Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:48 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed

Originally Posted by sharky47
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!

I JUST bled BlacknRedGT's car the other day when I was sick as a dog............didn't know the damned thing would bleed itself!!!!!

If that is the case, I will begin installing these things on my cars - that feature alone is worth the price of admission.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:53 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As part of my 2.8 L rebuild LR is putting the steam vent kit on. I've watched the clear vent line on Dave Lindsey's car. Not much going on when the car is cold, but after it warms up and you rev the car it starts flowing little air bubbles.

If you read the technical paper on Red Line Water Wetter you will find that hot spots occur in the cooling system in low flow areas. In these hot spots the coolant boils producing vapor or air bubbles that insulate the area causing even less cooling to that area. If the area is large enough the vapor will become superheated steam that creates a huge amount of both heat and pressure in that area. Water Wetter helps reduce these areas by changing the surface tension of the coolant so smaller bubbles can break away from the hot surface.

LR found a sizeable pocket in the #4 cylinder area of the head near a common head gasket failure point that does not have a communicating passage like all the other similar pockets in the head. The LR steam vent kit taps into this pocket providing coolant flow out of an otherwise stagnant passage. It is not designed to increase the coolant flow through the entire head, or make up for a flow difference from having or not having the heater plumbing operating. It's sole purpose is to create a passage from that one pocket to reduce the hot spot in that one area.

If you have not pumped up the performance and/or do not drive you car to the extent that heat is a problem, then you problably do not need the steam vent kit.

All of the problems with my 350 rwhp 2.5 liter motor without a steam vent kit were in the area of cylinder number 4.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ski is right for those 944 cars not using a heater the steam vent kit is pointless. The heater valve is closed most of the time so the water at the back of the head is not getting much flow through! This is what Lindsey is trying to sell to you, a way to improve flow at the back of the head! Its a good idea for street cars with heaters, but for those cars running no heater with a block off plate, your head is going to get HOT SPOTS!
This is not my understanding of the steam vent kit. Lindsey is claiming there is a large cavity at the back of the head that creates excess heat due to air bubbles that get trapped inside it. They mention nothing about trying to improve flow, rather the purpose is to release the trapped steam. Whether or not the head is capped off to the heater core should not change the air cavity that exists. Now, if I am missing something please correct me..
Old 04-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

As part of my 2.8 L rebuild LR is putting the steam vent kit on. I've watched the clear vent line on Dave Lindsey's car. Not much going on when the car is cold, but after it warms up and you rev the car it starts flowing little air bubbles.
Is this on Daves street car? Do they also have it on the track car?
Thanks for the write up..
Old 04-17-2007, 10:20 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, my observations were on Dave's white car.

Don't know if the LR track beast has the SVK or not. I would assume that if they had the head off any time after they started selling the SVK it would be on there.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:40 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Old thread:

But is there a way to add this without removing the heads?

We have it on one of our 944 race cars, but I'm picking up a 951 street/tracker
setup to push over 400HP and I'd like to add this.

As others have said == the self bleeding feature is worth it :-)

Mike
Old 06-08-2012, 02:43 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Old thread:

But is there a way to add this without removing the heads?

We have it on one of our 944 race cars, but I'm picking up a 951 street/tracker
setup to push over 400HP and I'd like to add this.

As others have said == the self bleeding feature is worth it :-)

Mike
btw RKDinOKC car blew a head gasket not long after,I ended up buying the car and parting it out 6 years ago
Old 06-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

The vent didn't make a difference in my experience, and you cannot get to it correctly without removing the head. Save yourself the time.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:26 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Wormhole
The vent didn't make a difference in my experience, and you cannot get to it correctly without removing the head. Save yourself the time.
you have a pm

Quick Reply: CYLINDER HEAD STEAM VENT KIT