Stock Turbo (3000 miles)
Stock Motor (3000 miles)
Stock Exhuast (3000 miles)

Guru Racing Chip Set
Zeintronix Zt2 Wide Band and Boost Guage
Reliaboost Controller (for now)
15.5psi of Boost
Bosch 3.0FPR

This is my first turbo car, and I have no idea how to adjust the fuel ratio and where to adjust it to. I have no idea what it should be reading throughout the RPM range. Do I need the Lindsey Mafterburner or something else similiar?

Like I said I am new to this turbo world and want to get it right the first time.

Any help would be appreciated. I have tried a search but nothing really comes up that answers my question.

Thanks

Zach
Old 05-26-2007, 12:22 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

It's the Guru chips causing you issues. They are known to run very rich. Do you also have the Guru MAP set-up? You can tell because there's a straight pipe where the stock AFM would be. Unless you have some type of piggyback unit there isn't really anyway to fine tune the AFR and you are at the mercy of your chips. An MAF with new chips will help driveability or you can just go for an off the shelf chip like the Max951.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:22 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swap your chips out to 951max chips. Do a search for 951max of Russell Berry. He can get you some chips that will fix your a/f ratio's. In fact, try emailing him for suggestions.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:25 PM
ApexCars
Pro

This according to Russell Berry:

"If your systems uses the stock O2 sensor then closed loop mode will maintain stoic (or close to it) any time you're aren't accelerating. But if you lift completely of course it'll go very lean and that's normal.

Different chips seem to have different target goals. If someone is running 15-18psi boost I like to see it 11.5-11.8 under full boost and up to 12.1 in the higher RPMs as boost bleeds off. Prior to boost it can go as high as 12.5, this helps spool-up. So ideally it should not be a single AFR across all ranges. Just driving around 14ish is nice, passes emissions, good fuel economy, good temps. In very high boost conditions it can be a bit richer on the top end and under full boost, this helps keep EGTs down and protects against detonation to some degree. Again, I map mine pretty specific to the car's power curve, but any generic chip that keeps you in the 11.5-12.2 range should be safe unless you're running insane boost, in which case 12+ could be dangerous."
Old 05-26-2007, 12:34 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Zach,

You have the best tool for monitoring tuning with the Zt2 wideband. But you don't have anything to adjust with.

Yes, the Mafterburner will allow you to adjust the AFR, BUT it is designed to work with a Mass Airflow sensor (MAF) not the stock Air Flow Meter (AFM). I wouldn't recommend trying to use it without a MAF.

With the mods you have and runing a boost of 15.5 psi a good chip should be all you need. I personally like the things Russell is doing in this Maxx951 chips, there are also a lot of people that like John's Vitesse chipsets.

The next upgrade after getting some good chips would be a dual port wastegate to hold boost better in the upper rpm ranges.

There is a great upgrade list in the tech section of Turbo944.com

Also from I've seen and heard, I would not run over 16 psi of boost with the stock valve train.

Enyjoy your new toy!
Old 05-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Zach951
Advanced

Thank you folks, Kinda confirmed what I was thinking about being able to adjust it.. I can't without some type of MAF and piggy-back. I was also concerned with the GURU racing chips, they were in the car when I got it, so i really didn't have a choice in chip selection there.

I have recently bought a set of AutoAuthority stage 2 chips cheap and was going to swap them in, but I heard they run rich so I wanted to get the ZT2 set up first and see what happens. Any suggestions on which chip set would be better?

The one short run I did, consisted of me going down hill in 2nd gear and the ratio was saying 21. On the throttle easy and it goes to 14.0. On boost it got down into the 12s. At idle it is around 14 as well.

If all else fails the 951maxx chips are next as well as a Tail 38mm wastegate, just have to convince the wife!
Old 05-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Zach951
Advanced

I am looking at the MAX hpKit from Russel Berry at 951maxx and trying to figure out which chip set would be better for me to buy if I do come down to that point.

He states that the Stage III requires the following parts.. I have most.

1) Rising rate 3 bar fuel pressure regulator (have)

2) CLEAN and flow matched injectors (sizes 34.6#,55#,65#,75#) (have)

3) 2.5-3" exhaust system (no converter) (have 3 inch to the cat back and then down to 2.5, but do I do have a cat.)

4) Upgraded waste-gate to hold the boost or shims (don't have yet)

5) Manual boost controller (LBE recommended) (have a reliaboost)

Should I be pro active and purchase this chip set and run what I got or just purchase the basic Stage I?

Ahh to much out there to choose from.

Thank you again

Zach
Old 05-26-2007, 02:20 PM
gvr4111
Advanced

does maxhp kit let you adjust the fuel? if so I don't see why you can't tune it yourself. since you have wideband it'll be pretty easy to tune it yourself and eventually get all those parts you want. I would stay in the 11's(afr) on wot if you are using 93 pump gas. I have max chip(don't know what stage but just the chip), lindsey maf and mafterburner. I had to fine tune it a little to get where I wanted it to be. I think I'm getting maxtune sometime soon so I can get rid of mafterburner. it seemed to me maxtune offers good stuff for really reasonable price. I can't find anyother chip company that offers timing adjustability other than standalone. timing makes big difference.

Quick Reply: Need Some Help or Advice