Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

pinouts of dme

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:02 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinouts of dme

my cd drive is broken my manuals are on cd can some one please email me the pinouts of the DME and klr plug pin outs
naylor.adam@gmail.com
Old 05-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DME

KLR

Rogue
Old 05-27-2007, 10:15 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ewww thanks I needed that as well

IPSC
Old 05-30-2007, 11:49 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

thanks rough that was handy so do you care to furhter descuss the relationship between the KLR and the DME does the signal trigger signal from dme to coil go via klr do you have a digram to show the wiring from dme to klr . I am using programmable EFI and i'd love to be able to keep the klr in action as my ecu does not have its features . there is a special bit of electronics in the klr that is listening to the knock sensors and when it hears the knock it matches the wave form to a knock profile and does its thing .
Old 05-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Geneqco
Pro

I'm also interested... looking into similar scenario.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:52 AM
Geneqco
Pro

I am in the process of researching this at the moment and will write up and post my findings for comment and discussion.

The short answer to your question is that it appears the impulse signal goes directly from the DME to the coil. The KLR seems to signal the DME to make the changes. Moreover, it would seem that in the absence of a signal from the KLR, the DME goes to stage two of knock control, ie 6 degrees retard.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:07 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

The DME sends an ignition trigger signal to the KLR (DME output = pin #31, KLR input = pin #9). If the KLR determines no knock present then it send s the signal immediately back to the DME (DME Input = Pin #32, KLR output = pin #16). Upon recieving the return signal the DME triggers spark. The KLR provides the ignition retard (either 3 or 6 degrees), by simply delaying the return signal to the DME.
This is my understanding of how our system works.

Rogue
Old 06-02-2007, 02:39 AM
Geneqco
Pro

I'm not sure if that is correct. You can bridge terminals 9 and 16 of the KLR to operate the vehicle without the KLR (in which case the same signal output from the DME is being returned without change) but if you do the "engine will be run with reduced power" according to the Workshop Manual.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:46 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

I didn't say I was right
Looks like we need someone a little more knowledgeable and not withholding of information.

Rogue
Old 06-02-2007, 08:26 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i would imagine for both of you to be correct the klr would give some advance when it sees full load via tps if it is happy not hearing a ping in this case when you jumper it out you would get "reduced power" no extra advance when your foots in it . so it would give and not give 3 or 6 degrees if it hears the ping or not if it hears a biger ping it would send the fualt via klr pin 15 to go in the fualt count of the dme .this way it would be fail safe only giving the lastr 3 degrees of power advance if the klr and knock sensors are ok otherwise you would be waiting for a retard that would never come in the case of a fualty KLR or knock sensor . I'll try and get Vitesse Racing in to this thread as by there web page they have reverse egineerind the intir EMS
Old 06-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
i would imagine for both of you to be correct the klr would give some advance when it sees full load via tps if it is happy not hearing a ping in this case when you jumper it out you would get "reduced power" no extra advance when your foots in it . so it would give and not give 3 or 6 degrees if it hears the ping or not if it hears a biger ping it would send the fualt via klr pin 15 to go in the fualt count of the dme .this way it would be fail safe only giving the lastr 3 degrees of power advance if the klr and knock sensors are ok otherwise you would be waiting for a retard that would never come in the case of a fualty KLR or knock sensor . I'll try and get Vitesse Racing in to this thread as by there web page they have reverse egineerind the intir EMS
Yes, I did think of this possibility too... the only problem is that if you look at the timing map for WOT, it actually tends to pull rather than add timing for WOT, which is proably what you'd expect if they're playing it safe.

I agree it would be great to get some more input. I'll try to finish off the work I'm doing on this tomorrow and I'll post it as a Word doc with the wiring diagrams for anyone interested.

PS I'm glad to see there's at least a couple of other people interested in this.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:59 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i just recieved confermation the the brother knock box for bosche kjet does apply and un apply advance and will not apply the advance if say the knock sensor is without background noise not fitted properly . i still think it may give it befor it takes it away . although it pulls timing at wot what if the klr box gave +3degrees as soon as it was powered up then took it away . how do you know that the timing map is the actual event occuring . is this iformation lerned by comparing neg coil to crank trigger ?

Pins 9 ,16 and 24 of the klr
pins 1 ,25 ,26 ,27 of the dme
all need to be put on a scope and compared to each other
this will get to the bottom of this i think i can borrow a scope and get on to it soon .

also conclusive detail of exactly wich pin hooks to wich betwwen the 2 boxes
perhaps i should change the title of this thread or start a knew one that gets all seeing the question
Old 06-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Geneqco
Pro

As promised, I've attached this doc, I'll also post it in some other threads. I had to remove the last two pages of the wiring diag to make it fit.

Please let me know what you think.

I think the important pins to understand are pin 16 of the KLR and pin 31 on the DME.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
1989 951 DME condensed.doc (145.0 KB, 99 views)

Quick Reply: pinouts of dme