Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Speed sensor and bracket stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:15 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Speed sensor and bracket stuck

Well , the speed sensor is really stuck in there . How do I get i out?
I`v e tried wiggling it a lot without it moving, the sensor is in so bad shape that I can feel it would probably break if using more force to wiggle it.

I tried spraying it with 5-56 and silicone but no help there, could I acces it from inside the bell housing .?

Last edited by blodstrupmoen; 06-21-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:18 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Sorry, no access or advantage from inside the bellhousing. Most people that run into that problem just soak it overnight in Kroil or PB Blaster and try to get it to free up by twisting. If you can get it to twist some it takes a pattern of pulling/twisting/pushing until all the corrosion is loose enough to pull it all the way out. When that doesn't work most just break it off and hope that the tube doesn't get stuck in the sensor bracket. If you are doing a clutch job be sure and cut out the sensor openings on the bellhousing so you never have to go through that again. Another wonderful design from our friends in Stuttgart.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The outer casing of the sensor gets corroded with the aluminum of the housing and can sometimes become just down right stuck. As Steve said, soak it, twist it. If it won't come out in 24 hours, more than likely the bracket will have to come off too, you'll probably end up drilling out the bore of it. If you break it and pull it out, cover the hole in the top of the bell housing because you'll pull all the copper winding out of the sensor. Don't forget to put a .8mm washer on the bottom of a sensor or get Sharky's new depth tool for setting your sensor when you go back to mount the bracket (if needed) good luck, they can be a PITA at this point
Old 06-20-2007, 12:52 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Thanks for the tips..

I had the thing soaked with PB allready and it didn`t work , I just snapped half of the sensor of ( the part that has the wire attached) and it still wont move at all. Luckely the sharky tool just arrived , so pulling the bracket it is then.

Since I wrote this thread I allready has taken down the tranny, all exhaust w/crossover , transaxel and the whole rear end suspension ..

Think I`ll just do the clutch and some bushings aswell.. I got to wait a couple of days for a new sensor anyway.

If you are doing a clutch job be sure and cut out the sensor openings on the bellhousing so you never have to go through that again
Do you mean bigger holes for the sensor? wouldn`t that make it difficult to set it correct ?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:03 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blodstrupmoen
...Do you mean bigger holes for the sensor? wouldn`t that make it difficult to set it correct ?
No. You cut the area with the sensor openings on the actual bellhousing from the rear sensor hole completely forward through the flange where the bellhousing meets the block. That way, future bellhousing removal can be done without even touching the sensors or the bracket. Structurally it has no effect on anything.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:12 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
No. You cut the area with the sensor openings on tghe actual bellhousing from the rear sensor hole completely forward through the flange where the bellhousing meets the block. That way, future bellhousing removal can be done without even touching the sensors or the bracket. Structurally it has no effect on anything.

Gotya

Old 06-20-2007, 10:53 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do yourself a favor and dont cut the bell housing. you may get away with it but you could end up with a situation I faced a few years ago where a 944 would not start. It cranked like an old chevy with way too much ignition timing. I finally ended up putting an oscilloscope on the speed sensor and the signal to the motronic unit was totally covered up with electronic noise. The computer was firing the ignition all over the place. The bell housing had been cut previously and I guess the removed material had acted as a shield for the sensor.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like the shield on the sensor was damaged, that hole around the sensor will afford little EMI shielding.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

there really isnt much to try, i went through this a while ago and the top of the sensor ended up snapping off and i figured i was reall screwed. Then i ended up unbolting the bracket that holds them and prying it away from the block enough to clear the guide pin and pulled it out. Then even the new sensor fit very tight on the test fit so i had to take the bracket from my parts car to save me from ever having to go through this again.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:50 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MHT
do yourself a favor and dont cut the bell housing. you may get away with it but you could end up with a situation I faced a few years ago where a 944 would not start. It cranked like an old chevy with way too much ignition timing. I finally ended up putting an oscilloscope on the speed sensor and the signal to the motronic unit was totally covered up with electronic noise. The computer was firing the ignition all over the place. The bell housing had been cut previously and I guess the removed material had acted as a shield for the sensor.
Never heard of that before. This mod has been done by countless other people also with no issues other than easier bellhousing removal. I think the lack of additional shielding isn't a factor. The same sensor on some older BMW's is out in the open right near the alternator; if that doesn't cause issues nothing will. The metal case on the sensor is the shield for the windings and well grounded to the block.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:32 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Ok a little garage time today again.. tried to remove the bracket with sensor still in , but of course there is a guide on the bracket..
So is the only way to drill the sensor out where is at ?

Or i could just cut the guide ..
Old 06-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Break the bracket off and get another one from the junk yards.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Originally Posted by beab951
Break the bracket off and get another one from the junk yards.
Sorry could not find a new "used" bracket anyway near me..

Anyone know if it is possible to get the bracket out with the speed sensor still in? The guide seems to be stuck making it impossible to get the bracket to clear, dont have the proper tool to drill out the sensor where it is either
Old 06-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

stick a prybar between the engine and the bracket and pry it out enough to pull it out. youll eventually bend or break the sensor and it will come out

Quick Reply: Speed sensor and bracket stuck