Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is the k26/8 swap worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:51 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nize, why is there a comparisson to a Vitesse Stage II to your car? Not to be brazen, but you're showing us data logging from your setup that is a fully stand-alone system. You aren't showing us a apples to apples in any way. What other mods do you have? You have a completely different setup than a Vitesse S2, and you're comparing turbos that are vastly different. Touting the difference between thrust bearings and ball bearings when talking about a 50trim compressor on a #10 hotside versus a K27/? on cars with different controls systems, different modifications, and different tuning isn't a valid comparisson.

Out of curiousity, however, where was that data log stored? What were the driving conditions?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:05 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03
Nize, why is there a comparisson to a Vitesse Stage II to your car? Not to be brazen, but you're showing us data logging from your setup that is a fully stand-alone system. You aren't showing us a apples to apples in any way. What other mods do you have? You have a completely different setup than a Vitesse S2, and you're comparing turbos that are vastly different. Touting the difference between thrust bearings and ball bearings when talking about a 50trim compressor on a #10 hotside versus a K27/? on cars with different controls systems, different modifications, and different tuning isn't a valid comparisson.

Out of curiousity, however, where was that data log stored? What were the driving conditions?
i actually had the stand-alone before i got the garrett 50/10, so i do have an apples-to-apples comparison between that and the stock k26/8 on the same car, with the same mods. since the stock k26/8 has already been compared with k26/6, k27/6, and k27/8, we can deduce where the 50/10 fits in.

read the turbo review in my sig for full disclosure.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nize
jeremy; i'm not saying you're full of ****. i do know from experience that what appears to be 15psi on the boost gauge at 3k rpm (for example), can easily turn out to be 15psi at 3200rpm in reality. engine variables are changing so quickly that in-cockpit/butt-dyno analysis is really just speculation at best..
Well that's exactly I mentioned that this is what I get from My AVC-R boost controller. 15 psi @ 2950. It is also dead nuts with the RPM log that I get from my SMT-6 so I'm prety confident that my car makes the boost it says it does. So your assumption of my in-cockpit/butt-dyno analysis is speculation at best.

over this weekend, i met up with another rennlister who had the full vitesse stage2 setup (maf, turbo, piggyback tuning, etc.) which i understand is a k27 and we did a side-by-side comparison. the garrett dbb #10 not only spools faster but also pulls harder to redline. when he got in my car for a butt-dyno he was shocked at how big the difference was.
I'm not sure what the hell your talking about here. The Vitesse stage 2 is not a K27 and flows more lb/min then your "50 trim" compressor wheel. I'm not sure who told you that one.

Your turbo is actually closer to the old Vitesse stage 1 Turbo (except for the BB).

I've heard all the stories about the holy grail GT series turbos, T3 this, Super that, blah, blah, blah. I've been in plenty of 951's over the last ten years (GT25, GT30) and I've yet to come across a 951 builds boost as quickly as mine does and can support over 400WHP. Period. Anyone who doubts it is welcome to take it for a spin and talk **** later.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
I've been in plenty of 951's over the last ten years (GT25, GT30) and I've yet to come across a 951 builds boost as quickly as mine does and can support over 400WHP. Period. Anyone who doubts it is welcome to take it for a spin and talk **** later.
what are the specs for your turbo? got dynos?

i'm curious because i have plans to get over 400whp/wtq soon.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

what are the specs for your turbo? got dynos?

i'm curious because i have plans to get over 400whp/wtq soon.
I do know the full specs for that turbo but I really don't want to release turbo specifics, as i'd like to protect John's research and effort, but if you ask Vitesse, he can hook you up with the identical turbo that i have.

I have had it on a dyno and I saw 330 SAE corrected RWHP @ 16ish PSI. Have the printout at home somewhere. Not really a dyno queen myself and prefer to do a comparison with the cars moving.

You stated that you met up with a rennlister over this weekend and did a side by side comparison of your dual BB 2.7 darton sleeved turbo motor against his K27 Vitesse stage 2 and that is emperical evidence? I'll bet he was surprised. Does he have a name????? Come on, who are you kidding here......
Old 07-15-2008, 06:31 PM
nize
Banned

full disclosure or pointless to debate further. thanks.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

full disclosure or pointless to debate further. thanks.

