Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crankcase Cleaning Surprises

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Crankcase Cleaning Surprises

So, I had intended spending the weekend assembling the bottom end of my endless 3 liter project. Saturday was mostly clearance checking and measuring, and making sure I had all the correct fasteners. Yesterday, I was planning to clean the crankcase one more time for assembly today. I went through many cans of brakeclean, but it seemed no matter how much I cleaned the inside, I was still getting yellow/brown streaks in the brakeclean that ran off. In this picture, you can see a little stain near the #4 cover...
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

So... after debating it...I opted to remove those lower crank covers to see what was under there. The FSM says it is "usually not necessary" to remove the covers... guess this wasn't a usual block... I found this under 4 out of 6 covers. The pictures don't do it justice -- big clumps of sludge and crud sitting in standing water/coolant/gunk. Must of gotten trapped in there at the machine shop I assume...
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

So, those M6 nuts require Loctite 270 according to the factory manual, so I suppose assembly will be put off another week or so. Probably just as well, as I obviously need to spend some quality time re-cleaning the block, and everything bolting in or on it.... Here is the bottom of the crank case after cleaning one side (and yes, the other side was just as bad when I popped those covers off).
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it has covers there? why?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I presume (but don't know for sure) the covers are for oil control, since there is otherwise a big open pocket there on the 104 blocks.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:45 PM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many cans of brake cleaner are you going through to do that? I used a full can on my cam housing last night and I probably still have a second cans worth of stuff still on there. Why not just drop it off at a parts cleaner or something?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:40 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billthe3
How many cans of brake cleaner are you going through to do that? I used a full can on my cam housing last night and I probably still have a second cans worth of stuff still on there. Why not just drop it off at a parts cleaner or something?
Many cans.

A parts cleaner will tank it, etc., but not really spend the time needed to go over the block with a fine-tooth comb -- at least I have not found a place willing to take that kind of time...

Quick Reply: Crankcase Cleaning Surprises