Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone have experience w/ Performancekote in Orlando? toddk??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:24 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have experience w/ Performancekote in Orlando? toddk??

Looking to get some exhaust components and heatshields thermal coated, anyone have experience w/ Performancekote in Orlando? I was planning on sending my stuff off to Jethot but these guys are local and figured I'd save on shipping if everything else is equal. TIA!

Toddk...I think I read in a post that you had some stuff coated by them a while back...how's your coating holding up?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

And, can anyone comment on prep work needed before sending things off to the plater? ie: putting garbage hardware into threaded wholes so they don't get plated.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd be interested to know this as well.

Thanks,
Old 04-19-2007, 11:31 PM
Acetylene
Pro

me too
Old 04-20-2007, 01:46 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hopefully toddk will chime in...I'm pretty sure he has had plating work done by these guys but I think the company was under a different name at the time (hyperkote). About what time frame were you local guys thinking about getting things plated?

Here's the response to an email that I sent them....sounds good to me so far:

Hi,
I am looking to get some exhaust components and heatshields on my 944 turbo thermal coated....but have a couple of questions first:
- Do you coat exhaust pieces on the outside only or inside and out?
- What is the thickness of your ceramichrome coating?
- Do you recommend your coatings inside of exhaust pipes before the turbo?
- Do I need to do any prep work on the components before bringing them to you?....meaning put junk bolts into threads so they dont get coated?
Thanks!
Dennis

Dennis ,
Thanks for the interest. We coat all parts inside and out. Generally build thickness ranges from .0015" - .003" and is not an issue in threads. On a 944T I would recommend coating all intake and exhaust plumbing as well as the turbo housing itself. We have the largest polisher in the state and are able to polish parts up to 6' in length. Keeping the heat inside the turbo exhaust will really help the turbo spool. On the same note keeping the engine bay heat out of the intake plumbing will increase power (cooler air is more dense). Priorities should be hotside turbo plumbing and turbo housing. As far as prep we just ask that the parts are degreased and cleaned. Blasting is not necessary as we will blast regardless.
Thanks Chris @ PerformanceKote 407-445-2026
Old 04-20-2007, 06:49 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's going to be a while for me, I was planning to have this done once I pull my motor for replacement. Hopefully mid summer to early fall. If you get stuff done before I'm ready, please report back.

Thanks,
Old 04-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Acetylene
Pro

I was also waiting until the fall, but if there is a great to be had price wise, I am game before then.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:18 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

As a data point for your consideration. I spoke to Precision turbo about ceramic coating my exhaust. They had 7 turbo charged champions last year in various types of racing. They said none of them have coated their exhaust in any way. I'm not saying it won't help, I'm just saying if world champs are not using it to get them even a little bit of edge....I have to wonder just how much good it will do.

In light of that info, I chose not to bother with the crossover. My headers are already ceramic coated, not to help spool but to keep heat out of the engine bay. At high boost levels, anything you can do to keep heat out of the engine bay is a good thing in my humble opinion. If I were to coat anything again, I would give White Lightning from Swain a serious look. The jet hot type coating on my headers has pretty much burned off from what I can see....took 5 years of hard track abuse to do it though.

As I said, just a data point to consider.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:30 PM
fly944
8th Gear

I had some stuff done at performance kote last month and all I can say is WOW . I swear there is faster turbo spool . I had them do just my headers , down pipe and turbo housing off my Talon and it looks as good as chrome . The guy there said he will give a 3 year warranty as well . I think I am going to have him do my intake on my 944NA next .
Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Finally got my stuff off to the platers.

I sent 18 pcs off to performancekote and I'm happy w/ the results. Total cost was $640.00 tax included to get parts beaded and coated w/ their ceramikrome coating inside and out. Pictures really don't do the finish justice...sorry my digi decided to strip it's auto focus gear tonight. Anywho, once everything is on the car I'll take some temp readings to see how the stuff really performs.

cat is fo reference only...he did not get plated.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience w/ Performancekote in Orlando? toddk??