Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HELP!! Car running terrible after new vac. lines and venturi delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 04:55 PM
5speed300
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry that was a typo. I didnt remove the KLR. I mean to say I removed the cycling valve.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:48 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Any progress?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:47 PM
5speed300
Racer

Originally Posted by lleroyb
Any progress?
Nope. Tested the ISV and it didnt help. I really need the car to be driveable this week so I just made some notes and printed off the lindsey vacuum diagram to give the shop tommorow. I tried messing with it for a solid week and couldnt figure it out so I'm gonna let the pros look at it. I will let you all know what the deal was when they figure it out. crossing my fingers the bill isnt huge
Old 05-21-2007, 09:55 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

Please do, it is killing me almost as much as my own issue.

Lou
Old 05-22-2007, 05:04 PM
5speed300
Racer

Well, the car is fixed!! One day at the shop and they got it all sorted, they even dialed in the boost controller for me. Turns out the problem wasnt with any of the vacuum lines or things I installed.

It was running on three cylinders because the #1 fuel injector harness connector was not working correctly. $17 in parts was all it took to fix the thing. Im so happy, I was worried it was gonna be a huge ordeal to fix. Thankfully it wasnt!

I really want to sincerely thank all of you guys who helped me out in this thread and gave me advice on things to check. Really a great community of people. If anyone is ever in the Raleigh, NC area dont hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Moral of the story, old cars break the most random things so be prepared to do alot of detective work if your not a master mechanic...or just take it to a good shop haha.

Thanks again guys!
Old 05-22-2007, 11:59 PM
lleroyb
Burning Brakes

An $11 dollar noid light and fifteen minutes would have found this. I am sorry I did not mention it.

Great to hear you have it straightened out. Enjoy your car!

Lou
Old 05-23-2007, 12:50 AM
tyro
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, glad you got it worked out!

I mentioned injector connectors in post #20 (patting myself on the back now lol), but only that they were on/tight - so close!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:00 AM
5speed300
Racer

Took the car out on the highway to see how it was running. The engine seems so much smoother and quieter than it was before I was having problems. Also I am now getting 17in/hg vacuum when warm, before I was getting 15ish. 17 is pretty healthy correct?

The mbc is holding 11psi rock solid too. I wired in my boost gauge light, put some silicon around the holes I drilled and put everything back together. Running like a champ!
Old 05-23-2007, 04:16 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 5speed300
It was running on three cylinders because the #1 fuel injector harness connector was not working correctly. $17 in parts was all it took to fix the thing. Im so happy, I was worried it was gonna be a huge ordeal to fix. Thankfully it wasnt!
OMG, this is why I love Rennlist...

Chasing a similar issue, I stayed up until 3 am last night and managed to replace the ISV and TPS without pulling the intake manifold. There's not much lighting in the parking structure where I keep my cars, so I was working with a flashlight.

After buttoning everything up (or so I thought), including having to jack the car up and pull the engine pan to find a TPS screw that I dropped, the idle was now stable with no surging, but it still didn't feel right and the engine had a weird vibration.

I also noticed a slight tapping sound from the belt cover indicating I probably should've had the belt retensioned and I'm booked at the shop to have that done on Monday, but after reading your thread I realize that I left the #2 spark plug socket off, so I was running on 3 cylinders too! I know there is no excuse, but bad lighting is one of the many things that suck about not having your own place to work on your car.

Now I can't wait until lunch break to go back to the garage and check the idle again with the #2 cylinder running as it should.

Rennlist never ceases to amaze me. You try to help people out and never know when the favor will be reciprocated, whether intentionally or by total coincidence. I would've felt pretty stupid taking the car in on Monday with a disconnected spark plug. 5speed300, my thanks go out to you as well!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:33 PM
allergic2milk
Racer

Gray finally glad to hear it up and running, cheap fixes are the best
Now to fix the red car

Quick Reply: HELP!! Car running terrible after new vac. lines and venturi delete