Correct piston rings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:33 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
FYI, there seems to be some old information in this thread. After researching this issue, it would appear that Goetze now manufactures only one set of rings for all of the 944 cars (they may have made some different sets in the past, but now there is only one). Here is the info from my supplier:

Thanks,

Wayne

Thanks for the update and clarification. I believe what you say but I do have to ask why more than 1 vendor (not Pelican )is still selling separate ring sets for the 944 and 951 and at different prices? If the part numbers were combined in 1997 it seems Goetz would have got the word out to suppliers unless they stocked up on a 10 year supply of old 944 rings?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
FYI, there seems to be some old information in this thread. After researching this issue, it would appear that Goetze now manufactures only one set of rings for all of the 944 cars (they may have made some different sets in the past, but now there is only one). Here is the info from my supplier:

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne, there is a substantial difference between the N/A and Turbo ring sets. And there is potential liability if a 951 customer has a ring failure using the wrong rings. So I would recommend that you double check it - I am fairly certain that the information you were given by your supplier is incorrect.

Two years ago, ordered a set of rings for a 951 from a well known/respected vendor (in southern Texas), and they sent me an N/A ring set. I called and discussed it with them, and at the time, they believed that the rings were interchangeable, and the N/A part number was the only one available from Goetze.

I spoke with a local p-car shop owner about this - the one that told me never use N/A rings in a Turbo, they can crack (with the detail he used to describe the failure, I assumed that it was from first hand experience). So I searched for and ordered a set of Geotze 951 rings from another vendor (in Nevada).

Called the first vendor back to return the N/A rings, told them that Goetze does make different rings for the 951, gave them the part number off the box, and they have been stocking/selling separate 951 rings since then.

Last edited by Oddjob; 06-05-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:31 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Unless the 944 NA ring was "Superceded" into the 951 Ring pack, then this is very incorrect, or very discouraging. 928 Engines use the same ring sizes, and our rings have been superceded (to a NEGATIVE downgraded position, as our original rings were much more like the 951 rings in later S4 engines) to the 944 NA rings, and when given the info and opportunity, we use the 951 rings.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

From what I'm seeing the only Goetz ring is now the original 951 ring set they have always made Goetz #08-323300-00. I feel better knowing the Goetz part number than a converted Porsche number. I think it's the NA ring set Wayne says has been discontinued by Goetz. It's hard to believe that the 951 ring set would cause any harm in an NA as long as the ring side clearances and end gaps are the same for a turbo and NA pistons but they are not. Are the ring grooves the same width on 944 and 951 pistons? Let's hope so. Clear as Mud right?
Old 06-05-2007, 05:02 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi again folks. Sorry for the confusion. It is my belief that Goetz has discontinued the NA (Normally Aspirated) ring set, and now only sells the Turbo (951 & 928 GTS) ring set. I have a scan of the current Goetz catalog here, and it basically shows the same thing. You can see where it says M44/51 - that's the early 944 engines and the Turbo engines listed there. I hope this helps clear up the confusion...

-Wayne
Attached Images  
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-05-2007, 05:04 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Thanks for the update and clarification. I believe what you say but I do have to ask why more than 1 vendor (not Pelican )is still selling separate ring sets for the 944 and 951 and at different prices? If the part numbers were combined in 1997 it seems Goetz would have got the word out to suppliers unless they stocked up on a 10 year supply of old 944 rings?
In the old days, before everything was automated at Pelican, I could see a change like this taking years to get implemented. They have probably superceded the old part number so that when you order the old #, the new one comes. This happens quite a lot, and sometimes you don't even realize it...

-Wayne

Quick Reply: Correct piston rings?