Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

poor college student looking for modification advice ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:32 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poor college student looking for modification advice ;-)

The spreadsheet also has some maintenance items on it, and the numbers at the bottom might not make sense right now. But the prices should all be accurate.
As you can (maybe) see, I'm planning on:
951MAX chips
Tial 38 Wastegate
Bosch 3 Bar FPR
LR Boost gage/innovative WBO2/MBC
55# Injectors
Home Built Cat-less Exhaust
Venturi Delete
I already have a LR Boost Enhancer. Wouldn't this be redundant with a Tial 38 and an MBC?

If I install these injectors, are the injectors ALL I need to buy? Just plug and play?
http://www.racetronix.com/3102FM.html
The car reaches "2 bar" on the factory boost gage. Does everyone assume I already have chips? The PO was told by the PO before him that the car has Authority chips

Does everyone agree that there's no reason to set a 26/6 above ~15 psi as it will mostly just create heat and be out of it's efficiency range?

I'm hoping for 260+ at the wheels, and the ability to add a bigger turbo, MAF, and have the chips reflashed and make ~340whp. Before I go for that much I'm going to do suspension, clutch, etc first (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/328624-heavily-discussed-topic-yes-i-ve-searched-co-t-to-make-and-deliver-340-rwhp.html)

Last edited by porschefig; 05-01-2007 at 12:35 AM. Reason: wrong picture, new name
Old 04-30-2007, 01:02 AM
944CS
Drifting

IMO catless exhaust systems on any 944 sound like ****. You need another resonator in there, doesn't have to be a catalyst. Don't waste money on a 4 inch either if 340 whp is what your looking to get. And yes a LBE is in itself a manual controller, although not a good one.
About the 2 bar question, it all depends on what your LBE is set at. If it's set at the stock Lindsey setting, then you have an extra 4-5 psi thats coming from somewhere else, most likely chips.
Also, what is a pencil beam spray pattern? Stock is a cone pattern, you want to retain that if you are using 951 max chips
Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

I'm just planning on 3" exhaust. Are you talking "gutted" cats or straight pipe in place that sounds so bad?

LBE should be set at the factory location, and either way, it reached the same peak boost before I had the Boost Enhancer.

I have no idea what pencil beam spray pattern is, I saw that a 'lister (don't remember who) said he buys all his injectors from that link.

How do you tune with the Innovative WBO2?

With this setup, and still 15psi, should I just expect a little better spool up and the ability to hold the boost to redline? Plus more driveability and better idle from the Venturi delete, MAX 951 chips, and clean AFR via WBO2.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:35 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I would go with the Zeitronix WBO2.

Yes, any modern chips will give much better performance and MUCH better safety in tuning than Autothority.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:49 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Looks like the Zeitronix takes care of the boost gage and WBO2..
What do you (or anyone) then suggest as a "stand alone engine management or piggy back fuel control" Now I'm guessing that I would need one of those to tune w/ the "standalone" Innovative WBO2 as well? I might be completely missing something?

"No matter if you have a stand alone engine management system or a piggy back fuel control, the Wideband Air Fuel Ratio Meter is a must for a serious tuner! Finally you can tune for more power, closer to the edge, precisely monitoring Air/Fuel ratio Boost, EGT, RPM and throttle position datalogging up to 9 hours of data with a blazing rate of 74 samples per seconds per graph."

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm
Old 04-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get Russell to do your chips to match the injectors and the rest of your setup, you won't need a piggy back.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:40 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

In that case, I wouldn't need a WBO2 either?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:40 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Come to think of it, as I sit right now, I'm able to max out the factory boost gage at 2800 rpms, so I'm already blind as to what my boost really is. (Atleast, I think it's "maxxed out" there is no "peg" does anybody know if the factory boost gage turns past "2 bar" if you run more boost that 14.7 psi??)

So, I take it everyone with a WBO2 also has something to tune with? It would be pointless for me at this point? What do you suggest for tuning in that case?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porschefig
In that case, I wouldn't need a WBO2 either?
Wide band is a good idea for you to monitor your AFR and detect an issue before you go into meltdown.

I suggest you contact Russell Berry. He's a really decent guy and will be well placed to give the advice you're after.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First mod should be a real boost gauge. The factory one is good for nothing
Old 05-01-2007, 01:41 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geneqco
Wide band is a good idea for you to monitor your AFR and detect an issue before you go into meltdown.

I suggest you contact Russell Berry. He's a really decent guy and will be well placed to give the advice you're after.
Seems like sound advice, thanks!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:54 AM
944CS
Drifting

you should install a zeitronix and log some data from around town driving and also wide open throttle runs to see what the autothority chips are doing. Some people have bad luck with them, but that doesn't mean the cars were running correctly to begin with.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:45 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 944CS
you should install a zeitronix and log some data from around town driving and also wide open throttle runs to see what the autothority chips are doing. Some people have bad luck with them, but that doesn't mean the cars were running correctly to begin with.
Another great idea. I'm not entirely certain on what to buy for performance modifications just yet and there's no hurry. I could certainly get "just" all the maint. stuff, exhaust, and WBO2/MBC/boost gage for now.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porschefig
Another great idea. I'm not entirely certain on what to buy for performance modifications just yet and there's no hurry. I could certainly get "just" all the maint. stuff, exhaust, and WBO2/MBC/boost gage for now.
Thats the best route to start, evrything else builds off of these items. Mbc should go with chips and wg. If you work in stages you get to enjoy each improvement and then modify further when you get bored with current power levels.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:49 AM
attyjeff
Racer

Look at my mods, it was not that much, and let me tell you, I'm not no where near the fastest car on here, BUT I have walked a many cars, the last being a 6.0 GTO, these parts seem to all work together, now thats just my .02, Jeff

Quick Reply: poor college student looking for modification advice ;-)