Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car tried to commit suicide today

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:44 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car tried to commit suicide today

Well, I just seem to have awful luck. I decided to take the 951 to work today..... A short story follows

It was a nice 25* day this morning, turned the A/C on (FINALLY fixed it, man is it ever cold!), took the long way to the Tim Horton's on my way to work, pulled into the drive thru and smoke just started POURING out from under my hood. I have been paranoid of engine fires since I started driving 944's, and so I have already changed the fuel lines, protected the battery cables, I had covered everything... or so I thought.

Apparently something broke when I hit the bump going into the parking lot, and sprayed oil all over my headers. By the time I stopped in the drive-thru line, saw the smoke, and backed into a parking stall it would appear I had lost ~0.5L on the ground, it was pouring out at an amazing rate, and the smoke was even more amazing.
The one thing that shocked me the most was the incredibly observant Harley rider in the parking lot...
I backed into a stall and popped the hood to inspect the source of the smoke. There were huge clouds of it, I had the hood open and was searching around, and this idiot felt the urge to come running up to me yelling at me that my car was on fire.....
Gee, I really hadn't noticed, thank you for providing me with this crucial previously unknown information. I countered by telling him that I know, and it appears a gasket has failed pouring oil all over my headers. He proceeded to run over to the pool on the ground, stick his finger in it, sniff it, then tell me the obvious.... it was engine oil!

At the time the engine literally was on fire, there was a small fire burning on the #1 exhaust header right up near the cam tower, extending down to the end of the first heat shield on the pipe.

Anyhoo, the oil wasn't leaking at a _CATASTROPHIC_ rate, there was 7 litres of it in the engine, and I lived only 6 blocks away so I chanced it and drove it home. I managed to make the first 2 lights, at one point using up part of the wrong side of the road because an idiot home depot truck driver ran a red making a right turn into the wrong lane while going about 2.5x the speed limit, but then I hit a red light just 1 block from home....

There is nothing like sitting at a red light in traffic with large clouds of blue smoke billowing out around your hood. The look on people's faces around me was priceless. The light was short and I made it home (where the garden hose was, if I stopped on the road it would burn for sure) without further incident.

After shutting it off and popping the hood the fire quickly extinguished itself, saving me from having to spray my hot headers with ice cold water. An initial survey of the damage appears to be......... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!
My engine was literally on fire and there isn't so much as a mark on it. The fuel lines 10" away are completely untouched, the spark plug wires and injector harness are not melted, the hood insulation is untouched, everything appears to be fine.
I believe that the top oil cooler line ruptured and was misting the headers with my engine oil, but I will further survey the damage tomorrow or saturday.

I wish I had pics of the smoke, or better yet, of people's faces as I sat beside them at the traffic light. I will get some pics up of the damage as soon as possible, but I just finished working 14 hours and I have to be back at work in 7 1/2 hours, so I might not get time to look at it in the morning.

People on here talk about how these cars punish you for looking at other vehicles.... just last night I pulled up an ad for a 92 mitsubishi GTO 2+2 TT for sale in the area..... 93,000km, moderately modified for $7.5K, and I confess, I was talking about how nice it would be to drive, and how it might even be half-way reliable due to the relatively low mileage and recent work. The 951 was outside, I honestly thought it couldn't hear me! I must now spend my night apologizing to the Porsche creator so he will no longer punish me.....
Old 05-11-2007, 07:01 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had one of those. My car over heated and I finally go it parked I let it cool down in the car port and fixed the hose that broke. yad..fired it up an added anti-freeze+water...bleed it...closed the bleeder...white STEAM poured out the back...the motor stumbled... . So I poped the cork on a FanzisKaner Helles hefe...chuged it...poured a bit on my hand for the motors last rights... I did a genoflection (father son & holy ghost) sprinkling the motor adminstering its last rights. Then... ... ...I thought ***** I get to do a new head + gasket + a classic excuse to install the balanced K26/8 with the Greddy bearings & turbine.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That story was HILARIOUS...totally and truly.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:51 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

Been there. Only my fire was fuel and while I was standing there putting it out with an extinguisher (flames 4 feet high) a lady pulled up next to me yelling at the top of her lungs. YOUR CAR IS ON FIRE....GET AWAY FROM IT.

I looked at the 10 lb fire extinguisher in my hands and the white powder all over the place, looked over at her and said .. You think?

People panic so easily. I'm glad all turned out well with your fire..took a weekend to replace my hood, harnesses etc. My girl was with me in the car when fire burst across the windshield and down her side. She calmly said "Uh, we're on fire" and started strapping out. She was sitting calmly on the curb when the lady pulled up screaming. We still laugh at that. There are women, and then there are women....if you know what I mean. Thank God I'm not with the panic stricken type....I would drive her crazy.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:58 PM
2bridges
Drifting

classic. They have really really good ears

Glad it turned out to be minor deal.

I had a 69 chevy pickup short box step side years back. Stopped at a light to discover smoke coming from behind the seat (is where fuel tank is located) Tank had always leaked at the filler kneck if you fill it too full of gas, and I just had.

Jump out, flip forward the seat to find the wire running up the fuel tank for sendor is red hot and has started carpet on the tank on fire. For five seconds I do a little dance deciding wether to run or not ... finally peeled off t shirt and proceeded to violently beat-attack the flames for an eternity. Finally got it out.

