Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Blew head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007 | 11:32 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nize
do you have any way to monitor the percentage of duty cycle your injectors were (or are) running?

i ask this because i do have that ability, and i have seen how stock injectors hit 100% duty cycle at 18-19psi of boost.
At what fuel pressure? A fuel injector is basically an electronic valve. How much fuel it passes depends on two things. How long it is open (duty cycle) and how much pressure you push through it. So....if you are running 100% duty cycle and don't want to be...turn up the fuel pressure and that cycle will reduce. So I have a few questions for those who care to research...

1. How much fuel pressure can you push into them before the spray pattern starts getting rediculous (hint - more than you think)

2. How long are they rated to run at 100% duty cycle (hint - forever)

After those questions are answered (when I worked at daimler/chrysler as an R&D engineer they were answered for me by the engineers at Bosch) then you will really know something about the injection system in our cars.

The next question to answer would be...what does the fuel pressure do in a 951 when under boost? (hint - why is that vacuum line on the FPR?) That is when you really begin to understand how a 951 does it's thing...and why so many of us get the numbers and longevity we get while blowing right by the accepted rules on the internet. Keep in mind, much of what you read in here as fact....is very far from it.

IMHO of course, YMMV
Old 05-30-2007 | 06:11 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How long have you been running the ARP head studs Bill? Have you had any extended period of time with the stock studs?
Old 05-30-2007 | 09:37 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran stock studs until this past winter when I had it apart for a spun #2. It was a case of "well, it's apart so I might as well.....

Which turned into a head rebuild, new bearings, rings and seals, lightened the crank, balanced the entire set up and put ARP's in. You know...since it was apart anyway.

Quick Reply: Blew head gasket