Funny because my statement was copied from your comments on a thread that you started. In case you need someone to refresh your memory.....

i really don't want to release turbine specifics, as i'd like to protect vic's research and effort, but if you ask pauer tuning, he can hook you up with the identical turbo that i have.

when i was going through my turbo options, pauer did give me full disclosure of specs. i just don't feel i need to post them here is all, because what i've posted is already way more information than what's available from any other vendor minus lindsey.

when you're ready to buy, give pauer a call and you'll see he'll tell you everything.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=352032&page=2

What's good for the goose right?

What I will say is that you've questioned everyone elses turbo as if yours is the only solution, provided a few data logs, an uncorrected dyno chart, and now a mystery guest vitesse stage 2 (K27 stage two none the less) comparison and you call that emperical evidence that yours is better? Did you mention to the mystery vitesse stage two K27 variant owner that you had a 2.7L?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back to the original question: BTDT, and my answer is YES. When I bought my '86, it had the original K26-6 with a 38 mm TiAl wastegate and Bursch test pipe. It was a quick-spooling, torquey car, but the turbo ran out of breath at 5,000 rpm. I had the K26-8 (freshly rebuilt) left over from my '89, so I bolted it on and swapped the Guru K26-6 chips for the Guru K26-8 chips.

It was a great improvement. With the wastegate and test pipe, the spool was almost identical (15 psi by 3,000 rpm), but the turbo doesn't start to run out of breath until over 5,500 rpm, and will hold 13 psi at 6,000 rpm. Equal torque and response, +40 hp. Just as good at autocross, huge improvement on the track at DE days. I get many comments on how strong and fast my car is. I know it will now consistently pull on a 400 hp C6 Corvette down the main straight at Thunderhill.

If I was starting from scratch, I would probably go K27-8 plus MAF and injectors, but if you have a good K26-8 available, like I did, I say go for it!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:41 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Funny because my statement was copied from your comments on a thread that you started. In case you need someone to refresh your memory.....

i really don't want to release turbine specifics, as i'd like to protect vic's research and effort, but if you ask pauer tuning, he can hook you up with the identical turbo that i have.

when i was going through my turbo options, pauer did give me full disclosure of specs. i just don't feel i need to post them here is all, because what i've posted is already way more information than what's available from any other vendor minus lindsey.

when you're ready to buy, give pauer a call and you'll see he'll tell you everything.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=352032&page=2

What's good for the goose right?

What I will say is that you've questioned everyone elses turbo as if yours is the only solution, provided a few data logs, an uncorrected dyno chart, and now a mystery guest vitesse stage 2 (K27 stage two none the less) comparison and you call that emperical evidence that yours is better? Did you mention to the mystery vitesse stage two K27 variant owner that you had a 2.7L?
despite all that, here is all of the information i have released;

garrett dbb center section
50 trim cold side
#10 hot side
stock bolt-on fit

can you provide the same basic information about your turbo? no? i didn't think so. why are you even posting here if you don't want to share information with your fellow 951 enthusiasts?

i've also released a side-by-side comparison between this turbo and the stock k26/8 on the same car with the same mods, and enough data logs, dyno, spool characteristics, etc. etc. to satisfy any comparison shopper. have you? no? again, i didn't think so.

and yes, the vitesse stage2 guy knew full well what all of my mods were. it turns out he had actually been following my car's history for a while.

despite all of my independent research, i'd be more than happy to switch to a different turbo if it can be proven that would be a better choice. unlike you, i'm not a blind slave to a single make/model/vendor.

let me know when you're actually ready for full disclosure and independent testing with empirical data instead of talking out the side of your *** while experiencing buyer's remorse.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:44 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

*thinks he just got brushed with a piece of human feces being thrown in a horribly disgusting, though thankfully metaphorical, internet crossfire*
Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

I like turtles.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:50 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

stop speculating and post up some real data.

over this weekend, i met up with another rennlister who had the full vitesse stage2 setup (maf, turbo, piggyback tuning, etc.) which i understand is a k27
wow, after owning a car with a K27 and a car with a VR stage II at the same time (see avatar), i never realised the two turbos were the same. fooled me completely.

jeremy your sig is bang on, as always.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

can you provide the same basic information about your turbo? no? i didn't think so. .
Actually I CAN. I know every aspect of the turbo I have. EVERY SINGLE ONE. I also know every aspect of my stage 5 as well. Pretty familiar with the specs of the others. Will I release the information on this board......Never. Why you ask, first I made a gentlemen's agreement with a vendor when I purchased the items and my word and integrity are more important to me then impressing you. Second, over 4 years ago someone who had less of an ethical foundation then I do asked me to measure my stage two and give him the information so WE could sell them at a cheaper price. Needless to say there have been other "original ideas" that have the same foundation and I choose not to practice in such a sleazy practice.