I am out of breath, standing there bare chested and sut covered
Lady that was behind me at the light comes driving around me honking and says - "the light is green *******" throws me the bird and drives off.

cut sendor wire and Proceed shirt-lessto pick up my DATE and let her know I have to go back home to get a shirt what a day
Old 05-11-2007, 03:30 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

That sucks Zero. I have read and seen these types of threads recently. And to be honest it doesn't make me feel good. I have never had a fire under the hood of any 944 I've owned. I'm pretty sure I've come close though. Keep us informed on what you find when you take a closer look, I for one am very interested.

When I got back from Wisconsin after buying my 951 last October, my friend Shaun, and yours as well a.k.a mideastmafia found that there were many small sparks being produced right next to the fuel rail by one of the spark plug wires. It was too close to some metal and was making many small blue sparks. He was like "Do you think this is good", jokingly. Ever since that day I have been paranoid about this, or other things happening that could lead to a fire on my 951. Should each of us carry a fire extinguisher in our p-cars? Can anyone who has had this type of experience elaborate on what one must do to keep the chances of a fire extremely low. It may sound stupid but there is plenty I dont know about when it comes to this subject. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:55 PM
2bridges
Drifting

so in all seriousness - I carry a 2lb extinguisher mounted in car at all times.

menards - on sale like $12 - cheap insurance
Old 05-11-2007, 04:14 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Where would you mount that? Maybe passenger side near the console? Posts like these have really gotten me really paranoid now. It makes me think that its just a matter of time before it happens to my car.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:15 PM
manticore33
Racer

That is classic!

I had a similar situtation with my '90 Talon TSi AWD. I was driving on 315 near OSU campus and had white smoke bellowing out from under the car. So, I grabed the next exit, shut it off, and pulled off the side of the road (at a traffic light of course). The looks I got were priceless.

Luckily, it was just a small coolant hose that ran from the water pipe to the water inlet line on the turbo. It still was funny being owned by a 4" $.25 worth of rubber!

As far as a 3S (3000gt or Stealth), those are very nice cars. However, I'd suggest passing on it for a DSM if you want a turbo quasi-import. The DSMs are easier to work on, cheaper, get better gas mileage, and cheaper to modify. I know the 3S can have transmission problems which are costly to fix. DSM engines, transmissions, and parts are a dime a dozen.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:15 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

I am all in favor of fire extinguishers...but I have to be honest, that 2lb'r you have will not even dent a fuel fire on your motor. My fire laughed in the general direction of a full 5lb'r and kept right on going (fuel pump killed the moment the fire started)....if it had not been for the wrecker behind me in traffic and the 10lb bottle they carry...I would have watched her burn down. There is a 5lb bottle on my cage, and a 10 on the rear floor boards...there will always be at least that when my car is on the street. Yeah, it's paranoid I know....but then the cage completely killed the rear seat so what else is that space behind the front seats for? Yup...fire extinguisher storage.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:11 PM
JE_951
Pro

IF you need a place to mount a extinguisher then now might be a good time to invest in a harness bar. Thats where mine is mounted.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:06 AM
hinch951
Instructor

might sound stupid....but what happens if you pour cold water on hot headers....does it develop cracks in them or??
Old 05-12-2007, 03:47 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Mine are already cracked pretty bad, and yeah, if you soak down hot headers with a garden hose.... bad things happen. You can be pretty much certain that they will crack.

After a quick examination of the damage, it would appear that the cam tower gasket failed immediately overtop of the #1 header. Not sure why, but it is just pouring oil out the front corner immediately behind the cam gear cover.....
Just 2 weeks ago I pulled the balance shaft belt while trying to hunt down a vibration problem. I don't think it's related, but I guess this is some motivation to put it back on?

Without all the smoke impeding my vision I got a chance to get a good look at it, and there is literally no damage at all. Of course I will have to spend 2 days pulling the cam tower, but other than that....

Anybody want to buy a 951 with a blown cam tower gasket? If you come tow it away right now I'll let it go cheap! It might just be time to fix it and sell it, I've had a lot of fun with it, but this is seriously starting to get annoying. It really is a case of you fix one thing and something else will break, so buy it quick while it still has wheels and the A/C still works!
Old 05-12-2007, 01:56 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Originally Posted by manticore33
That is classic!
No here is classic:
I paid a guy about $1100 to install a K26/8 turbo, new re-fitted head, and gasket kit. I gave him all kinds of time and space promised to pay for whatever parts he needed. Oh no it was good to go...bring it in yesterday to have it rechecked..it was good to go..took it about 15 miles up the road today...jumped timing and will not run..."Wrench tells me he thinks the tensioner may have been bad"...WTFE...I took it to the Porsche dealership!

That is classic!
Old 05-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Zero10
Race Car

So I figured out what the problem is. It is spewing oil from behind the rear cam gear cover, I was hoping I could get away with just re-torquing the cam tower bolts but no luck, even after cranking them down it still just pours oil all over my #1 header and down over the oil cooler. Looks like the cam tower is coming off

This project is getting really fun considering I work 70 hours a week.

Quick Reply: Car tried to commit suicide today