Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil pressure relief valve - old 3-piece type

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:54 PM
turboted
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure relief valve - old 3-piece type

I know this topic has been discussed many times before, but I can't find any previous posts that address this question, specifically.

I've got an '86 turbo with the old style 3-piece oil pressure relief valve (the 3 pieces are: the piston, the spring, and the bolt). The piston came out of the block without an o-ring on the end of it. It appears that an o-ring should be fitted to the end of the piston, as there is a recessed groove cut into the end of it. However, there doesn't appear to be enough clearance between the piston and the bore for an o-ring to fit (the clearance is pretty tight - there is just enough room for the piston to move back/forth ). The newer 1-piece valves DO have an o-ring on the end of them; but from the pictures I've seen, the newer 1-piece valves are slightly smaller in diameter.

Does anybody know if the old-style valve should be installed with an o-ring on the piston or not? My Porsche dealer has no idea - as Porsche now sells ONLY the retrofit 1-piece valves. The guys at Paragon are also unsure. According to Clark's Garage, ALL OPRV's should be fitted with o-rings. I don't want to spend $250 on an upgraded 1-piece valve when I have no reason to suspect my 3-piece valve is faulty. I've never have any problems with oil pressure, I'm just replacing the oil cooler gaskets as a proactive measure while I've got the head off the motor.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:26 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

no oring
Old 04-12-2007, 01:50 PM
tyro
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
no oring
+1
Old 04-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Ted. A little off topic, but did you by any chance buy your car from a guy in Indiana? It looks familiar.

Oh yeah. No o-ring necessary.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:34 PM
turboted
Racer

All - thanks for the help.

Mike - yes, I bought the car from a guy named Justin in Evansville about a year and a half ago. I believe he's a former Rennlister...real nice guy. This was the cleanest 951 I could find anywhere...I scoured the country for about 6 months before I flew to Indiana to buy it. It ran great for about a year, then everything started to leak at the same time (typical). Right now, I'm replacing the steering rack, rod bearings, oil pan gasket, head gasket, clutch master and slave cylinders, and all of the suspension components. I'm about half-way through the project now...all of the parts are cleaned/fixed and I'm working on re-assembly. Also just replaced the clutch - THAT was a big job.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know Justin and your car. It's one of the cleanest I've seen, and I'm glad that you're taking such good care of it. Justin actually just bought another 951 and has been posting about it on here. His handle is judson951. It's good to have you and your car on Rennlist. Welcome!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:09 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome Ted, was wondering when you were going to start posting! Im one of Justin's good friends- Ive got lots of pictures of your 951 with mine
Old 04-12-2007, 03:29 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this a while back, and yesterday.

The old 3-piece OPRV requires only the o-ring/washer for the bolt:

Old 04-12-2007, 03:44 PM
turboted
Racer

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Welcome Ted, was wondering when you were going to start posting! Im one of Justin's good friends- Ive got lots of pictures of your 951 with mine
Thanks Sam. Send me a few of those pics...I would love to see them!

Off topic - here's a funny story about the car. I was driving it home from Indiana right after I bought it from Justin. I stopped at a Subway outside Lexington, KY...got back in the car...and it wouldn't start! I f-r-e-a-k-e-d out. I called Justin immediately (I was a little miffed). Justin called a buddy who also owned a 951 (was it you?) who suggested the problem might be a failing DME relay. Sure enough...I pulled the relay, shook it a few times, re-installed it, and the car started right up! Justin was super helpful throughout the whole ordeal. Luckily, the Porsche dealer in Lexington had a relay in stock, so I was able to purchase a new one right away. The rest of the trip home to Tampa was (thankfully) uneventful.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you have gone to all the effort to remove your oil cooler housing, why don't you just install the upgraded 1 piece valve? I just resealed my cooler housing on my 86 and upgraded to the one piece valve.

On a side note, make sure you have the oil cooler housing alignment tool. It needs to be in place BEFORE you torque the housing bolts. If the housing is not aligned properly, you run the risk of the oil pressure valve binding. If it binds, it will affect your oil pressure.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Judson951
Drifting

Originally Posted by turboted
Thanks Sam. Send me a few of those pics...I would love to see them!

Off topic - here's a funny story about the car. I was driving it home from Indiana right after I bought it from Justin. I stopped at a Subway outside Lexington, KY...got back in the car...and it wouldn't start! I f-r-e-a-k-e-d out. I called Justin immediately (I was a little miffed). Justin called a buddy who also owned a 951 (was it you?) who suggested the problem might be a failing DME relay. Sure enough...I pulled the relay, shook it a few times, re-installed it, and the car started right up! Justin was super helpful throughout the whole ordeal. Luckily, the Porsche dealer in Lexington had a relay in stock, so I was able to purchase a new one right away. The rest of the trip home to Tampa was (thankfully) uneventful.
Sam was the the guy I called. You need to get the car ready and get to 944 fest. I will let you borrow my Grand champion trophy for the weekend.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:54 PM
turboted
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill
Since you have gone to all the effort to remove your oil cooler housing, why don't you just install the upgraded 1 piece valve?
If it ain't broke, why fix it? Plus, the retrofit 1-piece valve is like $250. Already got the alignment tool...I agree with your advice. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:56 PM
turboted
Racer

Originally Posted by Judson951
Sam was the the guy I called. You need to get the car ready and get to 944 fest. I will let you borrow my Grand champion trophy for the weekend.
Hey - nice avatar!! When/where is 944 fest this year? Good to hear from you, Justin.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you do reuse you 3 piece valve then keep a close eye on the oil pressure for a while. They can be very temperamental when they are reinstalled.
I would recommend the updated version – the down side on keeping your old one is sudden oil pressure loss – and you never know when!
Old 04-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Judson951
Drifting

Originally Posted by turboted
Hey - nice avatar!! When/where is 944 fest this year? Good to hear from you, Justin.

A quick picture for you.

Check this thread out. It is in Ohio you can stop and see your in laws if I remember correctly.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=944+fest

Good to hear from you also I just sent you a PM look in the upper right hand of your screen.

Later, Justin

Quick Reply: oil pressure relief valve - old 3-piece type