Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How important is the turbo/brake fluid reservoir heat sield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:10 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine off but I have a coated downpipe and I wrapped the resevoir and booster with thermotec heatshielding
Old 06-12-2007, 01:14 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i would def put that in, the area around the turbo gets pretty dang warm. It may work fine usually but the one time you are pushing the car you may find out why it was there. Ive talked to Dave, seemed like an ok guy but i could see him doing that. I bought my track wheels from him...
Exactly, seems like an ok guy, good thing he never did a car for you, otherwise you'd know the real guy....
Old 06-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nize
the engine coolant reservoir does not sit 3 inches directly above the turbocharger hotside which glows red from freeway driving.

the brake fluid reservoir (and master cylinder) does.
oh I didn't know that...
the point is that the AIR 3 inches above the turbo is not going to be a couple of hundred degrees hotter than 6 inches further away in the engine compartment.

If it was that sensitive it would cook the coolant running through the hoses from and to the turbo and melt the rubber hoses.

Plus the fact that coolant starts to boil around 130 deg C and good brake fluid around 300 deg C.

Of course heating up brake fluid is a bad thing but it's so funny that people discuss this particular shield as a matter of life and death when there's ton's of other stuff that's more important.

Such as changing brake fluid every year, inspect brake hoses, service bolts and bushings in the suspension etc.etc.etc.

I mean a basic thing like a bad alignment in the rear is far more dangerous than this shield. A little toe out and most drivers would be in a spin when panic braking in the wet.

Brake fluid is especially important. Moist gets trapped in the fluid and the boiling point is lowered basically every day. A couple of years old fluid is probably worse than this shield.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:42 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

believe me , i was being very sarcastic when i said he would never do that...
Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

If you think that brake fluid will boil simply by the engine compartment heat, what do you think would happen to the engine coolant??
Which is why the coolant runs through a radiator. If you wanted to route your brake fluid through a radiator and mount the master cylinder etc away from the turbocharger, then I'm sure that shield could easily be deleted. Personally, I would just put the shield back in. That turbo gets hot, very very hot..has no direct air vented in there to cool the brake fluid, so it is sitting in a heat sink...with no way to cool it. A heat sink like that means everything around it eventually gets pretty close to the temp of the heat source. That is why the shield is there, and why it goes all the way up to the hood and seals against it. I've been guilty of deleting a heat shield or two, but that one....not a good idea IMHO.

I would take the car back to the genius who removed the shield and let him put it back in. Probably not a terribly fun project.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by xsboost90
believe me , i was being very sarcastic when i said he would never do that...
I know, I could tell by the smiley face
Old 06-12-2007, 02:05 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by billindenver
Which is why the coolant runs through a radiator. If you wanted to route your brake fluid through a radiator and mount the master cylinder etc away from the turbocharger, then I'm sure that shield could easily be deleted. Personally, I would just put the shield back in. That turbo gets hot, very very hot..has no direct air vented in there to cool the brake fluid, so it is sitting in a heat sink...with no way to cool it. A heat sink like that means everything around it eventually gets pretty close to the temp of the heat source. That is why the shield is there, and why it goes all the way up to the hood and seals against it. I've been guilty of deleting a heat shield or two, but that one....not a good idea IMHO.

I would take the car back to the genius who removed the shield and let him put it back in. Probably not a terribly fun project.
I would take it back to Promotion, but I don't want to bother with that slimeball and it is in Opa Locka, and the area is not very nice unless you're packin and I'm not....
Old 06-12-2007, 04:27 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Ah yes, I'm familiar with that area. Living in your part of florida, I would take the car to redbones in Orlando. They are top notch, wrenched on the factory 951 effort and know these cars inside out and backwards. I still call them if there is something I can't figure out. Robin has forgotten more about 951's than most 'experts' will ever know. I know it's a haul from south Fla to Orlando...but then I would bet my pink slip you would never have this kind of problem out of Redbones.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:54 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Love the Avatar, ain't it the truth!!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:24 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LFA951
I should be getting it today...
Cool! This really is one of those things that can't be left to chance. sweanders may have been a bit dramatic, but think of how you would feel if that really did happen. Myself, I'd rather be dead than have to live with it.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:47 PM
LFA951
Drifting

I tried putting it in, but it is too wide in the center, the intake is too tight and either the brake fluid reservoir has to come off or the intake to get it all the way down.. just gonna leave it like it is for now....
Old 06-12-2007, 09:50 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Lots of people don't run this shield. At the track with great breaking. Look at ST's picture of his car. See a shield.........No coating either.
Lets all calm down and sing Kum Ba Ya. (At least that's how I saw it spelled most commonly on the internet.)
Old 06-12-2007, 10:11 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Lots of people don't run this shield. At the track with great breaking. Look at ST's picture of his car. See a shield.........No coating either.
Lets all calm down and sing Kum Ba Ya. (At least that's how I saw it spelled most commonly on the internet.)
Good point, and that's a track car which is braking as often as it is accelerating! I think I am just going to leave it out and try to use my brakes only when necessary...
Old 06-12-2007, 10:37 PM
nize
Banned

awesome! i think i'm gonna remove mine too since the porsche engineers obviously don't know what they're doing! thanks for your expert advice !
Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

ST's car is a track car? You do mean Special tool right? Hey tool, jump in here....you track that car without a heat shield? I'm not saying it's not possible, but I would love to hear from someone who does it before I choose to believe it. With big reds, slotted, 3" brake ducting....I've come off the track with boiling fluid and that is with track pads. I ONCE made the unreal mistake of running street pads on the track which overheated going downhill into turn 10 at Road Atlanta on the 3rd lap....could not slow down at all...straight into the gravel pit. Ok, I run fairly quick and 275's front and rear means I can command pretty good grip for the brakes to deal with but still...ATE blue boiling out of the reservoir isn't what I call a good time..and that is with mega ducting. Perhaps the shield doesn't provide the radiant help it appears to, but I find it unlikely and refuse to believe it unless someone like tool chimes in and says they do it all the time. In that case, I'll pull my shield because it is a damn nuisance for maintenance...

Quick Reply: How important is the turbo/brake fluid reservoir heat sield?