Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What to check when overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:05 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to check when overheating

The last couple weeks I've noticed that my 951 has been getting a little hotter than normal. Before a few weeks ago, I would never see the stock temp gauge needle get much further than a hair past the second line on the gauge, but now, when driving on the highway, it gets about halfway between the second and third lines, and when at an intersection during city driving it gets dangerously close to that third line.

I know the fans are running, but I'm not sure if all the fans are running. This was my first thought to check. But other than looking in and making sure they are both running, is there something else to check? Don't they have different speeds they can run at? I know when I first turn off the car, they spin up to high speed for a minute or so or until I completely turn the key to off, and from there they continue to run in what I'd call low speed mode for another few minutes. Sounds normal, right?

My coolant tank is filled to the "max" line. Something to note though, a while back I was putting in coolant mix and I didn't wait long enough to let the car completely cool. When I took the pressure cap off, coolant starting sucking out of the engine(?) into the overflow tank. I had to wait for it to cool down to put anymore coolant in. Could this have caused an air bubble in the engine that is causing me to overheat?? I really know very little about the cooling system on cars.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:26 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

could be many things- lets start with easy fixes first...

- say you have an air pocket in the system. You want the bleeder valve as high above the rest of the coolant system as possible. Raise the front/passenger side of car up slightly with the car on level. Start car and let it get up to temp. Turn on the heater to get coolant flowing everywhere. This should send all the air in the system up to the highest point. Now crack the bleeder -on the front of the head on the water neck- and see if any air comes out. If its just solid coolant with no air, your good- but i will bet there is some steam/air coming out for a minute.

with the car cooled down, you should only have coolant in the tank between min and max prefferably. If its too high itll dump it out the overflow- too low and you may run the tank dry.

- lets say that didnt work. You said both your fans ARE working correct? They should be kicking on around 230 degrees or so, or when the car is up to temp. They should also be on constant if the a/c is on. Your gauge should be running staight horizontal or in the middle of the gauge. Mine runs just below horizontal even at the track. Running the a/c could cause the temp to go up slightly though.

- if your temp is getting high, and your fans are working, you may have a sticking thermostat- in the waterpump behind the lower hose. This is not common...

- if your fans are not kicking on properly, you may have a bad temp switch in the radiator itself not sending proper signal to the fans to kick on soon enough, at all, or sometimes they will stay on constant when this switch goes out.

-Check your oil! If the headgasket is headed south -or your oil cooler seals i guess- you could be mixing coolant. If its the headgasket, you could be getting some combustion pressure into the system, causing the system to over pressurize, dump coolant from the tank and make some killer air pockets.

-look at your radiator. Its unlikely, but if your radiator is clogged full of grassclippings, bugs and debris, you wont get enough flow and it will run hot.

try this stuff, and if anything you may need to flush the system w/ some 50/50 premix coolant if it hasnt been done in several years.

Quick Reply: What to check when overheating