Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:24 AM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951MAX Chips - Stock 1988 Turbo

Hello Stock 951 Owners,

I finally got the chance to install the 951MAX single chip (DME) in my stock 1988 944 Turbo (non S). Although I have not had the car dynoed, there are noticeable improvements.

The overall drivability of the car has increased dramatically. The first to second gear shift is smoother than it has ever been. Additionally, first gear is more useable in every day driving and there is very little bounce from a dead start. I always thought that it was my clutching that was the problem, but the new chip has somehow improved my clutch ability.

The overall power is felt across the entire rpm range now, whereas before the power would come in sudden short bursts.

I will report more of my impressions as I get the chance to drive the car now that the New England weather is better.

Last edited by boston951; 06-07-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:05 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the Booster chip, right?

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Regards,
Russell
Old 06-07-2007, 02:17 PM
boston951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I forgot in my earlier post. Thanks Russell :-)

If I feel the need and install a cat bypass/test pipe will the chip need to be reprogrammed?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by boston951
I forgot in my earlier post. Thanks Russell :-)

If I feel the need and install a cat bypass/test pipe will the chip need to be reprogrammed?
No reprogramming necessary, it'll just sound better and go faster
Old 06-07-2007, 02:39 PM
951Boost
Rennlist Member

All I'm saying is;
Old 06-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

+1
I think mine is great, too!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:00 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Russel- out of curiosity, what does the WOT timing curve look like on a non s with you chips? I'm having some difficulty developing a timing map for my 86. I understand if you aren't willing to disclose this.

Best,
Robert
Old 06-07-2007, 11:09 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by RPHARRIS
Russel- out of curiosity, what does the WOT timing curve look like on a non s with you chips? I'm having some difficulty developing a timing map for my 86. I understand if you aren't willing to disclose this.

Best,
Robert
Actually, I don't mind at all. Numbers are degrees of advance.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2007, 11:12 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rberry951
No reprogramming necessary, it'll just sound better and go faster
Russel, I have one of your chips as well but have yet to install it. Do I need to run a boost controller, or will it work fine with the stock KLR?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:07 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Russel, I have one of your chips as well but have yet to install it. Do I need to run a boost controller, or will it work fine with the stock KLR?
Hey Bill,

According to my records you bought the DME III chip thru Lindsey back in February. You should have received both a DME and KLR chips. This is the regular 951MAX chip designed to be used in conjunction with a 3.0 bar fuel pressure regulator, and higher than stock boost dialed to the 15-18psi range with a boost controller. Preferrably with the cycling valve bypassed. It's intended to work with a stronger than stock wastegate as well, shims help though if you want to keep the stock wastegate. If you run these chip with a stock fuel pressure regulator and no boost controller and keep the stock KLR chip in then you'll be okay, you just won't get the most benefit from it.

After you bought your chip I introduced the DME I Booster chip, which this thread refers to, which is designed for a completely stock setup, no increase in boost, using stock KLR chip, and wastegate thru the cycling valve. It retains the overboost protection from the factory.

If you feel the Booster chip would be better for your application talk to Dave about swapping for the booster chip. I'm not sure how he would handle it, I have no influence over their business dealings, they just resell my products. If you plan to use the DME III chip you have, you will need a boost controller and 3.0 bar fuel pressure regulator to go with it. Typically they sell these items and wastegate shims as a kit with the DME III chips if you do not already have them.

If you are unsure of which is best for your goals, feel free to contact me directly and we can discuss what you would like to achieve, and I can help you determine what components you need to do so. The best way to contact me is via the contact page at my site, http://www.maxhpkit.com so my spam filter doesn't get you.

Regards,
Russell

Quick Reply: 951MAX Chips - Stock 1988 Turbo