Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How much tounge weight with 951 on Uhaul auto transport?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackwater
I respectifully disagree with anders44. I just googled the subject and all sources recommended 10 to 15% of the towed weight. I know that your orginal question related to calculating the tongue weight but the only way is with scales with the hitch at the aproximated towing height.
I think you're both kind of right...a trailer will tow most effectively when the tongue weight is 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight. That is documented in many places and I can say that I've validated that fact after more than 10K miles in towing in the last 3 years with my enclosed race hauler.

However, there are limits on allowable tongue weight for vehicles and it even varies in different parts of the world as Anders pointed out. In some cases, you're towing capacity will be limited by your tongue weight. It is not safe to exceed reasonable tongue weights for your respective vehicle.

Don't make the mistake of loading your trailer such that you have too little tongue weight relative to your overall weight...your trailer will sway around and may become dangerous.

Happy towing!!!

Rick

Quick Reply: How much tounge weight with 951 on Uhaul auto transport?