Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intercooler questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Missin2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler questions

As far as options go their is the Lindsay products None of which i am thrilled about.. I like the over sized one but I don't want to run the funny looking nose panel..

So I am leaning towards the speed force racing intercooler. It seems reasonably priced and easy to install.

I guess I wanted some feedback on both products as well as other options (if their are any)..

let me know

and thanks in advance!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Loquat15
Racer

Originally Posted by Missin2
I like the over sized one but I don't want to run the funny looking nose panel..
I like the funny looking nose panel ;-) its all opinion though i suppose. There just isnt a whole lot of room in there as far as other intercooler sizes are concerned...

seems like there's a crapload of intercoolers out there that we just cant use or if we did, we'd overheat our vehicles!

You can only get so much air through that stock air tunnel... goodluck in what you decide to do, cant go wrong with upgrading it! well... you know what i mean!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:43 AM
George D
Drifting

You are in MD. Lindsey is closer and has a good intercooler, but they come in stages 1,2,and 3. Tim's intercooler comes in one stage and it's probably close to the best out there. Your real decision is the fact that Tim will build your intercooler when you order it. It won't be on the shelf and it will be made to order just for you.

I'm having Tim build me his intake, stage 2 headers, alum overflow tank and he is vastly involved in my current 3.0 project.

Do you need a better intercooler than the stock one? What are your mods?

George
Old 05-24-2007, 01:45 AM
George D
Drifting

You don't have to have your nost panel cut to use SFR's intercooler. The nose panel cuts are to add additional air flow to the intercooler, but it's not necessary.

George
Old 05-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a lindsey stage II. Love it! my intake manifold after a long boost session or on the dyno is cold to the touch. seriously.

Also, there is someone on the list here who tested the lindsey units, and determined that each stage took a little bit off his 1/4 mile time, not sure how much or what... but yeah.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:58 AM
George D
Drifting

I have the LR stage 2. Great unit. I just wanted to comment on the SFR unit. You can't go wrong either way.

George
Old 05-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Missin2
Racer

Originally Posted by George D
You don't have to have your nost panel cut to use SFR's intercooler. The nose panel cuts are to add additional air flow to the intercooler, but it's not necessary.

George
For the stage 5 you do.. I am not talking about cutting vents I am talking about how you need a whole new panel for the stage5..

Honestly I probably don't "need" one yet. The car has been modified. AutoAuth maf/chip, exhaust, turboXS dual stage boost controller, mildly ported head with valve job.

The stocker leaves much to be desired in my opinion (granted it is over 20 years old)

I do plan on upgrading to a new turbo *maybe* next year..

I am pretty set of the SFR unit..

Are their any other options available?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:39 AM
cyinisis
Advanced

I've read a few times that unless you're pushing INXS (=], I'm a freaking nerd) of 400HP, the stock intercooler works suprisingly well...
Old 05-24-2007, 11:39 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search. it is your friend. There are volumes of info on this. The stock unit has been used as far as 400+ hp at the wheels.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Missin2
Racer

I did a little last night.. I am sure it offers sufficient flow and cooling to support 400+ hp.. but is it efficient? I think not..
Old 05-24-2007, 12:08 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The point is that, depending on your current mods, this should get bumped down the list a good bit...depending on your mods.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 PM
George D
Drifting

The point here is that a better intercooler without the supporting mods would not be money well spent. This is my opinion, but why upgrade something when it will work just fine when a stage whatever won't do all that much unless you have mods to utilize the part.

You end up with a motor that won't benefit from the modification. At least not from a cost/benefit standpoint.

George
Old 05-24-2007, 01:36 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by George D
The point here is that a better intercooler without the supporting mods would not be money well spent. This is my opinion, but why upgrade something when it will work just fine when a stage whatever won't do all that much unless you have mods to utilize the part.

You end up with a motor that won't benefit from the modification. At least not from a cost/benefit standpoint.

George
Exactly. There are SOO MANY mods that need to take place before a bigger IC becomes anything but anecdotal. Use the money on a MAF/Turbo/software and piggy back, not to mention engine internals, before worrying at all about the IC. You'll see virtually no gain with an otherwise stock car.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:02 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In the interest of adding to the discussion, what is the consensus about upgrading the intercooler on a 'mildly' modified 951, say something with a K27/VR stage 2 or 3/similar, and supporting mods, putting out 300~350whp? Would upgrading be worth it in such a case?

I assume something like a 3" exhaust should be higher on the list than an upgraded intercooler?
Old 05-24-2007, 02:44 PM
cyinisis
Advanced

Originally Posted by mtnman82
In the interest of adding to the discussion, what is the consensus about upgrading the intercooler on a 'mildly' modified 951, say something with a K27/VR stage 2 or 3/similar, and supporting mods, putting out 300~350whp? Would upgrading be worth it in such a case?

I assume something like a 3" exhaust should be higher on the list than an upgraded intercooler?
I'd spend a little money at a hardware store and make some home-made squirters for your intercooler...it'd be a whole lot cheaper, and a whole lot more effective.

Quick Reply: Intercooler questions