Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Undoing Oil Cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Undoing Oil Cooler lines

I'm finishing up a friend's 951, and just have to replace one of his oil cooler lines, but I can't get the oil line off the housing. I've removed the oil pressure sender, but still don't have any room to move a wrench. Anybody have any tips for removing the line? I thought that a crow's foot wrench might work.

It's the line on the left.

Thanks in advance.

-Dmitry
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dmitry,
I couldn't get mine off either. I just removed the oil cooler with them attached as it had to come out. Sorry its not helpful, I believe clarks garage lists a specific short stubby wrench that can be used on that line. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:01 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maciek
Dmitry,
I couldn't get mine off either. I just removed the oil cooler with them attached as it had to come out. Sorry its not helpful, I believe clarks garage lists a specific short stubby wrench that can be used on that line. Good luck!
Those suckers are tight. I have done everything I could to not removed them from the engine side.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:58 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I had to drop the engine with mine still attached, I couldn't get it off either...really easy once it's on the engine stand though.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to see if Sears carried a 1 1/4 stubby combo wrench, i think that may do the trick. If not, I could probably bend or cut/weld a standard 1 1/4 combo to fit.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:09 AM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drop the sway bar as far as possible and make as much room as you can. I bought wrenches to fit the adapter and the oil line and squeezed them against eachother. Stubbys just can not get the torque you need. Squeezing two together with both hands broke mine free. I also leaned a bit on the hard piece, using its 90 degree a bit of the flex as another source of grip. Hose came off but adapter stayed in and could not be removed with just the wrench. I ended up blasting it out with an impact wrench through a swivel and at least three extensions. I had to get the adapter out to put a new one in as a part of an oil cooler upgrade.

Once out, I put the hard line in a vice and used a closed end wrench to try to break the flex piece free from the hard piece. I would guess it took about 300 ft lbs to break the two free. Insane.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:25 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That line is much easier to get to with the exhaust headers off. Mine were total pains.. Had to use a couple large pipe wrenches.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:10 AM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tjbreen
Drop the sway bar as far as possible and make as much room as you can. I bought wrenches to fit the adapter and the oil line and squeezed them against eachother. Stubbys just can not get the torque you need. Squeezing two together with both hands broke mine free. I also leaned a bit on the hard piece, using its 90 degree a bit of the flex as another source of grip. Hose came off but adapter stayed in and could not be removed with just the wrench. I ended up blasting it out with an impact wrench through a swivel and at least three extensions. I had to get the adapter out to put a new one in as a part of an oil cooler upgrade.

Once out, I put the hard line in a vice and used a closed end wrench to try to break the flex piece free from the hard piece. I would guess it took about 300 ft lbs to break the two free. Insane.
Why did you remove the fitting? I am trying to see if my oil leak is indeed coming from the seal between the oil cooler and the fitting. Strange if you think about it, considering it should stay nicely sealed if that's how tight it was..

Last edited by s85b50; 09-13-2022 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:53 PM
dlr944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No success under the car removing the fitting but able to get it from above with headers removed. Unfortunately not a quick fix.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:59 PM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I see. So you don't think it'll be a simple tighten & stop leak.
Originally Posted by dlr944
No success under the car removing the fitting but able to get it from above with headers removed. Unfortunately not a quick fix.

Quick Reply: Undoing Oil Cooler lines