuming you know)

Am I correct in saying that you've stated "full disclosure or pointless to debate further" however you refuse to provide the specs yourself?

It's okay Peter.......we all know the answers to these already and it sounds like you're the one talking out of your *** here.

Last edited by Jeremy Himsel; 07-17-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:28 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

That's it, I'll be checking Jeremy's back for tattoos next time I'm down.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
That's it, you roll over like that? So basically you won't be answering any of the questions in my post and this is the best you can come up with? Peter, you accuse others of smoke and mirrors yet you put out plenty of them out there yourself. For example you tout your super turbo as making 323 & 334 @ 17 psi as the greatest numbers on earth however, it was 50 degrees that day with a .94 correction factor so your turbo actually put our 303 and 313 RWHP without the AFM in place when use the industry standard SAE correction factor (which also represents 99% of the charts posted here). Since your looking for a true apples to apples comparison why don;t you try giving one? Now that we have info, we can compare it against the Lindsey 26/8 dyno your dual BB turbo which spools up about 200 rpm's later isn't that impressive against a 26/8 now is it? Not for the money you've invested in your turbo. http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...gory_Code=DYNO

Now once you take your numbers with the factory AFM & snorkel connected and correct base on the .94 (again based on your dyno numbers) it looks like 253 RWHP & 282 RWTQ. Hmmmmm, about what every other K26/8 running a chip through the factory AFM gets. Sure sounds like your turbo is a great deal to me Peter. So what were your before and after 26/8 vs your superman turbo gains? We already know it spools a bit later, but faster. What were the actual HP gains on the same dyno?

I think we've determined that you don't know what your talking about Peter. But let's clarify a few things here that you "conveniently" avoided throughout this discussion......

So are you saying that it's not possible, because I don't have or need a EMS data log of boost & RPM, that my Vitesse stage 2 turbo can not make 15psi by 2950, and have a larger compressor wheel then your turbo which is VERY similar to the old Vitessse stage 1?

Is it likely that all the Vitesse customers are lying about their turbo's to keep BB turbos down?

Is it possible that you were grossly mistaken when you assessed the mystery Vitesse K27 Stage two kit that was never produced? (go ahead we all know that he really didn't exists but you can save some face here)

Am I wrong in saying that you're using a #10 turbine housing with a stage 2 wheel? (assuming you know)

Am I correct in saying that you've stated "full disclosure or pointless to debate further" however you refuse to provide the specs yourself?

It's okay Peter.......we all know the answers to these already and it sounds like you're the one talking out of your *** here.
okay let's have a fair question and answer session, shall we? this should be fun. you ask questions, i'll answer. i ask the same questions, you'll answer. sounds fair?

i will be more than happy to answer all of your questions as long as you can answer the same questions yourself. let's start with your first questions and my first answers;

garrett dbb center section
50 trim cold side
#10 hot side
stock bolt-on fit

your turn to answer if you really want to continue further.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

FYI, I run a Garrett GT2876R(BB) and compressor trim is 48 while turbine trim is 76. Last dyno run averaged 291 rwhp @ 1.2 BAR (18psi). Plenty of torque too. Spools up nice and quick and I can pull hard to 6,200 or so before it flattens. It's chipped and on a MAF system. Simple, no computers and it pulls nice and strong. I don't have to spend a lot of time tinkering and I don't need an engineering degree! Though, I would love to dump a bunch more dough into the motor and make 400+...
Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

BTW, Note that I have not adjusted the boost controller since adding the Fabspeed 3" exhaust system, which added the .2 BAR to the original setting, which generated 1.0 BAR pre-exhaust intallation. I tweaked the high boost *** a smidge the other day and it peaked at 1.4 BAR (20psi+) and it pulled like a mule. Freaked me out a bit actually. Anyone think a 2.5 motor can take that much boost during a 45 minute run group on the track?? Feels like I could, maybe, dial it up to just under the 1.4 BAR....and pray? Or, be happy?

Quick Reply: Is the k26/8 swap worth it?