Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:23 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get a rebuilt compressor on ebay for ~$200, a advised a local friend of mine to buy one from there, he did, his ac is ice cold.

The R12 system will always give you cooler air than the R134a, but i don't know how hard it is ti find R12 in the US, or of it costs more. To convert the system to R134a, you definately need a new compressor for R134a system.

When replacing an ac compressor or expansion valve, or any kind of major ac component (evaporator/condensor), a system flush is highly recommended, as well as a new ac reciever/drier (they go for ~$30).

I advise for a rebuilt compressor, new expansion valve as well as a new reciever/drier. There are two ways to remove the expansion valve, without removing the dash. One way is to remove the blower assembley, then the expansion valve is right infront of you on the passenger side. The other way is to remove the glove box, lay on you're back and look up.

If you keep teh R12 system, make sure that the filling capacity if 950 grams of freon, and that the high pressure size should not exceed 300psi, while the oil should be 80cm cubed +/-20.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:47 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mechanics always give you the worst case scenario, that's how they make their money, they don't believe in sealers or JB Weld (stuff that actually works) cause they want to get as much out of you as possible. I took my car to a Porsche shop and he said to change the Rennbay fuel hoses to the stock ones, that he would do it for $900, he is crazy, good thing educated consumers know better....
Old 06-20-2007, 07:27 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRACKIN951
Not to steal the thread but what does it cost to convert and charge the system to R134a on a r12 system?
Thanks
Dustin
40 bux- a/c kit from autozone or o'reilys. We vacced mine down and charged the system w/ oil/134a mix and it works awsome. Check to see if your compressor is really locked up or if its just not getting 12v to the clutch when the a/c is engaged. If it is, replace compressor, charge w/ 134a oil mix and run with it.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
Mechanics always give you the worst case scenario, that's how they make their money, they don't believe in sealers or JB Weld (stuff that actually works) cause they want to get as much out of you as possible. I took my car to a Porsche shop and he said to change the Rennbay fuel hoses to the stock ones, that he would do it for $900, he is crazy, good thing educated consumers know better....
Proper mechanics will never perform or invoice work that they cannot honor the quality of.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:48 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
40 bux- a/c kit from autozone or o'reilys. We vacced mine down and charged the system w/ oil/134a mix and it works awsome. Check to see if your compressor is really locked up or if its just not getting 12v to the clutch when the a/c is engaged. If it is, replace compressor, charge w/ 134a oil mix and run with it.
I also used the $35 cheap conversion kit 3 years ago. I had to do one recharge since but it's amazingly still blowing cold. I know this is very bad but I needed to give myself a reason to remove the A/C compressor in order to relocate my alternator. I'm midly disappointed it hasn't blown up yet as I didn't properly flush the old r-12. I also didn't measure the amount of r-134 nor the amount of oil going in. I just connected it to the low pressure line and gave the car what it thirsted for. When I recharged it last year I simpy bought another small can of r134 and ran it until the can emptied. I have to say it's one heck of a durable system. I have since decided to source a smaller alternator rather then waiting for the a/c to break.

Quick Reply: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off?