Building a 3.0 968 RS motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 07:18 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a 3.0 968 RS motor

Guys,

I've finally made my decision on what big bore motor to build for my 89 951. After much thought and consideration I've decided to build what the factory built for the 968 Turbo RS.

The motor will be a 3.0 block with factory Mahle Motorsports pistons. Oliver connecting rods and 968 cross drilled crank with lightening. Oil squirters, high strength main studs, 2.7 NA head with proper valves for turbo applications.

SFR will provide their stage 2 header, intake, and larger alum radiator and external oil cooler. We'll be using a Garrett T04 with garrett hotside using SFR's 3" downpipe. 83lb injectors and other stuff. Speed Force Racing is in charge of the install and all tuning. Great folks to work with.

I'll keep you posted if interested.

George
Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

very interested! Definitely keep us posted on this monster build up!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:15 PM
lejams
Pro

Good Choices George. Curious why you selected the Olivers? Looks like we're doing very similar setups.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:51 PM
lejams
Pro

Good 968 RS vid - this guy can drive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_rAmwmyq1g
Old 05-05-2007, 10:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by lejams
Waddaya mean Jim? Isn't that how everyone drives home from work each day?
No seriously, very watchable. I love/hate these racing vids as it makes me too jealous for not being able to get on there myself. Hands up who wouldn't jump at the chance to drive at the 'ring....thought so. Also is it just me or does that seem more like an n/a car? The sound for one, and the way those BM's get him so easily in the end. For his obvious skill level I would have thought an 'RS' model would have been a bit harder for that to happen. Just my opinion.
George, glad to see you've made your choice. Hope everything comes together for you. Best of luck.
Patrick
Old 05-06-2007, 11:20 AM
George D
Drifting

Oliver makes custom rods for the company that is building my motor. My builder likes them better than anything else. This was not really my decision.

This is from their website. http://www.oliver-rods.com

Founded in 1890 by Joseph Oliver, the company gained early recognition designing and manufacturing the finest machinery in the world. Since 1890, OLIVER has produced more than 200,000 machine tools.

Incorporating modern technologies, in the 60’s,OLIVER produced machines that processed steel and exotic metals for a customer list that included the most recognized names in the commercial and aerospace industries. Materials processed using OLIVER machinery can be found on the B-1 and Stealth bombers, space capsules and virtually all commercial and military aircraft flying today.

Although separated from OLIVER Machinery Company in 1985, OLIVER Racing Parts draws from more than a century of manufacturing expertise to create what has been called the ultimate I-beam connecting rod. Using CAD (computer aided design) with refinements provided by FEA (Finite Element Analysis), OLIVER has created a new benchmark in quality. Oliver billet and forged steel rods are widely used in NASCAR, Nextel Cup and Busch Grand National cars, NHRA Drag Racing, short track, truck and tractor pulling—in addition to world speed record vehicles at both the Bonneville salt flats and in offshore power boat racing.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:23 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George D
Oliver makes custom rods for the company that is building my motor. My builder likes them better than anything else. This was not really my decision.

This is from their website. http://www.oliver-rods.com

Founded in 1890 by Joseph Oliver, the company gained early recognition designing and manufacturing the finest machinery in the world. Since 1890, OLIVER has produced more than 200,000 machine tools.

Incorporating modern technologies, in the 60’s,OLIVER produced machines that processed steel and exotic metals for a customer list that included the most recognized names in the commercial and aerospace industries. Materials processed using OLIVER machinery can be found on the B-1 and Stealth bombers, space capsules and virtually all commercial and military aircraft flying today.

Although separated from OLIVER Machinery Company in 1985, OLIVER Racing Parts draws from more than a century of manufacturing expertise to create what has been called the ultimate I-beam connecting rod. Using CAD (computer aided design) with refinements provided by FEA (Finite Element Analysis), OLIVER has created a new benchmark in quality. Oliver billet and forged steel rods are widely used in NASCAR, Nextel Cup and Busch Grand National cars, NHRA Drag Racing, short track, truck and tractor pulling—in addition to world speed record vehicles at both the Bonneville salt flats and in offshore power boat racing.

The olivers sound a better bet than the latest Carillos. They are now being made in China and quality control is not what it used to be
Old 05-06-2007, 12:36 PM
lejams
Pro

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Also is it just me or does that seem more like an n/a car? The sound for one
You can here the turbo whining & those BMW's looked damn fast.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:45 PM
George D
Drifting

This is from a quote on an original RS spec car. "Extensive development has been done to the car with horsepower reaching 450 HP and torque at 498 @2750 RPM and 1.3 bar boost."

If this car is setup like the original, it has the factory air box and developes boost very early. Having 498 ft lbs of torque BEFORE 3,000 rpm would feel like a NA car. I could hear the boost on the video, but that car probably feels like a NA car. This is what I want in my project. Thanks for the video post.

George
Old 05-06-2007, 12:49 PM
lejams
Pro

Originally Posted by tommo951
The olivers sound a better bet than the latest Carillos. They are now being made in China and quality control is not what it used to be
I've never heard the Carrillos challenged and am disappointed to hear that they are now fabed in China. Going to have to look into this a bit as I was planning on using them. I know Andial is still selling them and their standards are paramount.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:57 PM
lejams
Pro

George, Oliver Custom forged rods?
Old 05-06-2007, 02:07 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats them. Oliver rods are 100% martinsetic steel for the engineers and material science guys out there. They are recognised as one of the best steel rods.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:15 PM
lejams
Pro

Originally Posted by azmi951
Thats them. Oliver rods are 100% martinsetic steel for the engineers and material science guys out there. They are recognised as one of the best steel rods.
Would you see them as good or better than Carrillos?
Old 05-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

This is a 968 NA set up by its former owner Dirk Baur who raced it at the Nüburgring. It was already talked about here IIRC.
The whine is the transmission.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:03 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

I've never heard the Carrillos challenged and am disappointed to hear that they are now fabed in China. Going to have to look into this a bit as I was planning on using them. I know Andial is still selling them and their standards are paramount.
It may be worth speaking with Chris White, i know on Rolex's car he is using Arrow Precision rods http://www.arrowprecision.co.uk/ . So I followed course and bought some for my engine (I bough tsteel rods although Rolex has Titanianium) . It was a toss up between these and Pauters. Did not know about Olivers at the time. But they seem to be top equipment. I agree it is sad when manufacturing is moved to China on a totally cost basis.

Quick Reply: Building a 3.0 968 RS motor