Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

vented nose panel, good source, fair prices?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:27 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

mine is a stock panel w/ 931 vents welded into it- i retained the factory duct work to maintain flow as it were but it lets some air in around the ductwork into the engine bay. Not sure if it does anything but it looks cool. If i ever go without headlights, ill just weld the lids on, no fiberglass here.
Attached Images   
Old 06-17-2007, 12:29 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by billindenver
Have you actually looked at an installed header panel? The area behind the stock opening is far larger than the stock opening can fill...it sweeps upwards leaving a large cavity...inside the top of which the ducted panel opens. I know you can't see this with the stock header in place, but with a vented panel it's easy to see inside. If I were to delete either of the openings...it would be the stock one...as it sweeps up into the intercooler wherease the ducted panel is a direct shot. Without a windtunnel and pretty serious testing equipment to note temp and pressure drop through the intercooler we are simply hypothisizing, but I see nothing aerodynamically to back up the assertions that the vented panel is useless.
I am speaking of the OEM plastic ductwork that forces incoming air (from the OEM inlet) through the intercooler by providing a semi-sealed connection between the duct and intercooler. There is only a single inlet to this duct, and that inlet is curiously the exact same shape and size as the bumper opening for the intercooler duct system.

You actually want a smaller opening for the inlet that increases in size at the intercooler. If you wish to learn more about this, please get the Carol Smith book series. Direct shot of air means nothing compared to a properly designed inlet (and outlet) duct system.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:40 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
And it looks awesome.
Why, thank you! It also looks good with the Euro driving lights I got from...oh yeah, you!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:51 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Aerodynamics...
The front of our cars is not the nice big rounded shape of an airplane wing.

Why do newer RACE Porsches have an air EXIT slot just past the bumper frame where the vent is placed in the vented header panel?

Look at the 924 Turbo vented header panel. Those vent holes are HUGE. Not only do they go all the way across the panel, the vents are much taller too

Also look at the 968 Turbo, instead of increasing the front intercooler intake area, Porsche added an exit vent at the hood line.

The LR stage 5 intercooler header panel may be the exception as it sticks up much higher and into clean air flow.

Again, just my "Holiday Inn Express" observations and as in "Flight of the Pheonix" my aerodynamic design experience is in radio controlled model airplanes.

Ducting...
I have seen header panels and I have seen the stock ducting. I have not seen any ducting designed for adding a vented header panel. Cutting holes in the stock ducting that kind of line up with the vents does not work for me.

The previous owner of my car had cut slots in the stock ducting for a GT vented header panel but messed up the vented header panel trying to make it fit better. The header panel, hood and whole area around the intercooler got so hot that you could not touch or open the hood without burning your hand. I put duct tape over those holes and everything is much much cooler. That tells me there is air pressure in front of the intercooler therefore, already more air available than can easily flow through the intercooler. Increase the pressure in front of the intercooler by adding more inlet area and you increase the heat of the air going thru the intercooler. Seems to me, a better solution would be managing the after intercooler airflow better.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 AM
spammajamma
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelle your car looks sweet, but does Mike in NY have

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
GOt mine from Mike in NY, used
another one? bty is that a roll cage I see in the back?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:21 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently got my vented HP from AIR but it didn't fit at all. Took about six-eight hours of fitting, and I still ended up having to refiberglass a part of it.

But, they do give discounts for PCA members -- i think $50. Since refitting/repainting/readjusting HL's, it looks gorgeous. I'd send you a pic but i'm across the world from my baby ATM...
Old 06-17-2007, 12:07 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by spammajamma
another one? bty is that a roll cage I see in the back?
No, he had this one on his car and decided to go in a different direction and sold it to me. Sorry. And no roll cage either (yet ).
Old 06-17-2007, 12:10 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

BTW - This is the direction Mike decided to go if you are interested:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/309048-951-winter-project-carnage-photos-inside-updated.html
Old 06-17-2007, 01:15 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

In order for cool air to go in hot air must go out. Inorder to make it work ou need what SPecial Tool did to his car and have any opening with a special duct forcing air OUT
Old 06-17-2007, 01:25 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Everyone is entitled to an opinion certainly. Mine is that the panel is doing its job (I have the AIR header). Perhaps it is not, but with a decade of 22psi, pushing 100 track weekends with complete reliability....a recent teardown for #2 rod bearing showed all pistons and bores still withing spec and a leakdown that would make a ford blush...I'll conclude that all is well in my engine bay (with over 180k on the clock). The great thing about these cars is there are many directions an owner can choose to take his.....if I total mine tomorrow, the replacement will be set up exactly as this one is. I've raced in many types of machine and never have I seen so much performance at such reliability....and I attribute much of that to heat management. By all means please do prove me wrong....it will take a windtunnel and IAT's to do so. Until that time, I guess you can meet me at the track to try your luck.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:42 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
mine is a stock panel w/ 931 vents welded into it-
IMO, xboost90's is by far the best interpretation ever.

Mine was cut into the stock header panel and fitted with polished stainless airducting. Polished the intercooler also so it looks nice.

Now where did I put the purple neon lighting.......................

Quick Reply: vented nose panel, good source, fair prices?