You posted the exact same stuff that's advertized on your resellers web site. Like you, I'll release exactly what my reseller does. You accuse me of being a blind slave but I know what story you bought into and the truth behind the "extensive" experience. It cracks me up and if you knew what I did you would feel like a fool. Answer one questions for me, while I can't be for sure, does your hot side picture have the PN for a #10 housing machined for a stage 2 wheel? Is this correct?

i've also released a side-by-side comparison between this turbo and the stock k26/8 on the same car with the same mods, and enough data logs, dyno, spool characteristics, etc. etc. to satisfy any comparison shopper. have you? no? again, I didn't think so. .
In post 104 I gave your turbo builder a chance to do some real world testing of his BB turbo against a Vitesse stage 2. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=334093&page=7 All he had to do was put up a few of his turbos......No takers of course. You however, in relative obscurity can post a few data logs to tell everyone else they're wrong and I however would love to see some real side by side comparisons of the was a car actually performs on the street or track. Not that my motor is being pulled for my 3.0L replacement I'm sure that I'll finally get someone to take me up on that offer. I however still stand by my statement that I'm not convinced that dual BB turbos are the holy grail and your "solution" only shows a slight improvement over a 26/8 which is what this thread is about for several thousand dollars more. Lindsey had a few 26/8 dyno charts run with a Max chip that are SAE CORRECTED, and show 305/345 @16 psi. Based on that information and your own Data logs, is your BB turbo upgrade / standalone really that much better then a 26/8? Does "'specialty old style journal bearing turbos are outdated, overpriced, slow, and just not worth it any more" really hold water considering all the the labor and supporting mods you have that are needed to make your turbo work?

and yes, the vitesse stage2 guy knew full well what all of my mods were. it turns out he had actually been following my car's history for a while.
Still sticking to that story? The mysterious K27 vitesse stage two guy? Did he get that turbo from the bean stalk guy or is it possible you were mistaken and it wasn't a Vitesse stage 2? To top it off you waited until this thread to "share" that story and made no mention of it anywhere else when we ALL know you you salivate at the chance to indicate how much better your turbo is then anything Vitesse sells? Come on man.......We know better. Do you ever wonder why John shares information with some and not others? Specifically why he doesn't share it with you?

despite all of my independent research, i'd be more than happy to switch to a different turbo if it can be proven that would be a better choice. unlike you, i'm not a blind slave to a single make/model/vendor.
let me know when you're actually ready for full disclosure and independent testing with empirical data instead of talking out the side of your *** while experiencing buyer's remorse.
What are you 12 or the pseudo consumer reports to go with the pseudo tuner? Funny I said the same thing in the thread above but no one ever stepped to the plate for testing to prove to me why I should switch. As far as I'm concerned your testing proves to me that there is no reason for me to switch from my outdated old style overpriced and slow journal bearing turbo since spool is essentially same and I have a bigger compressor wheel. Reality is, I see every one of the wanna be's gunning to beat Vitesse and your empirical data tells me nothing really exciting. Blind slave and buyers remorse? Are you stupid now or upset because you tried to talk BS about the mysterious Stage 2 K27 comparison and got called on it? If there are so many of us that are blind slaves or have buyer's remorse then tell me what do we keep specs secret? Why do we recommend these products to others? Why do we come back again for repeat business? Oh wait, your more technical then the rest of us right? Your so much more experienced then me huh? If these new turbos are so great and these new vendors are here for the greater good of the 951 community then how come the market isn't flooded with these turbos? Maybe some of us can just see through the BS and self generated hype.

Troll on Nize....as usual.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 PM
nize
Banned

when you actually have anything to contribute to the 951 community instead of voodoo pixiedust hype with zero technical information, data, nor facts, perhaps people will take your comments seriously.

until then, have fun mud slinging and paying and talking out of your ***.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

[QUOTE=nize;5611651]despite all that, here is all of the information i have released;

garrett dbb center section
50 trim cold side
#10 hot side
stock bolt-on fit

Quite vague...

You don't sound satisfied with what you have now.

I was considering an upgrade, but since its my daily driver, I think I'll just stick with my old, reliable, out-of-the-box Vitesse setup. It's simple, goes fast, and doesn't need all that fancy datalogging stuff.

Quick Reply: Is the k26/8 swap worth it?