Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HELP!!! Need water passage head bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 03:02 PM
turboted
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Need water passage head bolts

Anybody know where I can find these bolts? None of the major part suppliers have a clue (Pelican, Paragon, etc.) and I just spent an hour at the dealership reviewing microfiche...NO LOVE. I can't re-use the original bolts, as 20 years of heat cycling warped them both (I'm lucky I got them out to begin with). The smaller of the two looks like an intake manifold bolt...but I want to make SURE before I start slapping the wrong hardware into the head. For those who have replaced head gaskets, have you ever seen this before? HELP!
Attached Images     
Old 04-26-2007, 03:03 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M8x1.25

Fastenal has them and most hardware stores have something close. I've run without them without any issues before.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:12 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to the hardware store and buy them. You will have to estimate on length, I can't remember off the top of my head what they are. Mike is correct with the m8x1.25. the short one, IIRC, is the same length as the intake bolts, but it needs to be a full thread.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:26 PM
turboted
Racer

Thanks guys. I'm not as brave as MPD47 to run the car without these bolts installed. But I'll check out the hardware store on my way home tonight.

Since these bolts connect a water passage, they must withstand some pretty high temperatures. Should I be concerned about the heat capacity of an off-the-shelf hardware-store bolt? Will a grade-8 bolt handle the heat ok?
Old 04-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Heat is not an issue. At most they are seeing about 250 degrees at that water passage. Possibly a little more with the car off and heat soak.

Put a little antiseize on those before installing them..in the event you ever need to take them out, it will make your life alot easier.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:04 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Those 2 bolts gave me the shakes. I had good luck getting all bolts off up to that point. Those two felt like they were twisting and about to break but finally gave that satifying 'pop'. I still can't find a torque spec on them but I'm sure it's not considered in any clamping forces speced for the head. I would guess 30-35 ft-lb. max. although it felt like 75 to get them to break loose.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:24 PM
turboted
Racer

Ha - me, too! I was worried I would never get the head off the motor because of these two stupid little bolts. They were tough. I can't find 'official' torque specs for them, either. However, another Rennlister wrote up a great thread about the HG replacement (I forget who, can probably search) and said to torque them to 15 ft-lbs on re-assembly. I'll be sure to use anti-sieze and save myself a headache for the next HG replacement.

Fastenal says they have what I need...so I'll swing by tonight. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I too was very scared about those bolts when reading up before doing the headgaket on my car. I gave the top of the bolts a solid shot with a hammer and they came out with finger pressure practically.

The reason they become problems is sometimes water leaks into the threaded hole and corrodes the heck out of the bolts. Mine were like this but luckily came write out.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:20 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay?

I always torqued down those bolts first before i torqued down the cylinder head, following clarks manual.....
Old 04-26-2007, 06:33 PM
turboted
Racer

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Okay?

I always torqued down those bolts first before i torqued down the cylinder head, following clarks manual.....
Uh-oh...I didn't. I tightened up the head studs first. Crap, I hope this won't be a problem...I hope not, since these bolts don't apply significant clamping force. RIGHT??? I'll be super pissed if I have to replace another HG any time soon.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:34 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

I think you will be fine there isnt to much clamping they do anyway

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Need water passage head bolts