Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Lindsey 3" exhaust installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:45 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up New Lindsey 3" exhaust installed

i was excited. My new LR exhaust was going to be on my porch today. I get home and wait. Brown truck pulls up finally. I throw the box in the truck and staight to the muffler shop where he welds an 02 bung into the new front section for my WB02. Home...

i get the old stuff off and start installing the LR exhaust. Front pipe fits ok, i notice its hitting the oil pan. Go to fit the pipe for the wastegate, seems its an inch closer to my wastegate than it was stock...no longer excited- more like worried- get out welder, find old cat from some other project, whack off flange and weld to LR exhaust- reinstall front pipe. Now its almost too short but just barely seating ...hm...flex , manhandle pipe around alittle...ok it fits. Install rear section. I got the whole thing on very quickly, lines up great. Time to put on the strap clamps- i snug them up pretty good, exhaust is loose. I snug some more- still loose. Time for the impact. Crank them badboys all the way down till they wont go no more...now its tight. Nice. Now the downpipe barely clears oilpan. Anyways...i digress..

I start off around the block to make sure i dont have any rattles..yano... at high speeds. Before i can get second gear to 3200rpm im at full 13psi boost!!! I was not even going fast just up to the stop sign!!! This is a good sign. The polished magnaflow sounds kinda loud just around town, but on boost is awsome. I may install the other flow through muffler i bought where the cat would normally be, cant hurt...maybe not. Long story short, very nice stuff, not sure about the wastegate problem weather it was designed/welded wrong or if im retarded, car is much quicker now.

i was going to post pics but my camera died- ill try again tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:04 AM
944 crazy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my LR 3" exhaust installed about 2 weeks ago now, and im lovin it!! But just to make you feel a little better, we had some serious probelms with the wastegate pipe as well... it was about 2 inches to long, so it was time to break out the saw ... quite awhile later everything was installed, and out on the road. can't complain at all anymore...
Old 06-15-2007, 08:05 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

well at least im not the only one- you would think for the extra $100 that pipe would be in the right spot!
Attached Images   
Old 06-15-2007, 10:29 AM
5speed300
Racer

How is the noise level? Drony? Too loud for daily driving?
Old 06-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

I found that longer isn't necessarily a problem. I saw the same thing and freaked out a little, but I went ahead and installed everything with little trouble. It is closer to the wastegate, but it allows the pipe to go in deeper. It looks like its not really supposed to seat until the far end where the LR pipe starts to reduce in diameter. This being said, I'm not all that thrilled with the design, because it leaks a little at the joint... I had to wrap it with some interesting material that I burrowed from work to make it stop. You probably ended up in better shape welding the flange off the stock exhaust. The only good thing about the placement of the lindsey wg pipe is that it gave me enough room to mount my Tial wastegate using the stock mount.
All things concidered I really like the setup, and like you said, the magnaflow sounds great on boost and is at least ok in town.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:51 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

its alittle loud for daily driving i think. You could always spring for the premuffler available w/ the kit though. I called Lindsey and they said that some cars for some reason have longer wg pipes than others. I think this may be the difference between one and two piece crossovers- I had to cut two inches off the LR unit for my wg pipe to have enough room to fit. Side by side there was an obvious difference in lengths of that pipe also. They told me that some cars require modification to fit that. I wanted to keep my stock pipe so that if i went back to stock exhaust anytime i could just bolt it right on.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:50 AM
attyjeff
Racer

I have the same set up, BUT I bought the outlaw premuffler, and its great, its no louder the the stock exhaust EXCEPT when you floor it, then the screems,

Quick Reply: New Lindsey 3" exhaust installed